All things Universal Studios Hollywood

SoCalDisneyLover

If you are vaccinated, you are extremely unlikely to get or transmit COVID. The entire purpose of getting vaccinated is so you don't get COVID.
Not true. You are extremely unlikely to die or require hospitalization. There is still roughly a 65% chance of catching it, especially in situations where it is running rampant. Once you catch it, you can spread it, no different than before. Keeps the ball rolling after that.

BasiltheBatLord

or if the numbers are bad... hopefully they do and help slow transmission down again. If it's only indoors, what's the big?
The issue is that there is no off ramp and our leaders seem to be uninterested in providing any kind of offramp.

Corona has been around for a year and a half now, vaccines are widely available in most of the developed world. Almost half of the U.S. is fully vaccinated. Corona is going to be here forever, the idea that we could “get rid” of Corona ended in March 2020.

So the question is, do we allow individuals to make their own choices considering all available resources have been freely given to them, or do we continue demanding that all of society continue to bend itself around the virus despite the enormous economic and mental health costs to wide swaths of society?

At what point, specifically, should mask mandates, social distancing etc. end? I’d like to hear supporters of these policies answer.

October82

The issue is that there is no off ramp and our leaders seem to be uninterested in providing any kind of offramp.

Corona has been around for a year and a half now, vaccines are widely available in most of the developed world. Almost half of the U.S. is fully vaccinated. Corona is going to be here forever, the idea that we could “get rid” of Corona ended in March 2020.

So the question is, do we allow individuals to make their own choices considering all available resources have been freely given to them, or do we continue demanding that all of society continue to bend itself around the virus despite the enormous economic and mental health costs to wide swaths of society?

At what point, specifically, should mask mandates, social distancing etc. end? I’d like to hear supporters of these policies answer.

70-80% completion rate of the second dose, assuming the clinical trial efficacy of ~90% persists longterm and the R0 of the dominant variant is ~2.5-3.

SoCalDisneyLover

Part of the reason Covid will be around forever, is that instead of completely containing it, we've consistently been lax, and aside from brief periods of time, have never taken it seriously as a society, and as a human race for that matter.

So Covid could likely be around in some form, forever. But it could either be a nuisance, that like the common flu, does kill people each year. Or it could continue to run rampant, killing hundreds each day, and while spreading, create variants that gradually reduce the protection provided by the vaccines. Then watch hundreds of daily deaths turn into thousands. THIS IS NOT HYPERBOLE!

We spiked the football prematurely, when we hadn't reached the end zone yet. I knew the whole honor system would never work. It was a Complete joke. California is 51% fully vaccinated, yet 80%+ went without masks. And some of the 20% still wearing masks, were fully vaccinated, so do the math.

It's simple, people get vaccinated, or they wear masks. We can't check whether they're vaccinated, so it's the good 'ol American "Honor System?" Then We ALL Wear Masks. Or people get vaccinated, and we reach herd immunity this decade. So when can we stop wearing masks and distancing? When people get vaccinated, and the virus is not spreading like a fire.

This whole stupid fighting over a virus that's killed 620,000 Americans. I'm genuinely wondering how we'll get past this. It's not going to be with 40% Unvaccinated. It's not going to happen with 60% vaccinated, and 90% without masks.

Just to refresh. We won't get vaccinated. CHECK! We won't wear masks. CHECK! We won't social distance. CHECK! We won't show a vaccination card. CHECK! We won't get tested. CHECK! We Will go back to normal, as if it's 2019. CHECK!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

What did you say about a ramp??

BasiltheBatLord

70-80% completion rate of the second dose, assuming the clinical trial efficacy of ~90% persists longterm and the R0 of the dominant variant is ~2.5-3.
Do you think that’s ever going to happen? Look at how much daily vaccinations have fallen compared to a couple months ago.
Then We ALL Wear Masks. Or people get vaccinated,
What happens if/when not enough people get vaccinated to reach your target. Masks forever? Good luck with that.

To borrow an analogy from Jonathan Haidt, you can either prepare the road for the person or the person for the road. One choice here seems obviously the more sensible option.

October82

Do you think that’s ever going to happen? Look at how much daily vaccinations have fallen compared to a couple months ago.

Honestly - it doesn't matter whether I think that will or won't happen. That's what has to happen to prevent an awful lot of people from dying needlessly. We have choices to make, and frankly, they're not difficult ones. Get vaccinated or wear a mask. When community spread ends, we can move on. This is a force of nature that we're dealing with, and we keep trying to bargain and compromise with it. That's a futile approach and doomed to failure.

mickEblu

This my concern as well. What kind of precedent are we setting here? Is this how we re going to deal with any new virus of the year that comes around? Is this life moving forward? Masks mandates etc intermittently throughout the year until the end of time?

PiratesMansion

This my concern as well. What kind of precedent are we setting here? Is this how we re going to deal with any new virus of the year that comes around? Is this life moving forward? Masks mandates etc intermittently throughout the year until the end of time?
I think the precedent was set early on in this entire process last year. Just politicize everything, whether or not it should be. And we're still dealing with the repercussions of that.

Tamandua

Do you really think this is about a virus?

If covid were a really scary virus, people would be fighting each other for the vaccine. Instead you have half the country more worried about the side effects of the vaccine than the virus itself, and now you have a bunch of people who only got the vaccine so they could go back to normal life ed off because the government, of course, is welching on that deal.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Do you really think this is about a virus?

If covid were a really scary virus, people would be fighting each other for the vaccine. Instead you have half the country more worried about the side effects of the vaccine than the virus itself, and now you have a bunch of people who only got the vaccine so they could go back to normal life ****ed off because the government, of course, is welching on that deal.
Seriously, get vaccinated.

SoCalDisneyLover

Vaccine or no vaccine, the Delta strand doesn't really care.

Also, I just clicked on this thread, why are we talking about the "varus" in a thread about USH?
I think because L.A. County says masks will be required indoors starting Sunday, and USH is in L.A. County.

And the vaccine gives you about 67% protection against catching it, and about 95% against something serious. If you're not vaccinated, your odds are not as good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom