All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figment632

Well, it was the theme of the Millennium Celebration...are we thinking of the same thing? It's on one of the WDW Park soundtracks I have from the "Hand In Hand" celebration.

...Unless there's another "Celebrate the Future" I'm not aware of.

I think so I downloaded it off of mouse bits and its chorus is "celebrate the future hand in hand"

fyn

After a 6 month hiatus from the boards, I return, and spent the last week reading this thread all the way from page 1.

What'd I win? :D

Edit: Looking at my post history - It was 3 days over a *year*. eek.

jt04

After a 6 month hiatus from the boards, I return, and spent the last week reading this thread all the way from page 1.

What'd I win? :D

Edit: Looking at my post history - It was 3 days over a *year*. eek.

I don't know what you won but you at least deserve a new car.

fyn

I do have to say that this thread is heartening. I used to say the same things that most Epcot geeks are saying in this thread, but everyone would mischaracterize my criticisms as me wanting the park to be a museum.

EPCOT Explorer

I do have to say that this thread is heartening. I used to say the same things that most Epcot geeks are saying in this thread, but everyone would mischaracterize my criticisms as me wanting the park to be a museum.

Indeed!:D

Hope TDO has the same ideas...

hpyhnt 1000

Epcot Update: May 23rd

Just thought I'd share a few observations from the park as of Saturday, May 23rd:

Spaceship Earth:
Nothing new to report with the descent. However, outside BGM was perhaps a bit louder. It you're standing in line on either side of the entrance, you can very faintly make out the music. Its still not loud enough, because if you're walking past, you can't hear it, but at least now from the line it can be heard playing very softly.

General Epcot:
-Fountain of Nations is better after the refurb, but still needs quite a bit of work. Some sprayers and nozzles are still crooked, and in the shows I watched, the front three fans didn't go off like they're supposed to.

- The Coke bottle recycling bins have completely vanished from Future World (I guess those were a failure). In their place are a lot more of the standard recycling bins with the circular openings. Even World Showcase has a lot more of them, complete with the very attractive WS Plaque. Good to see, IMHO.

- Kim Possible seems to be a hit. All over WS I saw kids and families running around with the cell phones in their hands.

- The speakers around WS have received new banners. They look like the other ones, only the blue is more vivid bacause they aren't faded.

IllumiNations:
I'll post here what I posted in another thread. Overall, thats all for now. Even with the heavy rain in the evening, it was a great day. :)

- Some torches didn't light before, during, and after the show, notably the ones by France and Italy. However, it looked like the other 17 lit fine.

- The Earth Globe had MAJOR tech issues on the 23rd. The show itself was delayed about 20 minutes because of the weather (it was POURING from around 7:15 to 8:45), and just before the show, we were over by the dock by the AA and we could see them preping the globe for the show. The LED screens were shortening out (probably because of the rain) and even before the show began, some of the LEDs were flickering randomly. Then, once the show started, Europe, most of Africa, and most of North and South America did not light up. Asia and Australia looked nice, but everything else was off or was a frozen image. They gave up on the screens halfway into the show and had turned them off by the beginning of Adventure. On a plus note, the globe did open and the torch lit right on cue, so at least that went to plan. It was just the LEDs that were the problem.

- One final thing, there was one also another freak thing that happend right at the beginnng with the globe. Just as the ALF exploded, a burst of pyro shot out from the torch inside the globe while it was closed (You know the kind that shoots from the globe at the end of the show? It was that kind of pyro). That was a bit of a shock to say the least! I'm not sure if that may have contributed to the screen problems seen later, but it definitely was unexpected and should NOT have happend. The internal lights on the pedals looked like they were undamaged, as they all were working when the globe opened, so I think the damage was minimal at most.

- In the midst of all this drama, I will say the the pyro was back to full strength! From the scattering bees in Chaos to the whistles in Celebration to the white waterfalls in Home, all pyro was back to pre-shortage quality (though the waterfall timings in Home need a bit of tweaking again because of the product change). Good to see! :)

EDIT:
- Crowds were about moderate to heavy I guess. Soarin' only had a 55 minute wait at high noon, and even Test Track was only around 40-60 mins from what I could tell. Mission: SPACE was busy, with both green and orange having waits of at least 20 mins. So, busy, but certainly not unbearable.

- Grounds still look great since it is the F&G Festival, even if they were a bit water logged from the rain. :lol:

- Water levels in and around Epcot (and probably around the resort) are HIGH after this past week. The downpour we sat through in the evening certainly will add to them. I've never seen WS so high; its covering the bottom of the wall launches for IllumiNations and at all the Friendship landings, the floating docks now make it necessary to walk UP the ramp to get to the boat instead of down.

EPCOT Explorer

Just thought I'd share a few observations from the park as of Saturday, May 23rd:

Spaceship Earth:
Nothing new to report with the descent. However, outside BGM was perhaps a bit louder. It you're standing in line on either side of the entrance, you can very faintly make out the music. Its still not loud enough, because if you're walking past, you can't hear it, but at least now from the line it can be heard playing very softly.

General Epcot:
-Fountain of Nations is better after the refurb, but still needs quite a bit of work. Some sprayers and nozzles are still crooked, and in the shows I watched, the front three fans didn't go off like they're supposed to.

- The Coke bottle recycling bins have completely vanished from Future World (I guess those were a failure). In their place are a lot more of the standard recycling bins with the circular openings. Even World Showcase has a lot more of them, complete with the very attractive WS Plaque. Good to see, IMHO.

- Kim Possible seems to be a hit. All over WS I saw kids and families running around with the cell phones in their hands.

- The speakers around WS have received new banners. They look like the other ones, only the blue is more vivid bacause they aren't faded.
Good news! I'm glad the banners are better and the bottles gone. They clashed horribly.

Thrill Seeker

I just got back from Epcot and the decent was a ton different from when I last went back in 08. The triangle things were all the way down and where the little globe use to be was now all lights. It seemed like the only part that wasn't done was the part where your vehicle isn't inclined backwards. At least that's my observation...

EPCOT Explorer

I just got back from Epcot and the decent was a ton different from when I last went back in 08. The triangle things were all the way down and where the little globe use to be was now all lights. It seemed like the only part that wasn't done was the part where your vehicle isn't inclined backwards. At least that's my observation...

So more random lights pointing at a curtain? Lovely.:D

And you mean the 180 Top? I think that's done.:lookaroun

mcjaco

Glad to hear the bottles are gone. I'm thinking those were temporary fill ins to see if the program worked. Coke is sending those bottles to parks all over. Six Flags Great America is using them this season.

Kim Possible is awesome. I was wary when I heard about it, but it's fantastically done, unobtrusive to the pavilions, and a lot of creativity went it to it. Seriously, you have to try it out when you go!

Best missions, China, Germany and England.

EPCOT Explorer

Glad to hear the bottles are gone. I'm thinking those were temporary fill ins to see if the program worked. Coke is sending those bottles to parks all over. Six Flags Great America is using them this season.

Kim Possible is awesome. I was wary when I heard about it, but it's fantastically done, unobtrusive to the pavilions, and a lot of creativity went it to it. Seriously, you have to try it out when you go!

Best missions, China, Germany and England.

You've been back?:D:wave:

kcnole

According to Lee the decent has been abandoned for the time being. TDO has decided that their time and money is better spent on some other big things which will be coming to FutureWorld soon. So unless Siemen's decides to cough up the money to finish the decent, its not going to be done for a while. He claims it will eventually be finished, but no time soon unless Siemen's decides to fix it.

SirNim

According to Lee the decent has been abandoned for the time being. TDO has decided that their time and money is better spent on some other big things which will be coming to FutureWorld soon. So unless Siemen's decides to cough up the money to finish the decent, its not going to be done for a while. He claims it will eventually be finished, but no time soon unless Siemen's decides to fix it.
I can hardly think of bigger things in Future World than finishing an unfinished flagship attraction finale.

I mean, even a revitalized WOL pavilion (retaining its original theme or not), a new global "Soarin" film, the return of Dreamfinder, or some mindblowing Innoventions exhibit---these all seem to pale in comparison to providing a respectable finale to the flagship attraction...

It all seems like a really bad Twilight Zone episode:

Submitted for your approval, a theme park predicated on the hope of the future. But amidst the glitter of its shiny silver geosphere, a hollow shell awaits passengers aboard Future World's time machine. Its triangles conjure visions of a completed descent, but they do nothing whatsoever. In a company once known for maintaining the highest standards, this attraction stands as a beacon of tightened budgets, cost overruns, and good ideas left unfinished, a harbinger of the future of the Disney Company, to be found only in... the Twilight Zone.

Thrill Seeker

Submitted for your approval, a theme park predicated on the hope of the future. But amidst the glitter of its shiny silver geosphere, a hollow shell awaits passengers aboard Future World's time machine. Its triangles conjure visions of a completed descent, but they do nothing whatsoever. In a company once known for maintaining the highest standards, this attraction stands as a beacon of tightened budgets, cost overruns, and good ideas left unfinished, a harbinger of the future of the Disney Company, to be found only in... the Twilight Zone.

LOL! Win!:king:

EPCOT Explorer

Disney gave up on SSE...:cry:

Well, for now at least.:eek: At leas the thoughts, plans, and half of the decsent is sitting behind the #$&(#$*&-ing curtains.:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:
I can hardly think of bigger things in Future World than finishing an unfinished flagship attraction finale.

I mean, even a revitalized WOL pavilion (retaining its original theme or not), a new global "Soarin" film, the return of Dreamfinder, or some mindblowing Innoventions exhibit---these all seem to pale in comparison to providing a respectable finale to the flagship attraction...

:brick::ROFLOL:

Win.

kcnole

While its annoying to me that they're putting off finishing this descent, if the trade off is that we get a quality imagination back then I'm willing to make that knowing that hopefully we'll see that descent finished before too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom