Al Lutz: Tom Staggs stepping back and reconsidering many aspects of FLE

NX2I85

Yep, yep, yep.

I have a lot of faith in Staggs' reconsiderations. Several rumors are swirling around, and they're all good.

He isn't pulling the plug on FLE, folks. He's killing off the concentration on Princesses and Pixies. That's a good thing.

I agree. Of course I have no idea about rumors which may be afoot, but I sure hope some thing else is coming soon. I was not on board with the Fairy-Princess jamboree from Day One.

DisneyParksFan1

Well, details seem in short supply lately. All I hear is the general direction of things - the same trends that Hill and Lutz have reported, but with a different spin. The general consensus I hear is that A) Staggs wasn't happy with the plans due to princess saturation B) WDW Execs got invites to WWOHP premiere and were really freaked out afterward. War room discussions were held, plans put on hold for recalculation. There's the potential that the budget might actually be increased - increased enough for a few Fantasyland-grade dark rides.

Nothing specific, just possibilities. I don't know if they even know right now. But at least the reasons they're making these changes seem to be the right reasons.

Hopefully it becomes a reality.

DisneyNut2007

I think the execs need a good shot of this...
hitchhikers.gif

No, they don't! You and your fellow cynics do, but they don't! :mad:

DisneyNut2007

Maybe I'm viewing the whole issue more optimistically than is really healthy, but I'm actually really excited about FLE and whatever ends up in it. I've been looking forward more to the atmospheric elements of the expansion than the rides, anyway. While I was never thrilled with the whole M&G element since I'm, you know, a guy, I was really excited about the whole "Fantasyland Forest" concept, of walking into a fully realized, thematically complete new land, filled with great architecture and exciting little details. Yay for big new Omnimover ride, sure, but that's not what has me excited.

Regardless of what actually ends up at the site of the old lagoon, there WILL be something good, and the rest of the park WILL be better off for it. Pooh is finally getting a good themed queue, and IASW's queue is also getting a significant upgrade. Many other exteriors in the park are being, or will be, rehabbed. The fact that Liberty Tree Tavern and pretty much all of the Main Street facades are getting minor but important work done on them NOW is probably not coincidental.

Except for the part in bold (being a guy is no excuse to hate meet-and-greets), I totally agree.

It's just too bad that too many of the other members here continue to remain short-sighted and annoying everyone else with their selfish, conceited attitudes and armchair Imagineering. :(

jt04

Me neither. Is MiklCraw4d some sort of insider?
This is how it works; Lee or Leemac or others with real inside contacts writes something which probably has a germ of truth to it, Kevin Yee or Jim Hill picks it up, Screamscape runs with it along with lesser known blogs and then posters chime in here or at other forums, pose as insiders and claim "they heard" this or that. Meanwhile Disney wisely refuses to take the bait and reveal their plans.This whole story has lost credibility with the latest spin that Disney officials were stunned by seeing Potter in person. That just doesn't ring true. So I'm back to betting on the FLE as announced at D23.As for miklcraw4d, I haven't determined yet how reliable he is.

DisneyNut2007

I have to kindly disagree here. First off, Disneyland is and always has been the crown jewel and flagship Disney Parks destination. As the original, it will always get more attention even if it isn't justified since it doesn't see nearly the amount of people that WDW does. I also think that Eisner was showing a lot less concern for the parks in his later years. Maintenance was down, accidents were happening due to bad upkeep, and new attractions were not going through. I think the main issue here is that Iger seems to be interested in other areas of Disney's business other than the parks. Look at the amount of studio and merchandise related moves that have taken place since he took over. The acquisitions have been huge and Disney is using their new money making licensing abilities. I think that Iger just needs to remember about all aspects of the company and get his executives to work on it. I think that we really need to give Staggs a chance and see what he can do before we go crazy and say how everything is a disaster.

While I agree with you about Eisner, I very strongly disagree with you about Iger.

The parks have been seeing LOTS of attention over the last few years, especially after Eisner left.

Iger even brought creative types like John Lassetter into the company (via the Pixar acquisition--a VERY bold move that Eisner clearly didn't want to make), acknowledging that the creativity-driven divisions (parks, movies, animation, etc.) are indeed better off being managed by creativity-driven people.

Iger has NOT forgotten about the parks, people. He's been WAY better than Eisner in almost every imaginable way and even though there is still lots of work to be done, we should be thankful that the company is now actually able to look forward to better days ahead once again.

Besides, there are other issues in this world to be concerned with (the economy, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, etc.).

Let Disney continue to be a place to escape from the harsh realities of life in the ordinary world (even if only for a few hours).

lightning509s

I think it's a fair bet that Tom "is" putting the brakes on "princesstopia."

I'm also sure that there were many idea's for the FLE on the table before one was decided upon. Imagineering is famous for coming up with all sorts of ideas before a certain project is decided upon.

It's extremely likely that Tom, John and Robert are looking over other project ideas extensively to determine what can adequately replace the original FLE plan. I've spoken with imagineers, when they were available at DHS, and one thing I came away with is there are shelves upon shelves of ideas that never made the final cut.

All that needs to be done is to take some down, blow the dust off and see what will work best. To think that "princesstopia" was the only idea placed on the table is foolish.

In conclusion, I think we'll all be very surprised and pleased with whatever alternative is decided upon. One thing is for sure. TDO needs a huge management overhaul. I have great respect for Meg, but a career "human resources director" placed in charge of Disneys flagship property? I don't understand that at all. Sorry Meg...

DisneyParksFan1

I'm also sure that there were many idea's for the FLE on the table before one was decided upon. Imagineering is famous for coming up with all sorts of ideas before a certain project is decided upon.

It's extremely likely that Tom, John and Robert are looking over other project ideas extensively to determine what can adequately replace the original FLE plan. I've spoken with imagineers, when they were available at DHS, and one thing I came away with is there are shelves upon shelves of ideas that never made the final cut.

All that needs to be done is to take some down, blow the dust off and see what will work best. To think that "princesstopia" was the only idea placed on the table is foolish.

In conclusion, I think we'll all be very surprised and pleased with whatever alternative is decided upon. One thing is for sure. TDO needs a huge management overhaul. I have great respect for Meg, but a career "human resources director" placed in charge of Disneys flagship property? I don't understand that at all. Sorry Meg...

Very great post! I agree completely! Especially with the part about TDO management.

EDIT: I wonder if anyone actually knows what the alternatives are.

jt04

Well another aerial shot of the FLE could be determative. We used to have a poster that always used the first names of TDO executives to give themselves an aire of "insiderness". Ultimately though, being right is the only proof. Welcome BTW. :wave:

Oh, that poster posts elsewhere now.

Horizonsfan

This whole story has lost credibility with the latest spin that Disney officials were stunned by seeing Potter in person. That just doesn't ring true. So I'm back to betting on the FLE as announced at D23.As for miklcraw4d, I haven't determined yet how reliable he is.

I walked through the area just before FJ opened. Just walking through the area is impressive. I can easily believe that experiencing HPland when everything was operational would cause WDW to crap itself. Have you been there jt? (I'm not being confrontational I just would like to know.)

DisneyParksFan1

I walked through the area just before FJ opened. Just walking through the area is impressive. I can easily believe that experiencing HPland when everything was operational would cause WDW to crap itself. Have you been there jt? (I'm not being confrontational I just would like to know.)

I agree.

Jim Hill was featured on the WDW Fan Boys Podcast a few weeks ago and he said that some of his contacts were really uhmm... what's the right word... Really expressive about the whole HP being successful at least I think it was about HP. I remember Jim saying that the person said: "They have 3 rides!?!? We'll get 3 rides!?!?! They have this, then we'll get this!!!" etc etc.

Captain Chaos

I haven't been there yet, but I can say I sat here and said WOW when I looked at pictures and video of Wizarding World... So, I can believe WDW executives being impressed by the area..

DisneyParksFan1

I haven't been there yet, but I can say I sat here and said WOW when I looked at pictures and video of Wizarding World... So, I can believe WDW executives being impressed by the area..

And honestly, I'm sure that Fantasyland Forest will be better as far as aesthetics go, but I bet when they saw all the technology and all the attractions over at Harry Potter, they immediately carried out war-room discussions as MiklCraw4d mentioned. And you know what? I'm glad. That's exactly what TDO needs, a little competition to put them back in their place. :zipit:

:lookaroun

Hopefully DL gets more attendance same goes for Universal and IOA, that way, they will start bringing out quality.

Captain Chaos

I agree.

Jim Hill was featured on the WDW Fan Boys Podcast a few weeks ago and he said that some of his contacts were really uhmm... what's the right word... Really expressive about the whole HP being successful at least I think it was about HP. I remember Jim saying that the person said: "They have 3 rides!?!? We'll get 3 rides!?!?! They have this, then we'll get this!!!" etc etc.

TDO had a meeting and came to the conclusion that Forbidden Journey was a fantastic ride and that Universal created one heck on an immersive land... So, to show Universal Disney means business, they fight for budget cuts in the FLE expansion, raise ticket prices, fast track restaurants that will add to the bottom line and increase their bonus payments, approve raggedy merchandise, allow the yeti to continue the disco dancing... They decided, in place of the princesses cottages and Pixie Hollow, they will add DVC and pin carts... And continue to laugh all the way to the bank cashing their bonus checks while suckers pay $85.00 a day to enjoy EVEN LESS ENTERTAINMENT THAN LAST YEAR!!

So yea... that will show Universal!!!

jt04

OK, I guess it is time to address this.

Imagineering worked with what's her name as they originally were developing the project. Then Disney took away the Uni imagineer who knew the plans. Disney has always known what the project involved. Potter helps Disney more than hurts it. Potter will draw tourists but let's be honest, Potter only has a limited through-put and both Uni parks can be accomplished in 2 days. So, where will all those tourists go after Uni? Or, more likely, those tourists will also plan a trip to Disney while in central Florida. I suspect Disney secretly loves this new add. Meanwhile, WDW keeps slowly (too slowly) moving forward. I believe WDW is more endangered by not growing faster than by any threat by Universal. Just my opinion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
OK, I guess it is time to address this.

Imagineering worked with what's her name as they originally were developing the project. Then Disney took away the Uni imagineer who knew the plans. Disney has always known what the project involved. Potter helps Disney more than hurts it. Potter will draw tourists but let's be honest, Potter only has a limited through-put and both Uni parks can be accomplished in 2 days. So, where will all those tourists go after Uni? Or, more likely, those tourists will also plan a trip to Disney while in central Florida. I suspect Disney secretly loves this new add. Meanwhile, WDW keeps slowly (too slowly) moving forward. I believe WDW is more endangered by not growing faster that by any threat by Universal. Just my opinion.

As much as this pains me....

Right. WDW has the resorts, the restaurants, and the greater number of rides and attractions to continue making them the #1 destination spot. While I'm certain there is concern over the technology and detail of WWoHP, they also realize that more people will come to their parks and use Universal as a side trip than the other way around. There very well may be a reconsideration as to how the FLE will proceed, but let's also bear in mind this article is light on fact and heavy on speculation from a source less-than-amenable to WDW......

DisneyParksFan1

TDO had a meeting and came to the conclusion that Forbidden Journey was a fantastic ride and that Universal created one heck on an immersive land... So, to show Universal Disney means business, they fight for budget cuts in the FLE expansion, raise ticket prices, fast track restaurants that will add to the bottom line and increase their bonus payments, approve raggedy merchandise, allow the yeti to continue the disco dancing... They decided, in place of the princesses cottages and Pixie Hollow, they will add DVC and pin carts... And continue to laugh all the way to the bank cashing their bonus checks while suckers pay $85.00 a day to enjoy EVEN LESS ENTERTAINMENT THAN LAST YEAR!!

So yea... that will show Universal!!!

Oh yeah that'll show them who's the far more superior cousin in the family!

It's truly a shame that TDO has to be so cheap

.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XsQg3JoMZ0

jt04

And honestly, I'm sure that Fantasyland Forest will be better as far as aesthetics go, but I bet when they saw all the technology and all the attractions over at Harry Potter, they immediately carried out war-room discussions as MiklCraw4d mentioned. And you know what? I'm glad. That's exactly what TDO needs, a little competition to put them back in their place. :zipit:

:lookaroun

Hopefully DL gets more attendance same goes for Universal and IOA, that way, they will start bringing out quality.

I'll keep saying it because I'm convinced it is true, large capital projects are out of TDO's hands. They are being developed in Glendale. If it is true that TDO is balking (which I doubt) my guess is they will end up with an even bigger project(s) . Heh Heh :drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom