All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjaco

No, Epcot's attendance didn't drop until it got stale in the early 90s. Contrary to the urban myth that EPCOT Center was initially a failure, it was extremely popular.

I think people believe it was because there were so many months where it was a slow attendance time. They opened in October, which was notoriously slow. This picture was taken in November of 1982, and this was typical crowds for that time.

scannedimage-40_170.jpg

I think most of the "EPCOT Center was a failure" myth comes from how Guests asked where the Disney characters were. People didn't leave because of that; they just wanted to know. Disney added them, and EPCOT did just fine. Some vocal critics also complained the EPCOT was too commercial, but they completely missed the point—it WAS a permanent World's Fair.

And EPCOT had characters. They were just creepy.

scannedimage-17__small__138.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

I think people believe it was because there were so many months where it was a slow attendance time. They opened in October, which was notoriously slow. This picture was taken in November of 1982, and this was typical crowds for that time.

scannedimage-40_170.jpg

Awww...Baby EPCOT Center. No trees.:eek::lol:

Loving the kid holding a wheel map, BTW :sohappy:

mcjaco

Oh, I'm a map nerd. I've been obsessed with them since childhood.

I even went to school to be a cartographer. That was until I realized how little they earned!

Mr.EPCOT

Oh, I'm a map nerd. I've been obsessed with them since childhood.

I even went to school to be a cartographer. That was until I realized how little they earned!

You know, I've always loved maps, too, but that's a profession that never crossed my mind to consider. Thanks for heading that off! :lol:

dandaman

I have eight days to prepare my taste buds for a Smart Watermelon-Beverly mix... I just wanna see if the good neutralizes the bad to create an adequate drink. :lookaroun

EDIT: I've always been a map enthusiast as well. :lol:

hpyhnt 1000

Well, I may disagree a bit with Mr. Hill on the popularity of EPCOT Center and why he prefers the current Epcot, but that circus bit was news to me. I did not know that! :eek:

And neat set of pics there mcjaco. :wave: Wierd seeing World Showcase with little trees. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Well, I may disagree a bit with Mr. Hill on the popularity of EPCOT Center and why he prefers the current Epcot, but that circus bit was news to me. I did not know that! :eek:

And neat set of pics there mcjaco. :wave: Wierd seeing World Showcase with little trees. :lol:

Same here...I had only heard snatches about it. Anyone wanna enlighten us? World Fest is kinda fuzzy too...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ah....World Fest. How obscure you are.:eek:

Is there ANY definitive info on that?
On what? World Fest or the No Place Parade? Despite the fact both scared small children to death!

This circus ya`ll talk about - you mean Daredevil Circus Spectacular? Second only to Barbie as most out of place show in the parks history?

EPCOT Explorer

On what? World Fest or the No Place Parade? Despite the fact both scared small children to death!

This circus ya`ll talk about - you mean Daredevil Circus Spectacular? Second only to Barbie as most out of place show in the parks history?

I didn't mean you!:eek::eek::hammer::hammer: I was talking about the obscurity about those events!:lol::eek::eek:

Sorry, Martin!:eek:

But yes, I would like more info on both those items if you don't mind! They only get a passing mention on the internet and none in any of my books.:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom