All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyMusician2

We Epcot enthusiasts forget how poorly Epcot was received in it second year. For many the layman, the park is an improvement over it previous iterations. Not that I agree, but just throwing it out there.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender

Mr.EPCOT

Another reason I take everything he says as a grain of salt.

He's got good historical articles, like about the Muppets, Star Tours, Disney's America, etc., but I realize that whatever rumor articles he does is probably stretching the truth quite a bit.

*Shows off new avatar for upcoming WDW trip*

:D

Isn't that in one of Martin's tribute videos?

Who didn't like Freakin' HORIZONS?
:brick:

Jim freakin' Hill, that's who!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We Epcot enthusiasts forget how poorly Epcot was received in it second year. For many the layman, the park is an improvement over it previous iterations. Not that I agree, but just throwing it out there.
It was actually rather more successful than people make out; in spring 1983 3000 spaces were added to the parking lot since there wasn`t enough room to park all the guests. The grassed area which was paved was only originally for emmergency overflow, and brought the lot capacity up to 9000 - which was regularly full during 1983.

mcjaco

^ Which lot was that, Martin? I need to go back and look at my videos to see if we captured that. Among other things. ;)

Mr.EPCOT

^ Which lot was that, Martin? I need to go back and look at my videos to see if we captured that. Among other things. ;)

I would assume that it was the Wonder lot, it certainly seems like a section that could have been added to the parking lot later.

DisneyMusician2

It was actually rather more successful than people make out; in spring 1983 3000 spaces were added to the parking lot since there wasn`t enough room to park all the guests. The grassed area which was paved was only originally for emmergency overflow, and brought the lot capacity up to 9000 - which was regularly full during 1983.

I thought the attendance greatly dropped off in the second and their year of the park.

But I won't argue with the treasure trove of information that is Martin..:)

EPCOT Explorer

Aaaand another ignorance point for Mr. Jim Hill.:dazzle::ROFLOL:
mcjaco said:
Which lot was that, Martin? I need to go back and look at my videos to see if we captured that. Among other things.;)
That you do, Mr. MoonBase82.;):lol:

tirian

I thought the attendance greatly dropped off in the second and their year of the park.

But I won't argue with the treasure trove of information that is Martin..:)

No, Epcot's attendance didn't drop until it got stale in the early 90s. Contrary to the urban myth that EPCOT Center was initially a failure, it was extremely popular. Heck, it was even featured on VH1's "I Love the Eighties"—it was really that much of a cultural icon!*

I think most of the "EPCOT Center was a failure" myth comes from how Guests asked where the Disney characters were. People didn't leave because of that; they just wanted to know. Disney added them, and EPCOT did just fine. Some vocal critics also complained the EPCOT was too commercial, but they completely missed the point—it WAS a permanent World's Fair.

Anyway, Epcot got stale in the early 90s, and by the mid 90s, it was basically just a set of omnimovers while the MK had Splash Mt. and AE, and DMGM had ToT.

*And you can watch Justin Timberlake say it was boring, while everybody else says they loved it. Nobody ever said Justin was smart.

EPCOT Explorer

No, Epcot's attendance didn't drop until it got stale in the early 90s. Contrary to the urban myth that EPCOT Center was initially a failure, it was extremely popular. Heck, it was even featured on VH1's "I Love the Eighties"—it was really that much of a cultural icon!*

I think most of the "EPCOT Center was a failure" myth comes from how Guests asked where the Disney characters were. People didn't leave because of that; they just wanted to know. Disney added them, and EPCOT did just fine. Some vocal critics also complained the EPCOT was too commercial, but they completely missed the point—it WAS a permanent World's Fair.

Anyway, Epcot got stale in the early 90s, and by the mid 90s, it was basically just a set of omnimovers while the MK had Splash Mt. and AE, and DMGM had ToT.

*And you can watch Justin Timberlake say it was boring, while everybody else says they loved it. Nobody ever said Justin was smart.

Agreed on all points...

How terribly ironic that we think it is stale with TOO MANY characters.:lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would assume that it was the Wonder lot, it certainly seems like a section that could have been added to the parking lot later.
`twas indeed Wonder - and I could tell you original name if I could find my 1987 parking ticket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom