All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Disneyhead'71

I wonder if their Asian parks are affected the same as Disney's parks are regarding the Corona virus.
Universal doesn't have any parks open yet in China, so they aren't being hit nearly as hard. They have pulled all the US based execs and creatives out of China (about 1,800 people). But construction is still ongoing. Universal Studios Japan is seeing reduced attendance because tourism in Japan is down right now because of the virus. But it isn't dire.

Phroobar

What if Secret life of Pets Off the Leash is better than Rise before Dawn?

The innovative ride will blend live, dimensional and animated characters with hyper-realistic media and projection mapping to fully immerse guests in a bustling New York City landscape. Seated within ride vehicles that resemble cardboard boxes, guests will travel along a track towards the pet adoption event and the ultimate happy ending: forever homes.

The state-of-the-art ride will employ a series of technological firsts that combine sophisticated facial recognition with enhanced gesture tracking, which helps to identify each guest as a unique stray puppy for the duration of the ride. Every time guests experience “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” they will likely see themselves characterized as a different stray puppy, creating a uniquely new experience with each ride.

Disney Analyst

What if Secret life of Pets Off the Leash is better than Rise before Dawn?

The innovative ride will blend live, dimensional and animated characters with hyper-realistic media and projection mapping to fully immerse guests in a bustling New York City landscape. Seated within ride vehicles that resemble cardboard boxes, guests will travel along a track towards the pet adoption event and the ultimate happy ending: forever homes.

The state-of-the-art ride will employ a series of technological firsts that combine sophisticated facial recognition with enhanced gesture tracking, which helps to identify each guest as a unique stray puppy for the duration of the ride. Every time guests experience “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” they will likely see themselves characterized as a different stray puppy, creating a uniquely new experience with each ride.

Nah. Me riding in a cardboard box as a stray puppy is not my idea of good ride...

DavidDL

Interesting tidbit I read (if it's true), is the entire reason we are even getting a Secret Life of Pets omnimover here in Hollywood is because there wasn't enough space here for the Yoshi omnimover attraction that is coming to the other Super Nintendo Land(s) being built. So basically, the budget for an omnimover attraction was approved/factored in to Super Nintendo Land here, but with all the space constraints Universal decided to go ahead and use the budget/ride system for a different attraction on the upper lot, Pets. It should be fun to compare the two when they're both completed.

Phroobar

Interesting tidbit I read (if it's true), is the entire reason we are even getting a Secret Life of Pets omnimover here in Hollywood is because there wasn't enough space here for the Yoshi omnimover attraction that is coming to the other Super Nintendo Land(s) being built. So basically, the budget for an omnimover attraction was approved/factored in to Super Nintendo Land here, but with all the space constraints Universal decided to go ahead and use the budget/ride system for a different attraction on the upper lot, Pets. It should be fun to compare the two when they're both completed.
I didn't know it was an omnimover. I think that is a first for Universal. So instead of sitting in a box, we get to ride Yoshi. Looking at the size of the building on the upper lot, there is no room for it down by Mario Kart on the lower lot. I think it should nicely compliment the Minions ride across from it.

Phroobar

I guess as long as we don't look like this on the ride we should be fine.

hudson-swift-corden-cats.jpg

DavidDL

I didn't know it was an omnimover. I think that is a first for Universal. So instead of sitting in a box, we get to ride Yoshi. Looking at the size of the building on the upper lot, there is no room for it down by Mario Kart on the lower lot. I think it should nicely compliment the Minions ride across from it.

Technically I don't know if it is one either. But the term kept getting tossed around over on a Universal fan forum, along with the bit about the Yoshi attraction. I just went ahead and tried to find the source for my claim and now I can't so I'd take what I said with a grain of salt, I could be totally wrong and hopefully if someone has more information than me, they can chime in. I guess it could totally end up being a dark ride and I just saw a rumor and ran with it.

Disneyhead'71

Interesting tidbit I read (if it's true), is the entire reason we are even getting a Secret Life of Pets omnimover here in Hollywood is because there wasn't enough space here for the Yoshi omnimover attraction that is coming to the other Super Nintendo Land(s) being built. So basically, the budget for an omnimover attraction was approved/factored in to Super Nintendo Land here, but with all the space constraints Universal decided to go ahead and use the budget/ride system for a

different attraction on the upper lot, Pets. It should be fun to compare the two when they're both completed.
Technically I don't know if it is one either. But the term kept getting tossed around over on a Universal fan forum, along with the bit about the Yoshi attraction. I just went ahead and tried to find the source for my claim and now I can't so I'd take what I said with a grain of salt, I could be totally wrong and hopefully if someone has more information than me, they can chime in. I guess it could totally end up being a dark ride and I just saw a rumor and ran with it.
Here is a blurry shot of the plastic wrapped Yoshi ride vehicles. It is definitely an Omnimover. And yes, SLoP is the same ride system.

82975951-484479492225529-4721064420907944685-n-2.jpg

And here is an interesting tidbit from the SLoP press release.

"Combining 64 technologically-advanced animated figures, “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” invites guests to meet some of their favorite characters from the movies, who themselves have transformed into dimensional beings. From blinking eyes to eye and eyebrow movements, from head tilts to head nods, from moving mouths to smiles, from ear curls to lip curls, from full torso twists to physically walking, the depth of mobility and function programmed within each of these loveable characters creates an experience unlike any other theme park ride."

Last edited:

DisneyEthan

Yes that is true

DisneyEthan

Yes this will be an omnimover style attraction

DavidDL

This bit of news from another site regarding Secret Life of Pets troubles/confuses me..

"Virtual Line technology is another component of the experience, designed to help guests maximize their leisure time at the theme park. Guests can access Virtual Line via the official Universal Studios Hollywood app, available for free in the App Store and on Google Play or they can visit the Virtual Line kiosk located in the New York City subway station, situated adjacent to the ride. Both provide guests with options to experience the ride based on the next available times and will be available to guests within the theme park as needed.

Virtual Line complements the ride’s non-traditional queue which invites guests to explore the area at their leisure and freely roam the ride’s corridors—reminiscent of Katie’s NYC apartment building—explore dachshund Buddy’s apartment, Snowball owner Molly’s living room as well as Max and Duke’s apartment, until they reach the ride’s boarding station."

So it sounds like they're doing a virtual line like Rise of the Resistance but then they mention a queue option.. but then call it a "non-traditional" and exploratory type of queue. Which makes me worry that they are simply referring to the former Baker st. (now Pets Place) as something for you to wander around while waiting for your group to be called? Or maybe part of the inside of the building houses a type of play area for folks to explore while waiting? Either way, I am a little confused..

truecoat

Can you sight your source please.

Here is a blurry shot of the plastic wrapped Yoshi ride vehicles. It is definitely an Omnimover. And yes, SLoP is the same ride system.

82975951-484479492225529-4721064420907944685-n-2.jpg

And here is an interesting tidbit from the SLoP press release.

"Combining 64 technologically-advanced animated figures, “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” invites guests to meet some of their favorite characters from the movies, who themselves have transformed into dimensional beings. From blinking eyes to eye and eyebrow movements, from head tilts to head nods, from moving mouths to smiles, from ear curls to lip curls, from full torso twists to physically walking, the depth of mobility and function programmed within each of these loveable characters creates an experience unlike any other theme park ride."

Homemade Imagineering

Hey y’all, I thought I’d just share something interesting with you guys. I decided to lay the E.T. adventure ride layout over the revenge of the mummy layout for fun, and I drew the E.T. layout based off of a travel channel documentary, which includes a segment about E.T. where they show a show control room, which includes many computers that have the layout mapped out on them. Keep in mind, this is the Japan layout, but every E.T. adventure was identical in terms of layout, with the differences being in animatronic functionality and set design ( still, very minimal difference). Anyways, I’ll post the screenshots from the documentary here, and my drawing of the layout over mummy.

Attachments

• B4B74567-F61A-46EA-924A-A27B71CD32B9.png
    B4B74567-F61A-46EA-924A-A27B71CD32B9.png
    561.4 KB · Views: 79
  • FC6A9DF0-4B3A-486F-892A-92523F4DF47E.png
    FC6A9DF0-4B3A-486F-892A-92523F4DF47E.png
    742.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 12CBB184-C780-42C6-BEC2-AE04E0E5FAEB.png
    12CBB184-C780-42C6-BEC2-AE04E0E5FAEB.png
    884.5 KB · Views: 582

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom