Al Lutz: Tom Staggs stepping back and reconsidering many aspects of FLE

RSoxNo1

I think what's happening is that Pixie Hollow was on the bubble when it was announced at D23, and the franchise isn't as popular as the princesses. Giving Pixie Hollow the axe is logical. The problem is they've already wasted millions in development.

Grizzly Hall 71

Shame on the parents for forcing their child to do something the child does not want to do.. Why is the parent forcing the child? Cause the parent is selfish... So, Grizz, should we shut down all Fantasyland since, as you put it, boys don't enjoy it???

People have to stop thinking that everything has to be done to satisfy everyone all of the time... there are plenty of things to do in Magic Kingdom.. You don't like PhilharMagic, go ride Pirates... Don't like Splash Mountain, go sit in Hall of Presidents... Can't stand Snow White's Scary Adventure, go hop on Space Mountain...

If Disney has to make things that appealed to only your or one demographic, Disney would be as bankrupt as Six Flags....
No we shouldn't but they should make a ride available that will appeal to boys. Like what Mattehorn is in DL.

My cousins are 6-12 are they don't enjoy those rides. Is there something wrong them becuase they don't enjoy them? And I will do those other things but I think their should be a more male appealing adventure.

And disney is only appealing to one demographic with this FLE, GIRLS! And are they backrupt, no. And i doubt they ever will. Your last point makes no sense because they only appeal to one demo in FLE. And according to a lot of other arguements for this expansion the other lands are only for Boys. So they do only appeal to one demo in each land, I don't believe it but a lot of people do. So is Disney bankrupt?

The Studios really only appeals to Teens, are they bankrupt?

lightning509s

Let me chime into this “bank-n-forth” conversation about boys and girls vs. Fantasyland. I have a 10 year daughter a 3 year old daughter (She doesn’t count/She likes everything) and a 7 year old son. They both like the following: Peter Pan, Philharmagic and the Teacups. My son could care less about Winnie, Dumbo, Carousel, Snow White and the Princess M & G’s while my daughter does. Neither one really enjoys Small World any longer (outgrown it).

I can tell you that my son would only visit the new FLE “as proposed” if my wife and I were taking our daughters there. When I first showed both of them the conceptual drawings, my son was like “eh” while my daughter was very excited. That, my friends, speaks volumes. Disney should, and probably will, change things around to elicit excitement from both boys and girls.

I can only postulate that Tom’s boys are feeling pretty much the same as my son about FLE “as proposed”.

David S.

My point is those lands have rides geared to both genders. FL doesn't. And no I don't see many boys enjoying those rides but i do see them riding. There's a difference between a boy being forced to ride and a boy enjoying. I see a lot being forced.

The Fantasyland rides have been my favorites since I was a little boy and continue to be to this day! :) I was never FORCED, I was the one wanting to go there!

In fact I'd be jumping for joy if we could get more rides in our Fantasyland, like the missing Disneyland classics such as Pinocchio, Alice, Toad, Casey Jr., Storybook Land, and Matterhorn. Something never been done before would blow me away as well, such as dark rides for Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, or Beauty and the Beast.

The Animated Classic films always were and always will be at the heart of what the word "Disney" means to me. Fantasyland has always been and will always be my favorite "land" because it's where the beloved characters, songs, and stories from these films come to life in the parks. It's the timeless land of enchantment for the young and the young at heart where storybook dreams come true! :)

PS. I'm over 30 and proud to say I haven't "outgrown" It's A Small World, and NEVER will! :)

imagineer boy

You know, dark rides themed to characters that may be percieved as "girly" actually appeal to both boys and girls equally simply becasue they're rides. But when it comes to meet n greets, young boys DO NOT want to get hugs from a princess. That's why most of the "attractions" of FLE do not appeal to boys at all.

I say bring on the mary poppins dark ride (seriously, that would be amazing!)!

jt04

Let me chime into this “bank-n-forth” conversation about boys and girls vs. Fantasyland. I have a 10 year daughter a 3 year old daughter (She doesn’t count/She likes everything) and a 7 year old son. They both like the following: Peter Pan, Philharmagic and the Teacups. My son could care less about Winnie, Dumbo, Carousel, Snow White and the Princess M & G’s while my daughter does. Neither one really enjoys Small World any longer (outgrown it).

I can tell you that my son would only visit the new FLE “as proposed” if my wife and I were taking our daughters there. When I first showed both of them the conceptual drawings, my son was like “eh” while my daughter was very excited. That, my friends, speaks volumes. Disney should, and probably will, change things around to elicit excitement from both boys and girls.

I can only postulate that Tom’s boys are feeling pretty much the same as my son about FLE “as proposed”.

That is why the MK has Frontierland, the shooting gallery, TSI, pirates, jungle cruise, Buzz, Stitch, the raceway etc etc etc.

Strange thing is FL is really not losing anything. And nobody cried about it being too girlish for 40 years.

This whole internet campaign will fail as miserably as the last 10,258 of them have. :lol:

Enchantâmes

But in each of those lands you'll find something that will appeal to both genders. Girls love Stitch, they also love Splash, they also love aladdin. But in Fantasyland, ITS ALL GIRLS. Boys don't enjoy anything in there.

I don't understand this arguement because MK was designed so families can have fun TOGETHER.
Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty were all entertaining for both boys are girls I don't know when that changed. :shrug:

Grizzly Hall 71

Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty were all entertaining for both boys are girls I don't know when that changed. :shrug:

Sure they like the movies but do a 6-12 boy really want to meet a princess? come on now.

LM and SB aren't that appealing to 6-12 boys IM young relatives' opinion they hate those movies. They do love Lion King, The Pixar films, Pinnochio (and the mattehorn at DL)

Enchantâmes

Sure they like the movies but do a 6-12 boy really want to meet a princess? come on now.

LM and SB aren't that appealing to 6-12 boys IM young relatives' opinion they hate those movies. They do love Lion King, The Pixar films, Pinnochio (and the mattehorn at DL)
Hmm they have princes that have some pretty epic encounters with nasty monstrous villains, and those battles make the Pixar/boy movie heros look tame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dDoyKnITE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8R-LAz36k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prh4w-N_XbE&feature=related

imagineer boy

Well like I said above, if you have rides based off of any princess movies it'll appeal to boys and girls simply because its a ride. But meet n greets are when the genders will sharply divide.

Enchantâmes

Opinion. LM's was pretty tame for my young relative. He did see Malificent as "cool" though.
Sure a giant crazy octopus woman controlling the oceans basically trying to kill everyone then getting stabbed in the stomach by a boat and then getting electrocuted and turning into octopus soup is tame. :rolleyes:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Tame or not, princes or princesses aside, FL has been around some time with their being few complaints that the attractions were skewed in one direction or another. The FLE, while certainly going for a certain demographic, will not take away one bit from the rest of Fantasyland.

Captain Chaos

No we shouldn't but they should make a ride available that will appeal to boys. Like what Mattehorn is in DL.

My cousins are 6-12 are they don't enjoy those rides. Is there something wrong them becuase they don't enjoy them? And I will do those other things but I think their should be a more male appealing adventure.

And disney is only appealing to one demographic with this FLE, GIRLS! And are they backrupt, no. And i doubt they ever will. Your last point makes no sense because they only appeal to one demo in FLE. And according to a lot of other arguements for this expansion the other lands are only for Boys. So they do only appeal to one demo in each land, I don't believe it but a lot of people do. So is Disney bankrupt?

The Studios really only appeals to Teens, are they bankrupt?

Universal appeals to teens: Universal has lost money... Six Flags appeals to teens/thrill ride seeker: bankrupt.. Disney appeals to EVERYONE: far from bankrupt.. See what happens when you cater to one demographic??? So, since Disney's theme parks can be enjoyed by ALL and not by one demographic, like Six Flags, my argument makes all the sense in the world.. You are taking one little area and making it seem like it is the entire park.. MK is designed to appeal to everyone... That is why it is the most visited park in the world...

FLE is NOT girl-centric... The ones saying that are the ones who want thrill rides, dark rides, things that appeal only to themselves... The princess merchandise may only appeal to girls, but this expansion will appeal to little boys as well.. Not every little boy is into sports, cars, trucks, monsters, adventure, just like not every little girl is into princesses, make up, dress up, dolls.... I still think plenty of little boys would enjoy coloring with Aurora and having Belle read them a story...

And even if this did favor little girls, who cares??? If you don't like it, stay away... Simple as that... Why does everyone feel everything has to be for them??? So ride Pirates, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain... That is what I do and golly gee i have a ton of fun without complaining how Disney isn't catering to me...

As your your cousins, who said anythng was wrong with them??? Stop putting words in people's mouths... Your cousins like what they like, that's great.... No one said anything was wrong with them.. However, I have a funny feeling you'd say something was wrong with them if they happened to want to see a Disney princess or two...

And that, Grizz, is where the problems lie... Parents, mostly fathers, who think something may be wrong with their little boy cause he wants to color with Aurora... Know what it is really called?? LETTING KIDS BE KIDS!!!

Captain Chaos

The Fantasyland rides have been my favorites since I was a little boy and continue to be to this day! :) I was never FORCED, I was the one wanting to go there!

In fact I'd be jumping for joy if we could get more rides in our Fantasyland, like the missing Disneyland classics such as Pinocchio, Alice, Toad, Casey Jr., Storybook Land, and Matterhorn. Something never been done before would blow me away as well, such as dark rides for Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, or Beauty and the Beast.

The Animated Classic films always were and always will be at the heart of what the word "Disney" means to me. Fantasyland has always been and will always be my favorite "land" because it's where the beloved characters, songs, and stories from these films come to life in the parks. It's the timeless land of enchantment for the young and the young at heart where storybook dreams come true! :)

PS. I'm over 30 and proud to say I haven't "outgrown" It's A Small World, and NEVER will! :)

Thank you!!!! I am a 36 year old male... I LOVE the Magic Kingdom... I couldn't wait for this expansion to take place, even though I won't be coloring will Aurora or listening to Belle... Those activities are designed for kids.. KIDS (not just little girls)... Funny thing is, Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie, so I am looking forward to that area the most.. I am also looking forward to the mermaid ride... Guess that means I am a 5 year old girl, according to some WDWMagic members... :lol:

The Magic Kingdom is designed to be enjoyed by people of all ages; kids, boys, girls, teens, and yes even adults...

Grizzly Hall 71

Universal appeals to teens: Universal has lost money... Six Flags appeals to teens/thrill ride seeker: bankrupt.. Disney appeals to EVERYONE: far from bankrupt.. See what happens when you cater to one demographic??? So, since Disney's theme parks can be enjoyed by ALL and not by one demographic, like Six Flags, my argument makes all the sense in the world.. You are taking one little area and making it seem like it is the entire park.. MK is designed to appeal to everyone... That is why it is the most visited park in the world...

FLE is NOT girl-centric... The ones saying that are the ones who want thrill rides, dark rides, things that appeal only to themselves... The princess merchandise may only appeal to girls, but this expansion will appeal to little boys as well.. Not every little boy is into sports, cars, trucks, monsters, adventure, just like not every little girl is into princesses, make up, dress up, dolls.... I still think plenty of little boys would enjoy coloring with Aurora and having Belle read them a story...

And even if this did favor little girls, who cares??? If you don't like it, stay away... Simple as that... Why does everyone feel everything has to be for them??? So ride Pirates, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain... That is what I do and golly gee i have a ton of fun without complaining how Disney isn't catering to me...

As your your cousins, who said anythng was wrong with them??? Stop putting words in people's mouths... Your cousins like what they like, that's great.... No one said anything was wrong with them.. However, I have a funny feeling you'd say something was wrong with them if they happened to want to see a Disney princess or two...

And that, Grizz, is where the problems lie... Parents, mostly fathers, who think something may be wrong with their little boy cause he wants to color with Aurora... Know what it is really called?? LETTING KIDS BE KIDS!!!

Walt knew that boys wouldn't enjoy FL. So the way he got them there was by the Mattehorn. So even Walt knew it was girl-centric. FL is has the most attractions in a single land in MK and people are missing it because they feel that their young son wouldn't enjoy riding in a hunny pot through a Pooh story.

But hey, that's my opinion. Disney's going to do what they wanna do at the end of the day anyway, so there's no reason to argue.

Grizzly Hall 71

Thank you!!!! I am a 36 year old male... I LOVE the Magic Kingdom... I couldn't wait for this expansion to take place, even though I won't be coloring will Aurora or listening to Belle... Those activities are designed for kids.. KIDS (not just little girls)... Funny thing is, Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie, so I am looking forward to that area the most.. I am also looking forward to the mermaid ride... Guess that means I am a 5 year old girl, according to some WDWMagic members... :lol:

The Magic Kingdom is designed to be enjoyed by people of all ages; kids, boys, girls, teens, and yes even adults...

More power to you :sohappy:.

Captain Chaos

Let's see... During my trips, I have witnessed boys that young online to meet Mulan, Snow White, Aurora, Minnie Mouse and other female-based characters... In fact, I have seen little boys excitedly handing the princesses their autograph book and yes, even hugging the character...

And again, who cares if a 6-12 year old boy doesn't want to go to the M&G, or hug a princess... They can go on a ton of other rides in Magic Kingdom... A section of Fantasyland that becomes the home of the princesses is really not a big deal...

Ohh and just cause your cousins hate those movies does not mean they speak for all 6-12 year old boys...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom