All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I doubt the Battlestar Galactica thing lasted past the first half of the Reagan administration. It was turned into the current Earthquake scene at some point.

I remember an earlier version of the Lucy tribute thing. It was just Miss Ball's dressing room, including a peek into the bathroom and her rose pink toilet.

Seriously, how does Universal Studios do that to our memories??? Disneyland seems mostly hazy and vague circa 1975-1982 by comparison.

I remember longing to be picked out of the audience to participate at the Airport '77 show.
USH_Airport77_1.jpg

I wanted to be pushed out of the plane and into the water tank by that stewardess so badly! It just looked like so much fun!
USH_Airport77_2.jpg

I got picked a couple of times. You headed backstage to change clothes. Go into the tank, and then had a chance to dry off and get back into your own clothing. They had a set of washer/dryers to take care of the wet clothes.

I also have lots of Universal Memories. One of the first was the Paraffin wax machines. You placed your money in the machine, and the empty mold would close, the wax injected into it, and then it came out of the mold into the exit drawer. Your souvenir was still warm to hot. One was of Kong. Wish I still had it. Late 60's probably.

Need sleep, have a good one.

Phroobar

This is the souvenir tape from 1984. It includes segments from entire Tram tour and all the shows. This was pretty much everything available in 1984. It includes the Screen Test Comedy show, Animal Actors and Conan shows.

Phroobar

Funny how in 1984 Universal had a twenty foot tall dragon that shot fire and lasers that looked like this:
0a36a8f8010cff0d8869b4d95bdc1e87--universal-studios-conan.jpg

While ten years later Disneyland gets a dragon for Fantasmic that looks like a head on a stick:
DDZnsTNXgAAQojp.jpg

Much later Disneyland gets a real looking dragon:
maxresdefault.jpg

While Disney World still has a head on a stick.

1WDWDragon.jpg

So much for Disney quality and being a market leader.

Rich T

Funny how in 1984 Universal had a twenty foot tall dragon that shot fire and lasers that looked like this:
0a36a8f8010cff0d8869b4d95bdc1e87--universal-studios-conan.jpg

While ten years later Disneyland gets a dragon for Fantasmic that looks like a head on a stick....
To be fair, I was working at Universal when the Conan show opened, and that dragon (which was really just an impressive snake head and neck that rose out of a hole in the floor) broke down a lot. I saw the show about a dozen times that summer, and every time the finale arrived, I'd cross my fingers ("Please work. Please work.") During one show, it just rose enough to show its nostrils over the lip of the hole. When all went right, though, it was one of the most enjoyable theme park shows I've ever seen.

Phroobar

To be fair, I was working at Universal when the Conan show opened, and that dragon (which was really just an impressive snake head and neck that rose out of a hole in the floor) broke down a lot. I saw the show about a dozen times that summer, and every time the finale arrived, I'd cross my fingers ("Please work. Please work.") During one show, it just rose enough to show its nostrils over the lip of the hole. When all went right, though, it was one of the most enjoyable theme park shows I've ever seen.
True. Sophisticated AAs have reliability problems. So did Murphy the current Fantasmic dragon for the first few years. If the Conan show lasted another ten years the dragon would have worked better.

Phroobar

I wonder if Universal is having buyers remorse for building a Secret Life of Pets ride. The sequel is way under-performing, only making 50% of what the original did for opening weekend. Hopefully the ride stands on its own.
They could always turn it into the Mario/Yoshi ride planned for USO. It's suppose to be the same ride mechanism.

TP2000

I got picked a couple of times. You headed backstage to change clothes. Go into the tank, and then had a chance to dry off and get back into your own clothing. They had a set of washer/dryers to take care of the wet clothes.

I also have lots of Universal Memories. One of the first was the Paraffin wax machines. You placed your money in the machine, and the empty mold would close, the wax injected into it, and then it came out of the mold into the exit drawer. Your souvenir was still warm to hot. One was of Kong. Wish I still had it. Late 60's probably.

Need sleep, have a good one.

That's fabulous! How did you get so lucky? I would be there on the end of the row of aluminum bleachers, sitting up straight and smiling a big cheesy smile, thinking they would pick me. Pick me! Nope. Denied. :mad:

If you got picked they would give you a Super8 film of your performance. God bless whomever this is who put their old Super8 film from October, 1977 on YouTube. Ladies and gentlemen, the Airport '77 Screen Test Theater in all its glory!

And yes, if they still did this today I could totally be that guy in the plaid Sansabelt trousers, red Disco sport coat and blue leisure shirt.

Animaniac93-98

If anyone is interested in the history of USH or USO, I recommend the book "Universal vs. Disney" by Sam Gennawey, published under the same "Unofficial Guide to..." series as WDW, DLR, Vegas etc.

The title is misleading. The substance of the book is all about the history of Universal as a tourist attraction, including what did not get built and why. Great read.

planodisney

I’ve been wondering the same thing about this new Pers ride.
They HAVE to be regretting that decision.
I thought it was a horrible decision even before Pets 2 flopped.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I’ve been wondering the same thing about this new Pers ride.
They HAVE to be regretting that decision.
I thought it was a horrible decision even before Pets 2 flopped.

Look at Water World...

USH has already played to an International audience, so looks at something marketable, even if you don't fully understand the language. (Aka Visuals). Secret Life of Pets fits that mold.

Heck, look at Battlestar Galletica, the show never got good ratings when first aired, similar to Star Trek. But it was popular as part of the Tram Tour.

SuddenStorm

Saw Fantasmic! In Disneyland for the first time last year and the dragon was broken. Just stood there behind a water screen showing a CGI version of the figure. Very underwhelming.

That's the least of your problems... it's too bad you weren't able to see the show between '92 and '15. Probably the most 'perfect' show Disney's ever created- and still the standard of comparison for every show Disney's made since.

wityblack

That's the least of your problems... it's too bad you weren't able to see the show between '92 and '15. Probably the most 'perfect' show Disney's ever created- and still the standard of comparison for every show Disney's made since.
They really screwed up with that Pirates scene, and having Finding Nemo among the Disney animations feels out of place, but I do think the magic carpet was a great addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom