All things Universal Studios Hollywood

ThemeParkTraveller

There’s a sort of “B Mode” shortcut that takes the trucks directly from the load area to the first indoor scene without ever going outdoors. I would love to know what the heck is the deal there, and what the long-term plans for that ride’s space are.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kong was replaced with another Jurassic attraction in the future. Its placement always felt odd, being a single ride sandwiched between two unrelated lands.

Phroobar

godzilla-zipline_toho-co-770x514.png

Zip lining into Godzilla's mouth.

That is actually a real theme park in Japan.

Last edited:

AlexMBush

In a small but interesting thing; seems USH is using SS12 for HHN this year (outline for a house has been spotted, as has a facade). Perhaps with the production issues going on in LA, maybe USH is trying to take an opportunity that they can get right now to use the lot for the parks benefit?

eddie104

In a small but interesting thing; seems USH is using SS12 for HHN this year (outline for a house has been spotted, as has a facade). Perhaps with the production issues going on in LA, maybe USH is trying to take an opportunity that they can get right now to use the lot for the parks benefit?
I was worried for a second because I had forget this was a USH thread. 😂

Also the terms half day and full day are so overused and have no value anymore.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I wouldn't be surprised if Kong was replaced with another Jurassic attraction in the future. Its placement always felt odd, being a single ride sandwiched between two unrelated lands.
The IOA Kong ride was suppose to be Jurassic Park jeep ride. It would include a encounter with a T-Rex that would spin the jeep around and then chase it. The jeep would go over rope bridges like Indiana Jones and fall down a tree. Velociraptors were suppose to jump on the jeep. They thought it was too expensive and too similar to the River Adventure ride.

denyuntilcaught

The IOA Kong ride was suppose to be Jurassic Park jeep ride. It would include a encounter with a T-Rex that would spin the jeep around and then chase it. The jeep would go over rope bridges like Indiana Jones and fall down a tree. Velociraptors were suppose to jump on the jeep. They thought it was too expensive and too similar to the River Adventure ride.
It's always the velociraptors.

Stripes

Premium Member
I remember talks about Rise potentially having blasters shoot beams through the air. That didn’t fully happen, but to say magic will be used on physical sets in MoM is an understatement.
I believe you are referring to this patent?

The quality that impresses me the most with Rise of the Resistance is that the theming is 360 degrees. No matter where you look, there’s theming. And the scenes are all well lit. You can see everything around you in every scene. There‘s no black spots.

I think part of the reason WDI didn’t do what Universal is doing here is because they wanted a 100% immersive experience. And I applaud that decision. It was super innovative. And I think it was the first time I’ve ever heard people get off a ride and exclaim that it was an incredible “experience“ as opposed to an incredible ride.

Nonetheless, I think that if it works, this effect will be pretty cool. The technology is essentially dynamic projection mapping similar to what’s been done on the Tokyo Frozen attraction (Anna unfreezing, staircase being built using Elsa’s powers).

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

The quality that impresses me the most with Rise of the Resistance is that the theming is 360 degrees. No matter where you look, there’s theming. And the scenes are all well lit. You can see everything around you in every scene. There‘s no black spots.

I think part of the reason WDI didn’t do what Universal is doing here is because they wanted a 100% immersive experience. And I applaud that decision. It was super innovative. And I think it was the first time I’ve ever heard people get off a ride and exclaim that it was an incredible “experience“ as opposed to an incredible ride.

Nonetheless, I think that if it works, this effect will be pretty cool. The technology is essentially dynamic projection mapping similar to what’s been done on the Tokyo Frozen attraction (Anna unfreezing, staircase being built using Elsa’s powers).

Rise is the only attraction ever to make me cry when I got off last week, and it took me time to console myself, haha.

And on one ride the group behind us exclaimed “that was the best ride I have ever been on!”

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"

Yes! That’s the one!

To me, Journey to the Center of the Earth was the first ride that legitimately felt like you were doing what you were doing, until Rise.

With Ministry, I really don’t think people understand how unfathomable it will be. There is just is no present comparison. It’s going to completely blow Rise out of the water with its scale and the level of immersion. It really does feel like a successor to Rise, it is very similar.

It’s far more than just projection mapping on objects/animatronics.

Stripes

Premium Member
Yes! That’s the one!

To me, Journey to the Center of the Earth was the first ride that legitimately felt like you were doing what you were doing, until Rise.

With Ministry, I really don’t think people understand how unfathomable it will be. There is just is no present comparison. It’s going to completely blow Rise out of the water with its scale and the level of immersion. It really does feel like a successor to Rise, it is very similar.

It’s far more than just projection mapping on objects/animatronics.
I do not know how they will pull off those effects without a dark environment to hide the mechanics.

The patent is a system to projection map onto moving objects. One would be a fool to think this isn’t for projection mapping spells onto moving objects held up on sticks attached to a moving conveyor so it looks like they’re flying through the air. In order to hide the mechanics the show scene needs to be quite dark.

Disney couldn’t have used this method on Rise because there’s no dark show scenes on Rise. That was the creative intent.

As for the scale, it’s a huge show building. I’m not sure it’ll blow Rise away though considering the Rise show building is 165,000 sq ft and MoM is 140,000 sq ft. Both are quite tall but Rise is a two-story show building which makes most of the scenes feel more intimate than if they were all like the AT-AT scene.

Pretty sure Pirates Shanghai has them both beat by quite a margin with its monstrous 200,000 sq ft show building.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I do not know how they will pull off those effects without a dark environment to hide the mechanics.

The patent is a system to projection map onto moving objects. One would be a fool to think this isn’t for projection mapping spells onto moving objects held up on sticks attached to a moving conveyor so it looks like they’re flying through the air. In order to hide the mechanics the show scene needs to be quite dark.

Disney couldn’t have used this method on Rise because there’s no dark show scenes on Rise. That was the creative intent.

As for the scale, it’s a huge show building. I’m not sure it’ll blow Rise away though considering the Rise show building is 165,000 sq ft and MoM is 140,000 sq ft. Both are quite tall but Rise is a two-story show building which makes most of the scenes feel more intimate than if they were all like the AT-AT scene.

Pretty sure Pirates Shanghai has them both beat by quite a margin with its monstrous 200,000 sq ft show building.
I promise you, it will top both of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom