Al Lutz: Tom Staggs stepping back and reconsidering many aspects of FLE

Biff215

Yeah you're probably right about that last statement there.

It'd be interesting to see all of the insiders like Al Lutz, Jim Hill, Kevin Yee, etc all have a round-table conversation. I would love for that to happen in some podcast. That's something I'd love to hear.

If you're looking for real information, then you're giving all three of them too much credit, at least as far as WDW is concerned. Lutz has inside access, but more so at DL. Most feel Jim Hill is used by his sources to stir the pot which explains his track record. Kevin Yee seems to get most of his information from sites like this, although I don't think he has ever claimed to have inside access, and his writing style reflects this.

It would still be interesting to hear the three of them talk. Who do you think could be the most negative toward WDW and TDO??? :p

Captain Chaos

The m&g's and PH were not what sold me on the expansion, it is the idea that the overarching cohesive backstory of a forest beyond the castle walls provides. The WDW FL was so weak since opening day. I am still hoping the FLE will address that. The good news is, everyone can see what proper investing has done for the DLR.

While I agree overall with your post... (Especially that last statement;)) I think that the M&G's should be given the axe, BUT, that is only IF they decide to put something with a bit more testosterone in its place, if not then keep them. I'd rather have that. Toontown I think should just go no matter what... Lol. I've always dislike that place.

I'm wondering, what is it exactly that Tom Staggs is attempting to replace? The M&G's? Or the east side of the expansion(PH and Dumbo)?:confused:

Also, yes, I'm sure we could all use a few hints right about now. We need a glimmer of hope!

Even though I think the cottage M&G are a good idea, there is plenty of space to testosterone-ize the expansion... Tear down Toontown and put something there.. Why do the cottages/M&Gs have to go? There is plenty of space to add something boyish... Like I said, cancel pixie Hollow and tear down Toontown and the boyish issues can be solved there...

And like you, I wonder what Staggs is reviewing... If he leaves it in TDO's hands, expect nothing to be added... just landscaping.. and a DVC cart that sells Disney pins....

DisneyParksFan1

Even though I think the cottage M&G are a good idea, there is plenty of space to testosterone-ize the expansion... Tear down Toontown and put something there.. Why do the cottages/M&Gs have to go? There is plenty of space to add something boyish... Like I said, cancel pixie Hollow and tear down Toontown and the boyish issues can be solved there...

And like you, I wonder what Staggs is reviewing... If he leaves it in TDO's hands, expect nothing to be added... just landscaping.. and a DVC cart that sells Disney pins....

Ya know you are right! The west side of the expansion could be more female-oriented and the east side could be male-oriented, but where would the Dumbo area go? I agree completely though!:D

I too wonder what it is that he is reviewing. We all know that it has to do with the gender issues that has plagued the project from the beginning, but what do you think he may add? It'd be nice if in place of Pixie Hollow there would be a Fantasia mini-land or something like that.

TP2000

Al has excellent sources... for Disneyland.

Yeah, he usually does, and he gets great scoops and is a fun read.

I think the exclusively WDW fans here are taking some of this info today out of context. The article today from Lutz was about CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE and not WDW. The big news here is that Little Mermaid at DCA will not have Fastpass. The short two-paragraph aside about the WDW version of Mermaid is where he threw some of the stuff about FLE being stalled a bit, really as a point of reference to the DCA version of Mermaid.

You really do need to read the entire Al Lutz article, and pretend you are a Southern California Annual Passholder while you read it. (Put on an In-N-Out Burger T-Shirt and play The Beach Boys, if that helps get you in the mood. :lol:) That's his audience, that's who eats him up, that's who he is writing for. Not a WDW fan living in Ohio or Virginia or Tampa.

Lutz has only been to WDW once or twice, hasn't he? He really doesn't care much about WDW. That's not his market.

Captain Chaos

Ya know you are right! The west side of the expansion could be more female-oriented and the east side could be male-oriented, but where would the Dumbo area go? I agree completely though!:D

I too wonder what it is that he is reviewing. We all know that it has to do with the gender issues that has plagued the project from the beginning, but what do you think he may add? It'd be nice if in place of Pixie Hollow there would be a Fantasia mini-land or something like that.

Dumbo can still go where it was planned to go... There is nothing wrong with having a circus on the outskirts of a forest... Wasn't it like that back in medieval times anyway??? And isn't the theme of Fantasyland Forest partially medieval??? The area that is not taken up by Dumbo can be the testosterone-filled area... I don't think Carsland would be a good fit... Try explaining the story of how Radiator Springs came to be by a Fairytale Forest... But, if they did something like Sword in the Stone, or Black Cauldron, or Robin Hood... At least forests play into those stories... Even Wonderland fits, but is it testosterone-filled enough???

Honestly, villains... Villains are the only way to balance this out... Good exisits because of evil and vice verse.. there has to be balance in the universe.. LOL

DisneyParksFan1

Dumbo can still go where it was planned to go... There is nothing wrong with having a circus on the outskirts of a forest... Wasn't it like that back in medieval times anyway??? And isn't the theme of Fantasyland Forest partially medieval??? The area that is not taken up by Dumbo can be the testosterone-filled area... I don't think Carsland would be a good fit... Try explaining the story of how Radiator Springs came to be by a Fairytale Forest... But, if they did something like Sword in the Stone, or Black Cauldron, or Robin Hood... At least forests play into those stories... Even Wonderland fits, but is it testosterone-filled enough???

Honestly, villains... Villains are the only way to balance this out... Good exisits because of evil and vice verse.. there has to be balance in the universe.. LOL

Lolz, yeah I've always wanted a villains anything in the parks, but unfortunately we haven't gotten that.

^^^That's probably a good bet.

T-1MILLION

I am hoping double dumbos was canceled along with Pixie Hallow.

Two dumbo spinners is just so tacky. I don't know why they don't just design a larger base with more arms to spin and double or near double the capacity of what they have now. It would take a longer holding area but not a longer wait. Every time it would stop it would eat a chunk of people and most importantly not look like two fair rides plopped down next to each other.

The only things I am looking forward to with this expansion are Little Mermaid and Gaston's Tavern.

The Empress Lilly

The m&g's and PH were not what sold me on the expansion, it is the idea that the overarching cohesive backstory of a forest beyond the castle walls provides.
I very much agree.

At the very least, (phase 1 of) the FLE had a cohesiveness about it. It made sense, even if the M&G's didn't get me truly excited. It would've / will be a nice place to stroll around a bit.

Captain Chaos

Lolz, yeah I've always wanted a villains anything in the parks, but unfortunately we haven't gotten that.

^^^That's probably a good bet.

Maybe we'll get Bald Mountain... Maybe Fire Mountain... Didn't Eisner want to build a mountain similar to Matterhorn, with bobsleds that ended in some sort of water landing, or maybe even a second log flume style villain's mountain??

Just as long as they don't dust off the princess ride Eisner wanted to build LOL....

themeparkdude

ugha

TDO...there is no such place. TDO is home to community relations and random offices not home of the leaders who make the calls. Calls to spend this much money comes from TDA (one disney) remember?

Omegadiz

Hmmm. Maybe they should send the people at TDO to the OLC to get some more training. Its not supposed to be about "how much money would we save if we did this" it should be, "how much money do we need to make sure that we give our guest the best."

surely the most visited theme park/resort in the world has cash to give a new attraction every 3 - 5 years that are high quality. Look at Tokyo! heck, Look at Disneyland making an effort with its lack of space. Now look at Orlando.

Walt was all about getting thhe money to enhance guest expiriences like the tv special.

As a matter of fact, the entire Parks and Resorts section of the WDC could use OLC's help.....at least thats my opinion

SeaCastle

Hmmm. Maybe they should send the people at TDO to the OLC to get some more training. Its not supposed to be about "how much money would we save if we did this" it should be, "how much money do we need to make sure that we give our guest the best."

surely the most visited theme park/resort in the world has cash to give a new attraction every 3 - 5 years that are high quality. Look at Tokyo! heck, Look at Disneyland making an effort with its lack of space. Now look at Orlando.

Walt was all about getting thhe money to enhance guest expiriences like the tv special.

As a matter of fact, the entire Parks and Resorts section of the WDC could use OLC's help.....at least thats my opinion

Without the OLC, Tokyo Disneyland Resort would not be able to sustain adding new attractions or be able to build a $4 billion theme park. The money simply does not exist within the Walt Disney Company to be able to pull that off. The WDC does not own Tokyo Disneyland, they just own the rights to the characters and franchises there. The OLC pays for everything else as far as I know, so having TDO learn from them wouldn't be practical because these are two entirely different situations. One could also make the argument that WDW is a destination resort, and Tokyo Disneyland is more of a regional resort like Disneyland.

Ichabod55

God forbid Disney addresses the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Pinocchio, Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, Alice in Wonderland (dark ride), Robin Hood, the Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book and yes even bring back Mr. Toad.

They need more male dominated dark rides....

wickedfan07

If the Princess meet n' greets are on hold, perhaps Disney can move the Dumbo project to the middle of Fantasy Forest where the new Cinderella and Aurora greeting locations are supposed to be. This change would solve a number of problems. First, it fills the gaping hole in the middle of the expansion left by non existent greeting locations. Second, it allows Disney to come through on the advertised changes to Dumbo, which sound pretty neat. Third, it allows visible progress to happen in Fantasyland without closing Toontown down. The Magic Kingdom can retain as much capacity as possible while the Company decides what to do. If the Princess meeting spots eventually get the green light, they can always be relcated and incorporated into the expansion elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom