Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

Goofyernmost

So then it's a choice you make... It's not that it's impossible. I, personally, would INSTANTLY trade two trips to WDW for one to DL.

If you chose to miss out on broadening your horizons and keep the horse blinders on, that's fine... That's the choice you make. But to jump on someone for suggesting it makes no sense.

There's MUCH more to experience there that's different from DL than just Carsland. Certainly you're not that blind to Anaheim?? And yes, there are different versions of many rides on each coast... Which I love. Every ride you just mentioned is different in DL than at WDW. There are a couple true "clones", but that's it.

You ask why it's bad to clone rides. The answer is simple. Every ride that gets cloned means one less unique experience somewhere in a Disney Park.

EDIT TO ADD: I'll never understand why Disney thinks it's a good idea to cannibalize their own customer base by duplicating attractions on different coasts. It makes absolutely zero sense to me. I get that when you clone a ride, you save on design and production costs... But that's like not seeing the forest through the trees. Dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
I didn't jump on anyone for presenting the thought. What I was upset about, if you can even call it that, is the idea that someone cannot see that not everyone is in a position to do that trip. It's kind of insensitive to suggest that it's just a simple matter of going someplace different. Talk about blinders.

It has nothing to do with not expanding my horizon. In my lifetime I have been all over the world, or at least all the places that have interested me. Some, like sunny south east Asia, I went to because they told me I had to go. I have been to Disneyland. I was there during the 50th anniversary. What no one seems to understand is that not sharing those "special" attractions in at least some way, deprives thousands and thousands of people from ever experiencing something unique to DISNEY...it's not about the area of land it is located in. The difference between DLR and WDW is so extreme to begin with that a few rides that are the same or almost the same will not have any real influence in whether or not someone from the West side should visit WDW. It is unique in itself. However, there really isn't that much impressive, (except for it being Walts original) that draws someone from the East to the West. Those that can, do! Those that can't have to settle for WDW. People that have been to both can have a whole thread to just compare and argue over which one is better. If you live on the East Coast it's WDW. West Coast will be DLR, of course.

As for trading two trips to WDW for one to DL, well, I wouldn't. I have been to both and I appreciate the differences between them, but dollar for dollar considering what DLR has to offer in the line of things to do over a long period of time (more than three days), it doesn't make for a good investment in my mind.

awoogala

-
Agree. I was also in town around this same time, and a couple of days i also took note of the crowd levels seeming being a bit larger then usual for January. Even some CMs i was talking to commented on it, wondering what was going on.

I suspect it also has more to do with the marketing, and less to do with people actually being drawn in by FLE. Crowd level in that area were actually very reasonable, and not as full as i assumed it would be for a brand new area in the Park. Even BOG had a very short line of people waiting for the doors to open for lunch...
same here. we there week after marathon. cm's were as shocked as we were at the higher crowds. (lots of tour groups, too!)

cba

Sorry, I hate to compare this to Harry Potter because it's been done so many times before...but WDW doesn't "get it."

Harry Potter opens up and it has completely put IoA/UniOrlando on the map...
If you really think about it...
1. One groundbreaking new attraction.
2. Retheming of the land.
3. Retheming of a major attraction.
4. Retheming of a children's coaster.
5. Retheming of restaurants and shops.

Now...Fantasyland...to DATE (Excluding 7DMT)
1. One cloned attraction
2. One new restaurant
3. Retheming of a land where kid's could visit the homes of their favorite characters to a circus.
4. Retheming of a children's coaster.
5. Loss of attraction (Snow White)

What is the MAJOR difference if you break it down?
We have a GROUNDBREAKING NEW ATTRACTION! (Yes, Anything with Harry Potter slapped on it would open eyes...but if there is no substance, the name only means so much)

So...because Fantasyland didn't reach expectations...we're going to do a cloned land which isn't even the "full land."
Will that get people to rush to WDW if they've already been to DL? On the flipside...most visit WDW...so will they bother going to DL if they can experience this great land at WDW?

That's why people are pushing Star Wars Land. It's new...it's wanted...it could be groundbreaking...it could put the Studios on the map and bring in people in droves!
Star Wars land would be a HUGE addition to DHS if it ever comes. I think it would be awesome and something everyone would like to see. It's better than just one Star Wars-themed ride, and it would be a land to evenly compare with WWOHP. Well, if WDI gets it right, at least.

HoosierWDWFan

Star Wars land would be spectacular. I think it may be time to retire Indiana Jones...do a live action Star Wars stunt show...put in some more in depth areas to get completely immersed in the area. Get rid of that whole side of the park if necessary. That would still leave room for Carsland where the backlot tour is currently residing.

korkor87

Hi everyone!

I am a first time poster to the forum, and very excited to get in on the conversation!

This discussion inspired a few thoughts. I agree that FLE is not a crowd bringer, especially with Universal cranking out HP and DL with carsland. FLE is great, but overall underwhelming. Saying that, I agree with those who say we need an expanded pixar place at DHS, that may include a copy of RSR, as well as 2-3 other ORIGINAL attractions.

Side note, and just humor me here on this scenario. So it seems that disney may be trying to let the Avatar idea sizzle out. I think Pandora would be cool, but not for Disney. Saying that, let's say that Cameron and the Avatar theme park team take their idea down the road to say....Islands of Adventure. Not only could this land fit much better with the overall theme and style of Universal Parks, but this also could be the push Univeral would need to rid IOA of Marvel characters. If this were to happen, this could be the perfect opportunity for WDW to expand to a 5th park that includes Star Wars, Marvel and Indiana Jones themed attractions and lands. Then Star wars and Indiana Jones could be removed from DHS and allow for the entire back half of DHS to be re-done into a master piece of epic proportions. Now, the idea of Avatar taking its business elsewhere really is not that off-the-wall because, articles have surfaced about both the idea and problems with Universal acquiring the rights to build a Lord of the Rings area within IOA. So Universal is definitely in the market for a new franchise to bring to life.

I am all for Disney expanding into new stories and worlds of other movies and books, but not within the current parks and themeing. Should Disney decide to expand upon Star Wars as opposed to Avatar, I think a 5th park adding the Marvel Universe, is the way to go.

Sorry so lengthy, but again this is my first post. Thoughts anyone?

novawildcat18

Hi everyone!

I am a first time poster to the forum, and very excited to get in on the conversation!

This discussion inspired a few thoughts. I agree that FLE is not a crowd bringer, especially with Universal cranking out HP and DL with carsland. FLE is great, but overall underwhelming. Saying that, I agree with those who say we need an expanded pixar place at DHS, that may include a copy of RSR, as well as 2-3 other ORIGINAL attractions.

Side note, and just humor me here on this scenario. So it seems that disney may be trying to let the Avatar idea sizzle out. I think Pandora would be cool, but not for Disney. Saying that, let's say that Cameron and the Avatar theme park team take their idea down the road to say....Islands of Adventure. Not only could this land fit much better with the overall theme and style of Universal Parks, but this also could be the push Univeral would need to rid IOA of Marvel characters. If this were to happen, this could be the perfect opportunity for WDW to expand to a 5th park that includes Star Wars, Marvel and Indiana Jones themed attractions and lands. Then Star wars and Indiana Jones could be removed from DHS and allow for the entire back half of DHS to be re-done into a master piece of epic proportions. Now, the idea of Avatar taking its business elsewhere really is not that off-the-wall because, articles have surfaced about both the idea and problems with Universal acquiring the rights to build a Lord of the Rings area within IOA. So Universal is definitely in the market for a new franchise to bring to life.

I am all for Disney expanding into new stories and worlds of other movies and books, but not within the current parks and themeing. Should Disney decide to expand upon Star Wars as opposed to Avatar, I think a 5th park adding the Marvel Universe, is the way to go.

I think Pandora fits in really well with Islands of Adventure. It also does fit in well with Animal Kingdom's theme of appreciating and conserving the environment, but it's not a Disney entity, which is my main problem with it.

I think a Star Wars land is the only thing at WDW that could compete with WWoHP.

ParentsOf4

That's entirely untrue. New Fantasyland lacks an E-Ticket, but to call it a waste of space isn't close to accurate.
I understand your sentiment. However, MK alone has a dozen attractions that are better than JotLM. JotLM is not even the best attraction in Fantasyland. (I am looking forward to SDMT.) BOG is a perfectly serviceable restaurant but not something my family has any plans to visit again in the foreseeable future. Everything else, well, is forgettable. All things considered, let me suggest that, given its prime location, there probably were about 100 better things they could have done with that space. Therefore, in defense of @Adam5897, it really is a waste of some incredibly valuable space.

ParentsOf4

Hi everyone!

Welcome to wdwmagic.com with your first post!

P.S. And if you think your first post is long, please go back and read some of mine.;)

Alien

Avatar might not even happen yet and construction hasn't started at all so it won't be opening anytime soon if it even happens.
Prep for avatar land is well under way though
clearing the site(slow process) and designs and concepts are pretty developed by now... once Camp Minnie Mickey is empty itll only be a few years before Avatar land opens

Disneyhead'71

There's a few other reasons why WWOHP is doing better than FLE

WWOHP brought lots of NEW people to Uni/IOA who have never had a major reason to visit before, and I don't just mean normal WDW visitors but visitors to Orlando in general.

FLE didn't increase attendance by people booking an EXTRA trip to WDW or deciding to book a trip when they haven't been before.

WWOHP didn't have a HUGE construction zone in the front of the entire land that isn't completed yet, the way FLE does.

MK is the second most well-established park in the world and #1 in Global attendance...TDO needs to focus on the OTHER struggling parks, not adding to the #1 park (but fixing up the exsting attractions)
I don't think people aren't planning trips to see the New Fantasyland because there is a huge construction zone in the front. I believe that the content just isn't compelling. But I do think they could have marketed it better if the 7DMT did open with the rest of it. At least there would be a fun-ish looking ride in the commercials. Seriously, what's missing from this commercial?

Ummm...Rides?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
clearing the site(slow process) and designs and concepts are pretty developed by now... once Camp Minnie Mickey is empty itll only be a few years before Avatar land opens

Exactly what clearing of the site is going on? I have not heard anyone else report this.

ParentsOf4

Nah, they are only clearing that space for Ewok Village.:D

Disneyhead'71

Ummm, They just filed for permits to add FastPass+ to The Festival Of The Lion King Arena. It's not going anywhere for a while.

And I don't believe there has been any land prep done at all for Pandora.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Festival of the lion king is moving eventually to Africa and the meet and greets are being shipped out across the park

There are plans to move FOTLK but not active work is taking place. Aerial photos of the area from late December show no work being done in the area. Not saying it's not going to happen, but there doesn't appear to be any actual work going on yet except for the new M&G.

orky8

Seriously? It's only a slow process because Disney is in no hurry. The site is and has been 95% ready for years. The extra 5% would take a couple weeks if Disney actually wanted clear it -- but they don't. So many people today are claiming things to be a slow process because it is taking Disney a long time to do it. Universal is going to be able to green-light and build Transformers before Disney can even clear a site. Wake up.

Alien

Seriously? It's only a slow process because Disney is in no hurry. The site is and has been 95% ready for years. The extra 5% would take a couple weeks if Disney actually wanted clear it -- but they don't. So many people today are claiming things to be a slow process because it is taking Disney a long time to do it. Universal is going to be able to green-light and build Transformers before Disney can even clear a site. Wake up.
oh I know it wont take long, its just always a slow process with Disney, like you said

Adam5897

That's entirely untrue. New Fantasyland lacks an E-Ticket, but to call it a waste of space isn't close to accurate.
Does this wording work better?- The large amount of land in magic kingdom's most popular land was not used to its potential or draw the crowds in. Because that is what I mean when I say it is a waste of space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom