Al Lutz: Tom Staggs stepping back and reconsidering many aspects of FLE

DisneyParksFan1

I am still undecided whether I love this news or not. If they replace the M&Gs, Dumbo and PH with some awesome rides, shows and thematic areas (AiW, is that you?) I will be one happy guy, and I will join the Tom Staggs fan club. :sohappy:

If not.... :fork:

Exactly. I am still on-the-fence about these news. It's good that he is taking the time to step back and see it from a different point of view and possibly change it, but what worries me is this:

WILL he change it? Or simply not include the M&G's along with PH? :dazzle:

IMO, I would rather they put in everything that's on the concept art of the FLE rather than just the ride and restaurant.:shrug:

So it's definitely somewhat bittersweet to hear these news.

BrerFrog

Exactly. I am still on-the-fence about these news. It's good that he is taking the time to step back and see it from a different point of view and possibly change it, but what worries me is this:

WILL he change it? Or simply not include the M&G's along with PH? :dazzle:

IMO, I would rather they put in everything that's on the concept art of the FLE rather than just the ride and restaurant.:shrug:

So it's definitely somewhat bittersweet to hear these news.

Yes, although I don't see myself waiting in line to participate on Aurora's birthday party, I would rather see her cottage there than grass and dirt.

Atomicmickey

Well, given the fact that the bulldozers are moving, and walls are going up on the Little Mermaid, it's only a matter of time before we hear something.

Looking forward to more aerial and over the fence pics!

DisneyParksFan1

Well, given the fact that the bulldozers are moving, and walls are going up on the Little Mermaid, it's only a matter of time before we hear something.

Looking forward to more aerial and over the fence pics!

Yes, they will definitely have to decide fast whether or not they will keep the M&G's because the bulldozers are already hard at work!

BrerFrog

I also expect to hear the final word on this relatively soon. They probably have some sort of backup plans to evaluate and greenlight in place of the M&Gs. :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I am still undecided whether I love this news or not. If they replace the M&Gs, Dumbo and PH with some awesome rides, shows and thematic areas (AiW, is that you?) I will be one happy guy, and I will join the Tom Staggs fan club. :sohappy:

If not.... :fork:

Well, let's bear in mind, this isn't exactly 100% empirical news....

DisneyNut2007

The m&g's and PH were not what sold me on the expansion, it is the idea that the overarching cohesive backstory of a forest beyond the castle walls provides. The WDW FL was so weak since opening day. I am still hoping the FLE will address that. The good news is, everyone can see what proper investing has done for the DLR.

Exactly!

And despite what Empress Lilly and the other naysayers think or say, TDO DOES, and will, spend money.

And as I've said before, they don't have as much as power as a lot of you like to assume, so please stop it.

DisneyNut2007

I also expect to hear the final word on this relatively soon. They probably have some sort of backup plans to evaluate and greenlight in place of the M&Gs. :shrug:

As another friendly reminder, the meet-and-greets are STILL happening, along with the rest of the expansion's first phase.

TDO has little or no say in large capital projects, so all you TDO-bashers would be wise to keep quiet.

Captain Chaos

The m&g's and PH were not what sold me on the expansion, it is the idea that the overarching cohesive backstory of a forest beyond the castle walls provides. The WDW FL was so weak since opening day. I am still hoping the FLE will address that. The good news is, everyone can see what proper investing has done for the DLR.

I feel the same as you... The M&G and PH didn't do it for me... But the cohesive story behind FLE did... I mean, the princesses live in Fairtytale Forest, right??? Makes sense to have their cottages... And instead of empty cottages, Disney decided to make them highly themed M&Gs... Not my cup of tea, but I understand why they wanted to do this... and I hope the cottages still are part of the plan...

I still hope the removal of Toontown is in the plans too, and that Pixie Hollow is kaput... I'd just like a little hint of some of the things being discussed as replacements or new additions to this expansion... Then maybe I, WE will feel much better about things...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Definitely not, but could it be that long rumored turn-around?QUOTE]

It could be anything, which is one of the reasons I find Lutz's articles so useless, at least when it comes to WDW. Construction on the FLE is still in its nascent stages, and he's already declaring budgets slashed and attractions removed? Because Tom Staggs has sons and not daughters? :brick:

DisneyParksFan1

I feel the same as you... The M&G and PH didn't do it for me... But the cohesive story behind FLE did... I mean, the princesses live in Fairtytale Forest, right??? Makes sense to have their cottages... And instead of empty cottages, Disney decided to make them highly themed M&Gs... Not my cup of tea, but I understand why they wanted to do this... and I hope the cottages still are part of the plan...

I still hope the removal of Toontown is in the plans too, and that Pixie Hollow is kaput... I'd just like a little hint of some of the things being discussed as replacements or new additions to this expansion... Then maybe I, WE will feel much better about things...

While I agree overall with your post... (Especially that last statement;)) I think that the M&G's should be given the axe, BUT, that is only IF they decide to put something with a bit more testosterone in its place, if not then keep them. I'd rather have that. Toontown I think should just go no matter what... Lol. I've always dislike that place.

I'm wondering, what is it exactly that Tom Staggs is attempting to replace? The M&G's? Or the east side of the expansion(PH and Dumbo)?:confused:

Also, yes, I'm sure we could all use a few hints right about now. We need a glimmer of hope!

DisneyParksFan1

Definitely not, but could it be that long rumored turn-around?QUOTE]

It could be anything, which is one of the reasons I find Lutz's articles so useless, at least when it comes to WDW. Construction on the FLE is still in its nascent stages, and he's already declaring budgets slashed and attractions removed? Because Tom Staggs has sons and not daughters? :brick:

Yeah you're probably right about that last statement there.

It'd be interesting to see all of the insiders like Al Lutz, Jim Hill, Kevin Yee, etc all have a round-table conversation. I would love for that to happen in some podcast. That's something I'd love to hear.

DisneyNut2007

Al Lutz and Kevin Yee are NOT insiders! :mad:

They're nothing more than overly-nihilistic bloggers who think they're all that, but they're not! :mad:

I sure do wish Enderikari was here... :cry:

aklodge

Original Poster
I think this is actually good news. Had we not had the Frontierland rumors start swirling recently, I would say otherwise. FLE is just too focused, plain and simple. I think that projects around other areas of the park that we have heard about (and those we haven't) will bring in both more guests and more money.

DisneyParksFan1

I think this is actually good news. Had we not had the Frontierland rumors start swirling recently, I would say otherwise. FLE is just too focused, plain and simple. I think that projects around other areas of the park that we have heard about (and those we haven't) will bring in both more guests and more money.

Can you please elaborate? :confused:

Skyway

I would imagine the Princess M&Gs could be significantly scaled back without being eliminated.

Other than a new spinner, there's really not much than could fill that void between Pooh and Mermaid, where the Cindy and Aurora M&Gs were going.

And I'm all for themed, covered, and air-conditioned M&G areas.

But it seemed like Disney was spending a lot of money adding lots of bells and whistles to those M&Gs to turn them into mini "shows" which had limited appeal.

I don't advocate cutting corners, but I assume they could keep the buildings but eliminate the "show". I envision decorated walk-throughs similar to Mickey and Minnie's houses where the princesses could host M&Gs (and where kids could explore when the characters are away. Under the current plans, it appeared that when the characters were off the clock-- like late at night -- the venues may have been closed completely)

This scaled-back option would also allow Disney to save face ("see, we built them!") without having to explain the large patches of landscaping that filled in the gaps.

DisneyParksFan1

In the end we must remember that WDW turned out to be like this because of the people living in this nefarious building.:fork:

EDIT: Well, IMO, it's either make the M&G's completely with the whole experience/mini show, or something that can appeal to other people rather than little girls. So for me it's a win-lose situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom