Al Lutz: Tom Staggs stepping back and reconsidering many aspects of FLE

misterID

When you look over the last 15 years, both DL and WDW have had their highs and lows. It always bounces back, just as DCA is seeing right now. People who constantly praise DL right now seem to forget how bad things were there a few years ago. There were some dark times out there.

Disney did not get WDW to where it is now by being stupid, and even though some people don't like some of the management, there is still enough common sense and creativity in there to get things on track. It will be done and done right.

YUP.

I think the Lasseter era is just now starting to happen and DL is a prime example of what's to come. I really hope that soon some of that love will flow to WDW and override some... vanilla... or, frugle (and that's being generous! :D) management decisions.

DisneyParksFan1

YUP.

I think the Lasseter era is just now starting to happen and DL is a prime example of what's to come. I really hope that soon some of that love will flow to WDW and override some... vanilla... or, frugle (and that's being generous! :D) management decisions.

Boy, it seems like everyone is reading my mind today. I'm hoping for this to happen as well. I think once DL is finished and fixed up, they will pay more attention to us.

jt04

You didn't already know that?

I can't wait to see how you spin it if/when the FLE gets canned. Somehow you'll make it seem that's what you had said they'd do all along. :rolleyes:

We'll see Mermaid, and the restaurant. Mermaid because I'm sure a great amount of the AA's and interior stuff is already built, and the restaurant because... Well, it's obvious that's what TDO's happy to build. Things that directly impact the bottom line, like restaurants.

The question mark is what they'll do with all that other space... If anything.

How would I know? :shrug::lol:

I still think TDO has little say on large capital projects. They may have talked Skaggs into reallocating resources but ultimately I think the company knows it needs to invest in WDW. If not, they are in for some hard lessons in economics.

And if Steve says we will like the changes, well that is a source you can count on.

tirian

Some of the alternate ideas will make a lot of people happy. It's not all doom and gloom - have faith.

Yep, yep, yep.

I have a lot of faith in Staggs' reconsiderations. Several rumors are swirling around, and they're all good.

He isn't pulling the plug on FLE, folks. He's killing off the concentration on Princesses and Pixies. That's a good thing.

SeaCastle

How would I know? :shrug::lol:

I still think TDO has little say on large capital projects. They may have talked Skaggs into reallocating resources but ultimately I think the company knows it needs to invest in WDW. If not, they are in for some hard lessons in economics.

And if Steve says we will like the changes, well that is a source you can count on.

As Martin has said here, corporate has been wanting to invest in the Florida property for a long time, but TDO keeps holding them back. (The same organization who refuses to spend on large capital projects like Space Mountain's refurbishment, a new fireworks show for EPCOT, a new land for the Animal Kingdom, etc.).

jt04

As Martin has said here, corporate has been wanting to invest in the Florida property for a long time, but TDO keeps holding them back. (The same organization who refuses to spend on large capital projects like Space Mountain's refurbishment, a new fireworks show for EPCOT, a new land for the Animal Kingdom, etc.).

Oops, you posted at the same as Tirian. :wave:

Buried20KLeague

I think it makes much more common sense to assume TDO makes the decisions and Glendale has veto power. There have only been a couple decisions (by all accounts) where Glendale has stepped in and overridden what TDO wanted. Largely, unfortunately, TDO seems to have been able to do what they like with their property.

DisneyParksFan1

Which is why they should all get fired...:fork:

jt04

I think it makes much more common sense to assume TDO makes the decisions and Glendale has veto power. There have only been a couple decisions (by all accounts) where Glendale has stepped in and overridden what TDO wanted. Largely, unfortunately, TDO seems to have been able to do what they like with their property.

I'd advise studying Iger's track record as CEO. It appears to me he is systematically moving from division to division and changing attitudes and/or personnel as required. It just so happens WDW was not first on the list. But I think it is on the list. Even the most entrenched at TDO must see the pattern. So, I'm not worried but that does not mean that WDW doesn't have to earn my business in the future because they do. Artist concepts are nice, but construction will bring me back everytime.

The Empress Lilly

Meh, TDO wouldn't spend if you threw the money at them.

Management there is stuck in the nineties: cut and slash, then reap your bonus because the numbers look so good now. On a spreadsheet, that is. In reality, you are simply destroying a thriving business for extremely short term goals.

Not that this couldn't be a good thing. The M&G's and Pixie Hollow never were all that exciting to begin with. The Restaurant will come, because no restaurant does not get build in Orlando. TLM will come, because it is being build in Anaheim too, and Disney needs to share the costs.

We'll see, maybe something good wil come out of this. In Cali, the investments in the parks are paying off. There is a re-realisation in TDA that quality pays.

Buried20KLeague

Management there is stuck in the nineties: cut and slash, then reap your bonus because the numbers look so good now.

Couldn't agree more.

Get as much as you can as fast as you can while you're in control, by any means necessary. You're only going to have this position for so long... MAXIMIZE TAKE HOME while you can!!! The next people in line can fix whatever damage you create.

DisneyParksFan1

Management there is stuck in the nineties: cut and slash, then reap your bonus because the numbers look so good now. On a spreadsheet, that is. In reality, you are simply destroying a thriving business for extremely short term goals.

Not that this couldn't be a good thing. The M&G's and Pixie Hollow never were all that exciting to begin with. The Restaurant will come, because no restaurant does not get build in Orlando. TLM will come, because it is being build in Anaheim too, and Disney needs to share the costs.

We'll see, maybe something good wil come out of this. In Cali, the investments in the parks are paying off. There is a re-realisation in TDA that quality pays.

Everyone is on a roll today. So does anybody know at all if there is ANY chance whatsoever of TDO making some kind of turnaround?

Captain Chaos

When you look over the last 15 years, both DL and WDW have had their highs and lows. It always bounces back, just as DCA is seeing right now. People who constantly praise DL right now seem to forget how bad things were there a few years ago. There were some dark times out there.

Disney did not get WDW to where it is now by being stupid, and even though some people don't like some of the management, there is still enough common sense and creativity in there to get things on track. It will be done and done right.

You are right... Disney didn't get WDW to where it is by being stupid.. However, we have gotten a lot of watered down, terrible refurbs and replacements by TDO being cheap, not stupid... Cheap..

I hope you are right when you say they will add things we will be happy with.. However, with TDO's track record, I'm skeptical at best....

Buried20KLeague

Everyone is on a roll today. So does anybody know at all if there is ANY chance whatsoever of TDO making some kind of turnaround?

Sure. Look no further than DL's huge turnaround for the 50th. That place was in trouble before that.

But it took a mentality change, and the right person being put in charge... Plus it HAD to help that Glendale was right down the street. WDW is a LOT further away... It doesn't get visited by the suits like DL does.

I think a change at TDO will be a LOT more difficult than the one at DL was. But it happened there... It could happen here.

DisneyParksFan1

Sure. Look no further than DL's huge turnaround for the 50th. That place was in trouble before that.

But it took a mentality change, and the right person being put in charge... Plus it HAD to help that Glendale was right down the street. WDW is a LOT further away... It doesn't get visited by the suits like DL does.

I think a change at TDO will be a LOT more difficult than the one at DL was. But it happened there... It could happen here.

I'm hoping that it happens, and soon.

It is very difficult to think of something that can change TDO for the better, and at that, what was it that changed TDA anyway?

jt04

The m&g's and PH were not what sold me on the expansion, it is the idea that the overarching cohesive backstory of a forest beyond the castle walls provides. The WDW FL was so weak since opening day. I am still hoping the FLE will address that. The good news is, everyone can see what proper investing has done for the DLR.

SeaCastle

It's fair to say that if more suits took [unscheduled] visits to the parks, things would be quite different than they are now. I can't remember where I heard this, but when John Lassetter and other suits visited WDW, they were not very happy with what they saw.

DisneyParksFan1

It's fair to say that if more suits took [unscheduled] visits to the parks, things would be quite different than they are now. I can't remember where I heard this, but when John Lassetter and other suits visited WDW, they were not very happy with what they saw.

Yes I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't so happy. Seeing as they are used to seeing all the high quality things over at Disneyland, they would see that WDW dwarfs in comparison to DLR as far as quality. I hope when they come back they will address these issues. I heard that the whole reason we got this expansion was because of John Lasseter.

BrerFrog

I am still undecided whether I love this news or not. If they replace the M&Gs, Dumbo and PH with some awesome rides, shows and thematic areas (AiW, is that you?) I will be one happy guy, and I will join the Tom Staggs fan club. :sohappy:

If not.... :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom