All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Rich T

I wouldn't wait for anything in Florida for ten hours. That means either the thing is totally broken or every single person in Islands of Adventure is in line for that one ride.
I think every Universal, theme park, coaster and potter fan on the East Coast all showed up today; the line hit 10 hours within 20 minutes of park opening. :D
(EDIT)
And all for a ride that uses real thrills, AA's and sets in place of screens! Who'da thought? :D

Phroobar

I think every Universal, theme park, coaster and potter fan on the East Coast all showed up today; the line hit 10 hours within 20 minutes of park opening. :D
(EDIT)
And all for a ride that uses real thrills, AA's and sets in place of screens! Who'da thought? :D
How do you get ten hours worth of people into a park within twenty minutes? Where the Potterheads camping out in the parking lot? Maybe they should have used a reservation system?

Rich T

How do you get ten hours worth of people into a park within twenty minutes? Where the Potterheads camping out in the parking lot? Maybe they should have used a reservation system?
Apparently the fans started showing up long before dawn... And Universal says a virtual queue goes into effect Friday.
tweetrehagrid.jpg

Rich T

Aside from the great layout, use of AA's and fantastic details, a couple more things I love about this:
- The humor. Hagrid's on-board comments--and his best-intentioned screw-ups--give the ride a Mr. Toad zaniness. It's perfectly in-character and makes sense of all the ride's different elements. Perfect.
- I never thought I'd think "audience vocal participation" on a coaster is something I'd like, but it's used brilliantly here. I can't imagine *not* screaming out the requested line at the ride's climax. :D

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
This is a fantasic ride. It totally brings Expedition Everest down a few pegs. I like the cycle coaster and the track changes. Tron might be faster but this one has actual sets and AAs. Great job Universal! Now lets tear down Water World at USH for this.
I wish it would happen. But it would have to be totally indoors, due to the active filming on the Back lot.

mickEblu

Ok just watched the video (couldn’t resist) and WOW. Universal is out Disneying Disney at the moment. I was prepared to say about 2/3 the way through the video that the show scenes were “just ok” but the last show scene takes the attraction over the top. I absolutely love the outdoor sections with all the trees.

Sigh- makes me think what they could have done with an Ewok coaster. Well I hope you all enjoy Star Tours .5 instead.

Last edited:

Rich T

Why does this ride have me more excited than ROTR?
Me too. I think because
1) It seems near perfect. Universal just hit a grand slam home run.
2) It's the kind of ride we've been waiting for Disney to build for ages.
3) Emphasis on well-themed thrills with just enough story to give it life and character.
4) It's upbeat, funny and non-violent.
5) 100% "Good stuff" from start to finish. No filler.
6) The coaster layout is so good, and the landscaping so nice, that you don't even have to like the franchise to enjoy the ride.
7) It's a "generous" ride. It didn't have to be that long, but they put in the extra effort. I'm certain that if Disney had done this, they would have cut corners and made it half the length. I'm not even a big Universal fan, but this could end up being my favorite theme park ride *ever*.

mickEblu

Me too. I think because
1) It seems near perfect. Universal just hit a grand slam home run.
2) It's the kind of ride we've been waiting for Disney to build for ages.
3) Emphasis on well-themed thrills with just enough story to give it life and character.
4) It's upbeat, funny and non-violent.
5) 100% "Good stuff" from start to finish. No filler.
6) The coaster layout is so good, and the landscaping so nice, that you don't even have to like the franchise to enjoy the ride.
7) It's a "generous" ride. It didn't have to be that long, but they put in the extra effort. I'm certain that if Disney had done this, they would have cut corners and made it half the length. I'm not even a big Universal fan, but this could end up being my favorite theme park ride *ever*.

To think what they could have done with the Ewok coaster 😞

RescueTheDay

Am I the only one unimpressed with this coaster? Maybe unimpressed isn’t the right word, but looking at all this praise has me shocked. I’ll give them credit for the length and outdoor theming. Animatronics though? Unimpressive, along with the actual show scenes. I’m just glad that didn’t focus on screens. Hopefully it’s a different vibe when you’re on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom