Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

Alien

They haven't started yet. They haven't even nailed down a plan yet and it's been 18 months.
well weather u want it to happen or not (I don't) I think Disney will really kick it into high gear depending how the new avatar movies play out in the box office

orky8

oh I know it wont take long, its just always a slow process with Disney, like you said
I see what you are saying, but I disagree. WDW just hit a single with FLE, which they thought was a home run. They are skittish now, and Avatarland did not get announced to thunderous applause but more like a thud and obligatory golf clap. At this point, I think its hard to say with any authority that Avatar is coming. I wouldn't even believe it if Iger himself said it at this point. Oh, wait...

Adam5897

I don't think people aren't planning trips to see the New Fantasyland because there is a huge construction zone in the front. I believe that the content just isn't compelling. But I do think they could have marketed it better if the 7DMT did open with the rest of it. At least there would be a fun-ish looking ride in the commercials. Seriously, what's missing from this commercial?

Ummm...Rides?

I find it really amusing how Cinderella castle covers the mine ride :D

Alien

I see what you are saying, but I disagree. WDW just hit a single with FLE, which they thought was a home run. They are skittish now, and Avatarland did not get announced to thunderous applause but more like a thud and obligatory golf clap. At this point, I think its hard to say with any authority that Avatar is coming. I wouldn't even believe it if Iger himself said it at this point. Oh, wait...
Iger, at least to me, seems less trust worthy than Eisner

I loved Eisner

Tony Perkis

Universal, right now, is smarter than Disney. Which, to me, means:

-They don't have interest in Avatarland
-They have no logical reason up give up the Marvel rights, especially consider the recent (outstanding) renovation of Spider-Man
-Avatar isn't a game changer for theme parks. It does not have an adamant fan base, its legacy is diminishing as the years go by, and nobody can name 3 characters in the film

Disneyhead'71

well weather u want it to happen or not (I don't) I think Disney will really kick it into high gear depending how the new avatar movies play out in the box office
Avatar 2 won't hit the theaters until 2015. They don't even have a script done yet. They are hoping to start shooting by the end of 2013.

I actually would like to see what the Imagineers could do with Pandora. Not so sure about being in Animal Kingdom. But at this point I would just like to see them build something big. In any of the parks. I just think that Avatar isn't going to happen.

orky8

Universal, right now, is smarter than Disney. Which, to me, means:

-They don't have interest in Avatarland
-They have no logical reason up give up the Marvel rights, especially consider the recent (outstanding) renovation of Spider-Man
-Avatar isn't a game changer for theme parks. It does not have an adamant fan base, its legacy is diminishing as the years go by, and nobody can name 3 characters a single character in the film

Fixed that for you.

doctornick

You're describing maybe 5% of Disney Parks guests. The fact is, 95% of people who visit WDW will only ever visit WDW. They don't need to be distinct from a business perspective because almost nobody visits both.

Yeah. I went out to DLR this year, partially to visit a different part and partially because of Cars Land opening. I can tell you that the typical reaction I got among the people I know about it was "why are you going all the way out to California instead of Florida?" They didn't see the point. And even mentioning Cars Land, the response was typically "When is that coming to Florida?". Not if, "when". People who go to WDW expect it to have most/all of the Disney headliners because going to California isn't even something they are remotely considering.

For the record, I live in the Northeast, not exactly right next to Orlando. Still, for 99.8% of the people here, "going to Disney" means going to WDW and that's it. The idea that cloning rides in general (or RSR in particular) is going to substantially cannibalize people from another Disney resort is IMHO completely laughable.

novawildcat18

Everyone's talking like Avatarland would not be a phenomenal theme park environment. I think it completely lends itself to a theme park experience, just not in Disney. I think some amazing attractions could come from it. It doesn't necessarily matter if you can't name any characters. If FLE is a "single", I can see Avatarland being a "double", still not the "home run" they're looking for.

prfctlyximprct

I'm excited for Carsland! Count me as one of those East Coasters who never wants to go to the West Coast purley for Disneyland.. Maybe if I plan a trip out there already and stop by.. :(

Tony Perkis

Jake! I believe there was a guy named Jake. And isn't there a guy named Sully? Oh and Sigourney Weaver. Wait, that is the actress' name. Her character's name was......ummm.....Grace (No, I didn't google it :rolleyes:).
I think the only reason I know that character's name is because all the characters say it enough throughout the film. It's 3 hours of Chris Trager from Parks and Recreation, except not funny or interesting.

bubbles1812

Prep for avatar land is well under way though
clearing the site(slow process) and designs and concepts are pretty developed by now... once Camp Minnie Mickey is empty itll only be a few years before Avatar land opens
No offense but as someone said...if they really wanted to do Avatar, the land is already fairly prepped... So at this point it's not a matter of Disney's "slow process" but that TDO/Burbank has not green lit it. Per insiders it may even be fizzling...again. Sayinh it's just a few years away from appearing is decidedly false. If it actually gets green lit its probably 2018 at the earliest. Especially if Carsland actually gets green lot. Also, there are many examples where Disney got to the point they are at with Avatar only to have them not get built. Having plans or yes even land prep isn't a guarantee. Not saying it won't happen but I think some of your assumptions are wrong.

Also the talk of Festoval of the Lion King are much more rumor than fact at this point. If it does move, it won't be for quite a long time.

orky8

Jake! I believe there was a guy named Jake. And isn't there a guy named Sully? Oh and Sigourney Weaver. Wait, that is the actress' name. Her character's name was......ummm.....Grace (No, I didn't google it :rolleyes:).

Impressive. You almost did it. I had to look it up, but the main character is Jake Sully. So, you got three names, but only two characters.

michaelnyc

lets face it, the fantasy land expansion is a bust
huge wasted opportunity
poorly planned, poorly executed
themed towards the toddler age group
double dumbo ride with a huge waiting area waste of space
meet and greet with yet again the fab 5 instead of the black and white vintage characters (pete,steamboat willie, etc)
belle's house is a big yawn event for toddlers only
little mermaid ride for toddlers and very boring - just an updated snow white's scary adventure
nothing at all done in the FLE to make me say YES, the place to go again and again

why no villain themed adult roller coaster? why no villain anything?

prfctlyximprct

Do you fly to WDW?

I do, but the flight is around 2 hours. And I can plan my whole week vacation there, just in the Disney-Orlando bubble. To fly cross country would be about 6 hours, and I don't know if I could spend a whole week at Disneyland.. I understand California has a lot to do apart from Disney, but to visit anywhere else I'd have to rent a car which I can't do quite yet and I'd have stay at more than one hotel. I'm sure one day I will get out there, but I don't have the desire too just yet.

Californian Elitist

I'm excited for Carsland! Count me as one of those East Coasters who never wants to go to the West Coast purley for Disneyland.. Maybe if I plan a trip out there already and stop by.. :(

You're missing out. Not only on Disneyland but a plethora of other things to do in the state of California. I could create a list of things to do that would last you more than a month in CA. Oh well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom