All things Knotts Berry Farm

Rich T

12571460425_662392714a_b.jpg
12571868274_12cd98d7b7_b.jpg
I rode WSR right after it opened and loved it; with all the show doors, fog effects and simulated fireworks, it felt like an outdoor dark ride. Went back a couple of years later and... man, those effects and props fell by the wayside quickly. The barebones version of the ride was still fun, but was only half the experience it started out as.

cmwade77

For the Knotts fans here, are you guys coaster enthusiasts? I only enjoy the log ride, mine train, rapids, and indian cabin. For me I can't justify wanting repeat visits.

A lot of the coasters were too rough on me including the just refurbished ghost rider.

Furthermore the park was suuuper dirty when I went, (much worse than SFMM).

I want to be a Knotts fan but cant personally find the appeal. I do miss the Dinosaur ride a lot.
No, I am a fan of the entertainment, that alone is worth repeat visits and the park is a lot cleaner than it used to be.

I am excited for Knott's Berry Tales though.

Phroobar

Original Poster
For the Knotts fans here, are you guys coaster enthusiasts? I only enjoy the log ride, mine train, rapids, and indian cabin. For me I can't justify wanting repeat visits.

A lot of the coasters were too rough on me including the just refurbished ghost rider.

I want to be a Knotts fan but cant personally find the appeal. I do miss the Dinosaur ride a lot.
I've been known to go for just the food and entertainment by myself. I'll see every live show that night. I always do the mine train and wonder around ghost town. I'll do the log ride if there isn't a line. I'll do Ghostrider and Silver Bullet if the line is short. I'll do a lot of the flat rides too if the kids make me. I can't wait for Berry Tales to open. I wish the Mystery Lodge would reopen. It's been almost a year now.

PiratesMansion

I am a coaster enthusiast; however, I can't say I'm wild about most of Knott's coaster collection; not because they're too rough (I wouldn't call a single Knott's coaster rough right now, including Ghostrider), but just because I don't think a lot of them are that great. I do love Ghostrider, Montezooma, and Hangtime though!

I've never had an issue with cleanliness.

I do go mostly for the Mine Ride, Log Ride, and Ghostrider, but I do really enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment too. And while there are a number of rides I don't get on much or haven't been on, period, I always forget how many rides they actually have. They really are like Disneyland in that they have a lot of rides and other worthwhile things packed together in a small space.

It did take me multiple visits to warm up to the park, and as much as I love it, I'd still be hard-pressed to say if it's truly better than, say, Silver Dollar City or Dollywood. But it's a park I very much enjoy visiting, and I can't picture visiting Disneyland at this point without stopping by. In fact, I've been to Knott's more recently than I have DL (for Scary Farm), and I live in IL!

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

I am a coaster enthusiast; however, I can't say I'm wild about most of Knott's coaster collection; not because they're too rough (I wouldn't call a single Knott's coaster rough right now, including Ghostrider), but just because I don't think a lot of them are that great. I do love Ghostrider, Montezooma, and Hangtime though!

I've never had an issue with cleanliness.

I do go mostly for the Mine Ride, Log Ride, and Ghostrider, but I do really enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment too. And while there are a number of rides I don't get on much or haven't been on, period, I always forget how many rides they actually have. They really are like Disneyland in that they have a lot of rides and other worthwhile things packed together in a small space.

It did take me multiple visits to warm up to the park, and as much as I love it, I'd still be hard-pressed to say if it's truly better than, say, Silver Dollar City or Dollywood. But it's a park I very much enjoy visiting, and I can't picture visiting Disneyland at this point without stopping by. In fact, I've been to Knott's more recently than I have DL (for Scary Farm), and I live in IL!
Dollywood is a far superior park and I grew up loving Knott's. Honestly, Knott's is becoming a little like Epcot - do I really enjoy it in its current state or am I just reliving my nostalgia for when it was great?

In the 70's, the entire northern section of the park, the Roaring 20's, was fantastic - now I just walk through the concrete wasteland once a trip without even stopping.

Ghost Town, Boysenberry Festival, the crafts/decor at Christmas, mine train, and log ride are all great, but the rest of the park isn't it what it used to be. Ghost Rider was a fantastic, themed addition but Silver Bullet, Xcelerator, underwater shooter thingy, closing Mystery Lodge, etc. were all a very bad direction for the park.

Last edited:

Rich T

...were all a very bad direction for the park.
Except... It’s one of Cedar Fair’s most-attended and most profitable parks (greatly helped by a 365 schedule), so they’re doing something right. I’m an old guy who grew up with Knott’s always being part of my family’s DL trips. I will always miss how incredibly, uniquely magical, historical, charming and quirky Knott’s was in its genuine good old days, but CF has kept it the 2nd Best park in So. Cal., which is far better than the park closing forever. I don’t like a lot of what CF’s done... But then look at the money they poured into Timber Mtn., Calico Mine and the Rapids to make them better than ever. Ghost Town is full of character actors. There’s still much to love, and most of the problems are fixable. I’m hopeful.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Except... It’s Cedar Fair’s most-attended and most profitable park (greatly helped by a 365 schedule), so they’re doing something right. I’m an old guy who grew up with Knott’s always being part of my family’s DL trips. I will always miss how incredibly, uniquely magical, historical, charming and quirky Knott’s was in its genuine good old days, but CF has kept it the 2nd Best park in So. Cal., which is far better than the park closing forever. I don’t like a lot of what CF’s done... But then look at the money they poured into Timber Mtn., Calico Mine and the Rapids to make them better than ever. Ghost Town is full of character actors. There’s still much to love, and most of the problems are fixable. I’m hopeful.

Most profitable, probably Cedar Point.

PiratesMansion

Knott's honors its history and it's hard to be cynical about the management who really does pour back into the product. I respect Knott's even if it's not as high of quality as Disney. It has heart, and that's what counts.

For me, it's not that current management doesn't respect the product. That's not the issue.

The challenge will be to overcome the bad decisions made earlier in Cedar Fair's management, ones that will be difficult to overcome.

How do you undo the effects of something like Pony Express or Silver Bullet? How do you go back from that? The same sorts of things Disney will also have to contend with as they get more arrogant about doing whatever they feel like to the parks with no thought or care to the overall product or its cohesiveness, its legacy.

Also, was there ever any confirmation that Mystery Lodge is in fact closed forever? To me, closing a unique and distinctive attraction is NOT a way to honor a park anniversary.

Darkbeer1

If you look at Average Daily Attendance (based on operating days), Canada's Wonderland is the clear winner. They have the least amount of operating days....

Knott's is clearly one of the top parks. But it has the highest operating costs. Days open, more expensive labor, the average SP holder visits more per year, if on the meal plan, eats more meals, etc.

choco choco

Mystery Lodge should be downsized and converted into a simple walk-through attraction. There's no need for its large queue and preshow area (and I like the preshow, with its moody ominous rainstorm) and the auditorium is likely three sizes too big. Just continually run the show on a loop and let people freely walk in an out at will.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Mystery Lodge should be downsized and converted into a simple walk-through attraction. There's no need for its large queue and preshow area (and I like the preshow, with its moody ominous rainstorm) and the auditorium is likely three sizes too big. Just continually run the show on a loop and let people freely walk in an out at will.
Except you have a live actor so it is impossible to run it in a loop. That queue is used for a Haunt maze.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Gonna have to engineer out the live actor, unfortunately.

No one's keeping the queue simply for Haunt.
So Knotts should replace live actors with free roaming audio animatronics? That worked really well for Delos corp.
What's next, live dinosaurs in a theme park?

Phroobar

Original Poster
Knotts did a complete turn around after Matt Ouimet left as president of the Disneyland Resort after the 50th anniversary and took over Cedar Fair.

Under Ouimet's leadership, Cedar Fair invested in improvements to classic dark rides at Knott's Berry Farm, repositioning the California park as a competitor for Disneyland's family crowd rather than aiming primarily at Six Flags' thrill-seeking audience, as it had begun to do in the recent past. At Disney, Ouimet is widely credited for reviving Disneyland Park after years of neglect in maintenance and show quality under previous administrations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom