All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Rich T

One more thing, and it's just one detail but really important: The motorcycle sound effects combined with the many launch accelerations add an extra layer of craziness and excitement to the whole thing. It's like what Disney was trying for with Rocket Rods, but carried out soooooooooooooooooo much better! :D

George Lucas on a Bench

Am I the only one unimpressed with this coaster? Maybe unimpressed isn’t the right word, but looking at all this praise has me shocked. I’ll give them credit for the length and outdoor theming. Animatronics though? Unimpressive, along with the actual show scenes. I’m just glad that didn’t focus on screens. Hopefully it’s a different vibe when you’re on it.

I would imagine riding a roller coaster in real life is a lot more fun than watching a videotape of it.

Rich T

Am I the only one unimpressed with this coaster? Maybe unimpressed isn’t the right word, but looking at all this praise has me shocked. I’ll give them credit for the length and outdoor theming. Animatronics though? Unimpressive, along with the actual show scenes. I’m just glad that didn’t focus on screens. Hopefully it’s a different vibe when you’re on it.
It depends on what you're looking for, but for me (who no longer enjoys extreme g-forces on coasters), the thrill level here is just right. I think the animatronics are fine (and amazing for a roller coaster). Not AAA, but they get the job done--like the animals on Big Thunder. Actually, I think the sound on this ride really is the magic ingredient. It brings everything to life.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Compare it to Goofy's Magical Airplane Adventure at DCA which is just a bunch of steel beams and some billboards, and Goofy doesn't even make an appearance. Even in the Incredicoaster where characters do appear they're just static dolls on poles awkwardly slapped next to an unrelated rollercoaster ride.

The Hagrid ride is cool. It's a lengthy zippy ride that even goes backwards and has scenery and robots. It still feels like you're in that environment despite the industrial roller coaster elements.

Rich T

Compare it to Goofy's Magical Airplane Adventure at DCA which is just a bunch of steel beams and some billboards, and Goofy doesn't even make an appearance. Even in the Incredicoaster where characters do appear they're just static figures on poles awkwardly placed next to an unrelated rollercoaster ride.

The Hagrid ride is cool. It's a lengthy zippy ride that even goes backwards and has scenery and robots. It still feels like you're in that environment despite the industrial roller coaster elements.
Also, it does a vertical freefall drop in the dark during that last indoor scene.

Rich T

The part where the animal farts on the guests is really up there in top 10 theme park attraction moments, just behind Mr. Lincoln’s speech and above Pirates of the Caribbean’s original auction scene.
LOL. If I could make ONE change to the ride... Yes, I'd have picked another "magical creature." :D

Stevek

It's really well done and I think I'd much prefer to ride this over the Falcon ride...partially because I get motion/screen sickness but also because it just looks more enjoyable. Great themeing, like the dark ride/coaster elements as well. Very immersive like Big Thunder, Matterhorn or Everest...I would argue that Thunder is a bit better themed overall given that the tracks (runaway train) play into the story while the tracks on Hagrid are a bit more intrusive? But, it still looks like a fantastic ride.

BasiltheBatLord

Hagrid looks tight although I feel like it could've used one more show scene at the end. TBH I feel like Universal isn't getting enough credit for their output recently, they've been making pretty solid attractions throughout basically the whole past decade (not to say everything was on the mark, but still).

Phroobar

So far we've seen Knott's Calico River Rapids, and Universal's Hagrids coaster and soon Jurassic World. All of these have me more excited than Galaxy's Edge. Magic Mountain has their drag racing coaster coming soon too. Lots of fun stuff! Hagrid's coaster makes Expedition Everest look pathetic with it's disco Yeti.

Professortango1

Hagrid looks tight although I feel like it could've used one more show scene at the end. TBH I feel like Universal isn't getting enough credit for their output recently, they've been making pretty solid attractions throughout basically the whole past decade (not to say everything was on the mark, but still).

Well, Kong and Fast and the Furious both were pretty big duds. Jimmy Fallon wasn't anything people were really excited for either. Hopefully Universal learned that the physical attractions seem to be much better received than screen based attractions.

Snow Queen

Well, Kong and Fast and the Furious both were pretty big duds. Jimmy Fallon wasn't anything people were really excited for either. Hopefully Universal learned that the physical attractions seem to be much better received than screen based attractions.
Oh god, Jimmy Fallon. I don't love every decision Disney has made, but I feel like I'd have to go back a while to find one I dislike as much as that ride.

Professortango1

Kong is not a dud!

The ride is pretty bad. Impressive looking facade and ride vehicles to give way to your tram vehicle parked between two screens. Followed by a very anticlimatic encounter with AA Kong. Universal should know that simply creating a ride based on a Tram Stop is problematic, especially when you don't really bring anything else to the experience. At least Kongfrontation was something new to the Kong Tram Stop. But Kong and F&F are not so well received because they don't feel like full experiences.

Professortango1

This website is the only place I've seen harsh criticism of Kong.

The ride was better than I thought it would have been based on reviews I read here prior to my first experience with it.

I've seen plenty of lackluster responses to Kong. I know when we were out there last, we rode it and were really let down considering how great the queue and facade are. Most people I heard around us thought it was okay at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom