Al Lutz: Tom Staggs stepping back and reconsidering many aspects of FLE

Thrill

I am having mixed feelings about the reported cuts to the Fantasyland expansion. If the cuts mean that the money is going to be redirected to somewhere else that needs an expansion (meaning that I don't want to see anything done at Frontierland aside from basic maintenance at Country Bear Jamboree and Tom Sawyer Island, maybe Splash Mountain) then by all means, go ahead. Otherwise, leave the expansion almost as is, other than swapping Pixie Hollow for Neverland.

While I'm not personally too excited for the Fantasyland expansion, as it brings few things of interest to me, the increased capacity will surely help cut lines elsewhere in the park and I would love to see the existing Fantasyland rethemed to something like Disneyland's.

jt04

That is barely related to what I said to you. Yes I'm sure TDO, WDI, and WDC were aware ahead of time what the scope of the project was. It's one thing to read, hear, and talk about it. It's another to see it in person. It's also obvious that the odds of two parks overtaking four parks is highly improbable. However two parks can definitely cancel out two others for visitors. That's what scares Disney. If people who were going to or used to go to all four are now going to just two or three, that's a loss, no matter how you want to serve it.

Plus, could I just get an answer to the question I asked you? Have you been to the wizarding world since it was constructed? :shrug:

No.

Don't you act like you know me and my desire to achieve success.. Not from your couch anyway JT... I know what I want to do with my life... And I am making the sacrifices I need to achieve what I desire to achieve.. SO before casting just more of your utter nonsense, think before you type... You may actually make yourself a lot more credible around here instead of the leader of the Disney Fanboi Clique...

And by the way, I am not a former CM or current CM....

Armchair.

When you succeed I plan to be there and criticize whatever it is you are driving.

I'm no apologist for TDO. I just get tired of the unsubstantiated talking points that are constantly puked up around here over and over. It really comes off as an urban myth. Plus it is incredibly boring and does not mesh with all the infrastructure investment we are seeng. Someone is lying.

It is obvious that Iger is changing attitudes one division at a time. A lot of folks were let go a couple years ago. Perhaps the attitude you complain about went with them.

Let us recap, shall we?

We are told TS hated all the girlfication of the FLE and cut the princesses and phase 2.
We are told the FLE has been cut back because TDO is protecting annual bonuses.

Which is it?

Here is a quote from the nytimes. It is referring to a science forum but wow does it also apply here with some posters.....

"Under cover of intellectual rigor, the science bloggers — or many of the most visible ones, anyway — prosecute agendas so charged with bigotry that it doesn’t take a pun-happy French critic or a rapier-witted Cambridge atheist to call this whole ScienceBlogs enterprise what it is, or has become: class-war claptrap."

sponono88

I don't think Al Lutz hates WDW. I don't know if you guys are familiar with Al's old columns, but for years he completely trashed DL management (and still does occasionally, but it used to be worse), condemned DCA v1.0, and opposed the direction the resort was taking back then. I remember he used to put up pictures of broken effects and areas of DL that were in bad shape/poor maintenance.

Recently he has taken a different tone in his articles and seems more positive about the future of the resort. But it wasn't always that way, and it's important to know that before you think he loves everything about DL. Perhaps the grudge he currently holds against WDW is due to the management in Florida and the similarities he sees with the way DL was being run during the Pressler/Harriss era.

Captain Chaos

BTW, juan, how would you know what the plans are next week?? Are you involved in WDI? The construction? A manager??? Will these plans be the final greenlight plans??? And when will these plans be announced to the public as either enhancements, cuts, or replacements to FLE???

lightning509s

I don't think Al Lutz hates WDW. I don't know if you guys are familiar with Al's old columns, but for years he completely trashed DL management (and still does occasionally, but it used to be worse), condemned DCA v1.0, and opposed the direction the resort was taking back then. I remember he used to put up pictures of broken effects and areas of DL that were in bad shape/poor maintenance.

Recently he has taken a different tone in his articles and seems more positive about the future of the resort. But it wasn't always that way, and it's important to know that before you think he loves everything about DL. Perhaps the grudge he currently holds against WDW is due to the management in Florida and the similarities he sees with the way DL was being run during the Pressler/Harriss era.

Great points! I've also watched as AL changed his views towards DL. Started back when Matt Quimet started turning things around...That's what WDW needs. A Matt Quimet Clone to turn things around!

TP2000

Perhaps the grudge he (Lutz) currently holds against WDW is due to the management in Florida and the similarities he sees with the way DL was being run during the Pressler/Harriss era.

Or perhaps he's just pointing out the obvious, as he did so succesfully with Disneyland circa 1998-2003, and people are shooting the messenger? :lol:

It probably doesn't help that Lutz is a native SoCal guy and it instantly gets classified as a West Coast vs. East Coast thing. The people here who aren't Americans must think this is crazy, but there is a cultural issue here that would only be apparent to Americans.

parkgoer

I'm happy somebody voiced up their opinion/truth about this expansion. I'm surprised the FLE got this far already. I guess that's just me.

MiklCraw4d

Me neither. Is MiklCraw4d some sort of insider?

No. I just know people who work at Disney who tell me things they hear. It's not like I know the details of the secret plans and am just dribbling out hints - whenever something really big is going on and making waves, some people who hear about it will let me know. It's nothing impressive at all.

My track record on my blog has been as spotty as anyone else's; chasing rumors is like chasing a ghost sometimes. How many times have real projects been delayed or canceled? I just try to best present information from trusted sources when I can. But I'm not an 'insider'.

This whole story has lost credibility with the latest spin that Disney officials were stunned by seeing Potter in person. That just doesn't ring true.

Why? I haven't heard of anyone who's been there that wasn't impressed. Maybe they weren't even astounded by the lush theming - maybe they were astounded by the 8-hour line to get in, or the people queuing for hours just to get in a SHOP or to buy a beverage.

I'm not living inside their heads nor do I know their motives, but people at WDW tell me that things did, in fact, go into crazy mode after management attended WWoHP's debut.

SeaCastle

The spin is that TDO does not want big capital projects because they are protecting their bonuses. I personally think that is BS. However, if it is true and they are only acting out of self interest without consideration for the future of WDW, then I think it is possible the powers that be (Iger, Staggs etc) will "insist" on large new projects in increasing numbers.

But as I said, I think the TDO hating is almost entirely generated by low level disgruntled CM's (these types exist in every business) and disgruntled AC fans.

It's not just the big-budget project-cancellations that upset us. The declining maintenance that we've seen at WDW for the past several years (though it has taken a turn for the better) is inexcusable. There is no possible way you can spin that to make it look like it's not the fault of management. It's pure irresponsibility on TDO's part.

If you were having guests over at your house, would you let them see burnt-out lightbulbs, chipped paint, and rotted wood? Of course not! Likewise for WDW, when you're hosting tens of thousands of guests everyday, it's a shame to let these things be seen.

Captain Chaos

It's not just the big-budget project-cancellations that upset us. The declining maintenance that we've seen at WDW for the past several years (though it has taken a turn for the better) is inexcusable. There is no possible way you can spin that to make it look like it's not the fault of management. It's pure irresponsibility on TDO's part.

If you were having guests over at your house, would you let them see burnt-out lightbulbs, chipped paint, and rotted wood? Of course not! Likewise for WDW, when you're hosting tens of thousands of guests everyday, it's a shame to let these things be seen.

Letting maintenance go to hell is all part of TDO's master plan for the future of WDW, didn't you know that??? Just like letting Pleasure Island dissolve into a waste land.... They know what they are doing... Trust them... So what that there are empty building for the last 5 years... It's all part of the plan... Let them earn their millions and millions of bonus dollars at the expense of WDW... Once Iger wakes from his coma and realizes TDO is bad for WDW, he'll get around to taking care of that division... Just don't worry... It is a great plan... How do I know? JT told us... :lol:

DisneyParksFan1

Letting maintenance go to hell is all part of TDO's master plan for the future of WDW, didn't you know that??? Just like letting Pleasure Island dissolve into a waste land.... They know what they are doing... Trust them... So what that there are empty building for the last 5 years... It's all part of the plan... Let them earn their millions and millions of bonus dollars at the expense of WDW... Once Iger wakes from his coma and realizes TDO is bad for WDW, he'll get around to taking care of that division... Just don't worry... It is a great plan... How do I know? JT told us... :lol:

I'm thinking that will be when he's done with fixing Disneyland, but that just never seems to end. I mean I think it'll be once DCA Expansion finishes but there seems to be more! DL expansion, new parade, etc. I mean how much more can you fix DL than it is now? Lol. I mean if you compare WDW and DL you know which one needs more help.

Captain Chaos

I'm thinking that will be when he's done with fixing Disneyland, but that just never seems to end. I mean I think it'll be once DCA Expansion finishes but there seems to be more! DL expansion, new parade, etc. I mean how much more can you fix DL than it is now? Lol. I mean if you compare WDW and DL you know which one needs more help.

How do we know Iger isn't just satisfied with the bottom line in WDW??? How do we know Iger thinks they may be a problem with management there and needs to address it?? We don't. We can only assume, and well, assuming isn't good.. Cause, ya know what they say about assuming...

I won't pretend to know what Iger's plan is... While he has made changes of heads of other divisions, including Disney parks, the management team under Staggs stays in place... Maybe Staggs gets TDO hopping.. Maybe he lights the fire under their arses... However, he may look at their books and fall in love with the bottom line, thus allowing them to continue their cheap ways...

I guess we will find out what the near future holds... let's hope it is bright... But, as always, I won't hold my breath and I won't believe it until I see it... And even then, it may just be smoke and mirrors Disney magic :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom