Alert: Avoid WDW This Weekend; Other Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedway71

AS far as the New Yorkers in Florida deal I wouldnt go as far as saying Florida as having a majority but a large amount is accurate.

Most of New York Transplants merged to Broward,Dade, Palm Beach county(east coast).I grew up in Ft lauderdale/Miami and a large amount of people in my school(including me) came from or had family in New York/ New Jersey.
About 50% of people in my block were New Yorkers.

It all depends on the part of the state you live in.North Florida does not have a lot neither does Central Fla(outside of Orlando metro area)

If anybody has ever been to Sunrise Lakes or Ramblewood East (older communities) in Ft lauderdale you would notice about a 90% New Yorker rate.

As far as the steriotypes of New Yorkers my family fits them pretty good.I dont take offense I think its funny as Hell.Come to a family reunion and you will see the biggest amount of Cadillacs and pinky rings you have ever seen in your life.:ROFLOL:

DDuckFan130

AS far as the New Yorkers in Florida deal I wouldnt go as far as saying Florida as having a majority but a large amount is accurate.

Most of New York Transplants merged to Broward,Dade, Palm Beach county(east coast).I grew up in Ft lauderdale/Miami and a large amount of people in my school(including me) came from or had family in New York/ New Jersey.

It all depends on the part of the state you live in.North Florida does not have a lot neither does Central Fla(outside of Orlando metro area)

If anybody has ever been to Sunrise Lakes or Ramblewood East (older communities) in Ft lauderdale you would notice about a 90% New Yorker rate.

As far as the steriotypes of New Yorkers my family fits them pretty good.I dont take offense I think its funny as Hell.Come to a family reunion and you will see the biggest amount of Cadillacs and pinky rings you have ever seen in your life.:ROFLOL:
I didn't know that but it's interesting. I've never really met anyone in my neck of the woods that is from New York :shrug:

I live in Miami btw, about 20-30 minutes north of Homestead.

LeaveALegacyGuy

Okay...so what's the official scoop then fellas?

What's happening in the Parks? Is all heck breaking loose?

Anyone know when the insanity will subside?

Anyone currently there experiencing any mayhem?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Last night I was at work in Mouse Gear, and the cheerleaders I saw were well behaved; however, I did not actually see full squads, but rather small groups of like 3 or 4. Other than that, heck was not breaking loose from them, but it was breaking loose by the amount of people wanting to buy stuff at a certain time (usually around 6pm).

wedway71

I didn't know that but it's interesting. I've never really met anyone in my neck of the woods that is from New York :shrug:

I live in Miami btw, about 20-30 minutes north of Homestead.

I spent every weekend in Miami.Grew up in Sunrise(west broward) but Dad lived in Miami.North Miami and Miami Beach has the largest New York Population in Dade while in Broward -Sunrise,Plantation,Coral Springs had the most there.

Now a large amount of that is coming across the state to Ft myers/Naples/Cape Coral.I had a house in Cape Coral and sold it to someone from Pompano who was from New York before that.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
A titbit I picked up from the good old BBC, 20% of Floridians are infact of British extraction, with significant increases in the last 20 years.

No wonder the dentists are so busy.

kramicart

"We were all teenagers once."

Actually, according to my parents I went from 8 directly to 30. Now, according to my wife, I'm holding at 5. So, luckily, no teen years for me.

We were there on Sunday. Some highlights:

HM completely shut down for "technical difficulties".

Splash stopped while we were on it. A live announcement continually repeated for people to "remain seated".

A teen female wearing a group tee shirt (or cheerleader, if you will) walked into, knocked down and stepped over my 1 1/2 year old without a word and kept walking.

We also got an undisclosed CM to say on the record that they "were SO annoying".

dwayneswife

I'm another person that has been in WDW when obnoxious tour groups have been there. The chanting/shouting very tan spanish speaking ladies were wonderful last year. Anyone one else see them? They were all wearing yellow and shouting chants that sounded like battle cries.

Yes! We saw them last week! We saw a lot of teens who were cheerleaders or dance teams (not sure which). By and large these groups were very well behaved and relatively quite in the parks. We stayed offsite, so I'm not sure what it was like staying in one of the resorts with them. We just kept trying to remember, too, that they are teens in a Disney park, most there without their parents along. Who doesn't get excited at Disney?!

Our problems came from the Spanish-speaking groups. Animal Kingdom was a nightmare on Friday afternoon where they were continually doing their chants. The worst problem from them, though, was the fact that they were extremely rude. They were running in the parks, traveling in extremely large packs, breaking in lines, pushing others out of the way.

I don't have a problem with groups visiting while I'm there. I just wish someone would take the time to teach them manners and make sure they use them.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
You mean soccer? :hurl:

Yes you know the game with a ball started a few years before yale got the idea to mess up rugby, where a world cup involves teams from more than one country. Except that most people call it football, I know that in the US you have a game you call football and is similar to our game of rugby, except that ours dosent stop for TV add breaks.:cool:

ilovepluto23

Quick Notes:
  • Splash shut down while we were about to board. Someone exited their log on during the middle of the ride and was apparently running through the mountain. It took them about 15 minutes to find them which created a real problem with keeping other guest in their log. Apparently others ended up getting out of their logs as well and Cast Members were running all over the place to gather them up. I asked if someone got out of the log because the ride shut down or if they shut the log down because someone got out. She said that they shut the ride down AFTER someone got out.

:ROFLOL: I couldn't help but crack up at this! I look goofy sitting here in my university's computer lab (which is pretty quiet) trying to hold back laughter.:lol:
Of course, it is completely ignorant and annoying. These are obviously teenagers running around. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it were younger children the way people discipline their children (or lack thereof). Idiots!

Gucci65

****IMPORTANT****

For all you cheerleader haters out there: The next big competition (I know of) will be the UCA Nationals which will be held on March 9 - 11, 2007.

You are hereby warned. So please avoid the parks so we can avoid further _______ sessions about how badly behaved they are.:brick:

Please also check the wide world of sports site as well, cause they have all the upcoming WDW cheerleading competitions listed. Oh, and don't forget to check the Universal site cause they are hosting competitions this year as well.

NOW for those of you living in the Atlanta area, please avoid downtown this coming weekend since there will be 744 teams in the GWCC competing.

commandorabbit

Just got back from the world and this was the second year in a row that we went over the first week in February. Guess we didn't learn from last years cheerleading experience. My biggest problem was with the 100 or so "cheerleaders/dancers" from Argentina and Chile. Those were the ones who got on my nerves running around the park in groups of 30 acting like they run the place. I wanted to push their leader into the water after they tried to start the wave for the 40th time while waiting for Fantasmic.

I guess I was so annoyed that it made me post here for *I think* the first time after about a year and a half of trolling. Ha!

They were actually better this year because I think we were on different park schedules. Last year they seemed to be following us everyday!

Gucci65

They compete one day at the wide world of sports Milk House and the other day at Indiana Jones in MGM. Arrive on Friday, compete Saturday & Sunday. Leave to go home Sunday night, Monday morning.

They usually buy discounted 3 day hopper passes and from what I've heard from the kids on our cheer squads, they want to hit MK instead of AK and Epcot.

Good Luck.

mikey

I have to weigh in on this one. We've visited WDW three or four times in the past during the Cheerleading weeks...not because we wanted to, but because it fit our schedule.

Last year, we got word that a soft opening on Everest would be available for a limited time the following day, so we went and got in line and waited for nearly two hours to get to ride.

That entire time in that line line was excruciating, with the pack of six or seven girls and three or four boys behind us. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about the foul language that some of these kids use, and it was true that day. I finally had to turn around and tell one of the boys to clean it up. I hated being a "heavy" -- especially at Disney World! -- but I'd had enough of the swearing.

I was surprised that parents who had younger kids wouldn't say anything to them, but I did get a couple of "thank you's" afterward!

And I'm surprised that winners in a "national" competition aren't better behaved, too.

From what I've seen, when sponsors and chaperones are around, they generally seem to behave, but once they cut loose...they cut loose.

I hope that any chaperones who read this will stay on top of their groups in the future. Thanks for reading.

palmage

Yes you know the game with a ball started a few years before yale got the idea to mess up rugby, where a world cup involves teams from more than one country. Except that most people call it football, I know that in the US you have a game you call football and is similar to our game of rugby, except that ours dosent stop for TV add breaks.:cool:

Niow Rugby, that's something close to football!!
Great sport.
Soccer is what little girls play here.

palmage

Broward is a southern suburb of New York and Dade is a northern suburb of Cuba. Then you have the people with the little flags on the rear view mirror sprinkled everywhere.

New Yorkers are OK if you no how to handle them. Tampa is loaded with them.

I have worked with several people from NY and all but one are good friends.
The one was from Lon Gisland and he was so over the top.
He wouldn't eat at a Tampa deli because the bread wasn't as good as you get in NY.

Fogetaboutit

New Yorkers (at least the ones I know) think NY has the best of everything on earth, and they'll tell you that.

I think NY is an awesome place to visit.

By the way cheerleaders and their mothers are the:fork:

Nut4Disney

We just returned yesterday from a week at WDW. I purposely stayed at CBR as I knew most of the cheerleaders would be staying at the values. I also picked last week because it seemed to fall between two of the competitions. I think we picked a pretty good week. I didn't see any cheerleaders at the parks (Feb 4-10). All of the rides at all parks were pretty much walk ons or at the most a 20 minute wait. The food court and pool at CBR was not crowded either. I did start to see a large amount of cheerleaders begin to show up on Fri. the 9th, and the food court became very crowded, but we were leaving the next day so I didn't mind it too much. We rented a car as we never take the buses, as we find it so much faster and easier with the car, but the bus stops on Sat. were filled with cheerleaders going to their competitions, so I would not want to be there this week and deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom