Al Lutz: Carsland for WDW, FLE not Bringing in Guests

WDW1974

That's something the lawyers can fight over. I hope Disney has good lawyers who can deny Uni's claim for the rights of those particular characters.

In any case, this has to be renegotiated. If I was a Disney executive, I would go obsessive compulsive over this. I would stop at nothing and be agressive to get a new deal. I would ask the legal department to find things of Universal's interest the company could hold as ransom if they refuse to negotiate a new deal. I would purposely buy rights to things that Universal wants, dependent of, needs, or is of interest in just for leverage in negotiating with them. I would explore bartering options, joint ventures, and even granting certain Disney rights to them, depending on their negotiable flexibility!

OK ... I was just about to rip you over this post, but then I realized thet maybe you were just using sarcasm (something I love to utilize) and I was missing. ... So, please, tell me that you were just kidding.

drew81

I have only spent time at the Hilton, but it is a very high caliber 4-star property and one of the nicest in O-Town.

It has the one thing that Disney's deluxes aim for, but don't come close to achieving anymore: class.

Spirit,
Have you ever stayed at the Buena Vista Palace across from DTD? I stayed there a year ago and thought it was as nice or nicer than any of the deluxes.

WDW1974

I do not think I have seen anybody give a really definitive answer to the question if Universal Studios Japan or Madam Tussauds London have any sort of geographic exclusivity which would impact Tokyo Disney Resort or Disneyland Paris.

Disney has full rights to use all of its Marvel properties at DLP.

Disney has the rights to almost all of its Marvel properties in Japan with a few notable exceptions (mostly Spidey and the characters from his UNIverse that are represented in the Osaka park), but the OLC is not interested, so it's sort of a moot point.

WDW1974

Would that certain Disney Parks blogger be Crazy Gary Buchanan (You can make a sequel to the Reluctant Dragon and call it: "Crazy Gary and the Not So Reluctant Dragon)? I hear he lives in his mother's basement and plays Dungeons and Dragons 24/7 when he ain't bloggin on the Parks Blog. On a serious note Mr.Spirit, I mentioned in the Disney Imagineering Dragon thread that the Dragon they used for the Grand opening in NFL would be incorporated into the possible rumored nightime show in Avatarland. IF Avatarland happens, would we expect to see this Dragon turned banshee involved with this show? I know you don't want to talk about Avatarland but I just want an idea of the credibility here. So back to Carsland, if Luigi's gets canned, what possible ride could you see replace it? Is it even possible they do nothing and just go with MJJ & RSR as the only attractions in that land/expansion? I'd like to here your thoughts pretty please.

Let's not be too harsh on Crazy Gary. I would guess he has a thankless job these days ... it isn't easy to spin when you aren't dealing with bloggers.

Dragon will never be seen again IMHO whether Avatar gets built (it won't) or not.

Luigi's has never been part of any plan for FL and likely would never be replicated anywhere. It was a John Lasseter vanity project that just didn't do anymore than the Flying Saucers did in the 1960s. There will not be a replacement attraction for it as far as I know.

the.dreamfinder

Luigi's has never been part of any plan for FL and likely would never be replicated anywhere. It was a John Lasseter vanity project that just didn't do anymore than the Flying Saucers did in the 1960s. There will not be a replacement attraction for it as far as I know.
Too bad JL's vanity project couldn't have been Imagination 4.0 or WRE for HKDL.

WDW1974

Ok, I'll rephrase.. I've never seen a trip report on this forum or micechat where people fawned over sinbad and made it a point to ride multiple times. This thread is the first time I've seen anyone gaga for it. People don't say it's ugly or bad - it just has little appeal to people.

I don't read trip reports as habit. But all I can tell you is everyone I know who has been to TDS thinks Sinbad is a gem and one of their faves.

Look at what the true 'must haves' at TDS are
Indy - (but same as DLR)
Journey - (as I said previously.. if you trade RSR for journey)
ToT - improved version compared to DCA, but at the core the same
TSMM - DCA...
I'll throw 20k in there too - that's really the only one without a near comparison

Indy, while similar, is not the same as DL any more than ToT is.... And I don't feel TSMM (which wasn't open yet when I was there) is a must have anywhere.

At it's core.. Disney Sea is visually stunning, but not that powerful attraction-wise. It's about the placemaking, the visuals, the attention to detail, and the shows that make it such a unique experience. Attractions?? not so much. 20k, and improved ToT (for the preshow), and a horse trade on Journey.. and what else do you have that makes TDS standout attraction wise?

Compare to DCA.. where you also get
Soarin..
Screamin..
Grizzy River Run..

A case could be made that most of DCA's supporting cast of attractions is better too.. if nothing else, much larger list of attractions. I mean come on.. what's the latest additions to TDS attraction wise? Turtle Talk (a forced squeeze in the steam liner), flying carpets spinner, and TSMM. Not exactly awe inspiring stuff. ToT being the last real impact attraction.. and that was a clone.. but at least they improved it.

Is DCA = TDS? No.. I'm not saying that. But attraction wise.. it is a B-player...

Unless you're gonna tell me you spend the majority of your vacation in Mermaid lagoon ;)

No, but the Mermaid show is an E-Ticket experience and unique to that park ... much like the MAGIC Lamp Theater's 3D film is top notch (although not of Mermaid's caliber). And live shows and entertainment are a huge part of the TDS experience.

Look, I'm a DCA fan. I even enjoyed DCA 1.0. And I love DCA 2.0. But I would never place the experience of the the parks on the same level. And I don't want a repeat of my old days on LaughingPlace.com arguing with Lee 'Need the last word' MacDonald about his assertion that DCA 1.0 was better than TDS.

I am not at all happy with TT or TSMM being added to TDS, but I will say they did an incredible job of putting them in.

WDW1974

Spirit,
Have you ever stayed at the Buena Vista Palace across from DTD? I stayed there a year ago and thought it was as nice or nicer than any of the deluxes.

Not in years, but starting around 2000-2005, I regularly would get the place using Priceline.com ... I think the lowest I paid was about $33 a night. The hotel was wonderful when I stayed there ... it was a Wyndham at the time ... now the old Dutch Inn/Grosvenor is and there's the Bonnet Creek properties under Wyndham's umbrella.

doctornick

There may be a gray area with some characters but I don't think Ironman is one of them. It's hard to deny that Hulk, Captain America and Ironman are part of the Avengers family and Universal is clearly making significant use of Hulk and Captain America.

Absolutely agree. But there are certainly characters that are only tentatively associated with a "family" that would fall under the agreement. It's a vague enough definition IMHO that Disney could try to push the limit with certain characters if they wished. I don't think Disney bother because there's not really anyone prominent enough to fight for, but I don't think it's as simple as "Disney can't use any Marvel characters".

PhotoDave219

I have only spent time at the Hilton, but it is a very high caliber 4-star property and one of the nicest in O-Town.

It has the one thing that Disney's deluxes aim for, but don't come close to achieving anymore: class.

Ive been at the Hilton in Destin since Sunday. Fantastic resort.

Also, they have a ridiculous steakhouse on the level of V&As.

Sure beats any Disney resort Ive been at.

PeterAlt

I do not think I have seen anybody give a really definitive answer to the question if Universal Studios Japan or Madam Tussauds London have any sort of geographic exclusivity which would impact Tokyo Disney Resort or Disneyland Paris.

It is not something lawyers can fight over. It is written in the contract plain as day. Your proposal of just buying stuff is about as silly as your idea of Disney getting Comcast to go along with spinning off their respective theme park units and merging them into a single joint venture.
I wasn't serious about the Comcast bit, by the way. It might sound silly, but business is war. Read up on someone by the name of Jack Tramiel (died very recently, by the way). He used that philosophy and waged war with calculators and the first round of home computer wars. He is credited for getting the price of a calculator from a price in the tens of thousands of dollars to what they are now through his aggressive way of doing business. There's a lot of legendary stories about ingenious and aggressive business moves he made in order to get ahead of the competition. He founded Commodore Business Machines after escaping a concentration camp in Germany and moving to the US with no money. He would later leave Commodore and buy Atari. After saving Atari from near bankruptcy, he retired and gave one of his sons the CEO job. The son, Sam, was not aggressive like his father was and gambled the company's future with very risky moves. One move he made ended up cost the company dearly.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
WOW do we disagree.

I thought it was every bit as good as Pooh.

If literally HUNDREDS of small AA's each with unique and smooth movement doesn't impress you, what the heck DOES????

I was impressed by the original concept and by the quantity of the AAs and the motion of them (although not the artistry, as the half-cartoon/half realistic mix didn't do it for me). I went twice because the stuff i liked made me want to give it another spin. But the ride just wasn't all that fun. Thus, I said good, but not amazing. Had I not been at least somewhat impressed, I'd have said "not good".

And in that very park, I liked Stormrider, Tower of Terror, 20K, Indiana Jones, and the Little Mermaid show better (JttCotE was down).

PeterAlt

The contract specifically mentions Avengers as an example of a family of characters so the lawyers would have a hard time with that one. There is also nothing in the contract about re-negotiation. The contract was written when Marvel was in really bad financial shape so it is strongly in Universal's favor. There is very little reason for Universal to consent to a re-negotiation. As for buying other things just to get leverage against Universal, it really isn't worth doing. They would have to dump a ton of money to buy those properties, then probably dump a ton more to buy or change the contract and then dump even more money to actually build the attractions. There is just not enough to gain in doing that.
You have good points. They have no reason or incentive to renegotiate. Again, if I were a Disney executive, I would be almost obsessive and compulsive in finding one. With all of the company's holdings, there must be something that could be waived at them like a carrot, or a business they are already being a partner of that they could excercise something to make them take notice.

The deal I would try to force them to renegotiate would be fair. I would let them continue with their rights, but I would try to freeze the status quo and add a loop hole to allow Disney to rightfully use the rights of a company they own (Marvel) any where on this planet, the moon, Mars, future space colonies, etc.

PeterAlt

Of course Disney is happy, they're making money without having to do any actual work, much less work in their expensive, slow to return theme park side business in Florida. Universal should be more than happy because they have a set of characters that are now more popular than anybody would have anticipated back in 1994 at a price that is likely very reasonable (exact numbers are censored from the contract posted by the SEC) as well as quite predictable.
You're a Disney executive. The year is 2017 and you're thrilled the new Iron Man ride at DCA is pulling in the crowds and more popular than CL (if that's even possible). The year before you were also happy to see the CL clone at DHS also pulling in the crowds. Thank The Lord for the clone at DHS because that park was getting in some serious deep water with attendance figures before you opened it! Now, however, the MK is in big trouble attendance wise and needs a quick shot in the arm! Behold, you have Iron Man which you could now one there for a guaranteed fix! But wait! You can't! Universal will sue! Not fair... They cloned Harry Potter (we're still in the future) and that drove the crowds at their Hollywood studio AND they're cloning that über popular Transformers ride they opened in Orlando in 2014 for Hollywood which is sure also pull the Hollywood crowds... BUT we can't do the same thing they are doing with Transformers for Hollywood as we could do with Iron Man for WDW...

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be in that CEO's shoes! The company should first make a friendly offer for its right to use its own rights. If they refuse to talk, then all out corporate war should be waged "Jack Tramiel style".

PeterAlt

re: Marvel in Uni.; Disney really has to play nice with Uni and more specifically Comcast simply because of the fact that Comcast is the single largest distributor of Disney's TV Network Operations (e.g., ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, ABC Family, Disney Channel and Disney XD). Considering that ESPN is TWDC's cash cow, there is no way that they would rock the boat for a theme park attraction in one of their 5 and soon to me 6 worldwide resorts.
Oh... A small detail that went over my head. Can't play hardball with Comcast without an Ace Card up Disney's sleeve. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is any, but anything in the atic besides that glow-in-the-dark bride with that loud beating heart?

TP2000

They cloned Harry Potter (we're still in the future) and that drove the crowds at their Hollywood studio AND they're cloning that über popular Transformers ride they opened in Orlando in 2014 for Hollywood which is sure also pull the Hollywood crowds... BUT we can't do the same thing they are doing with Transformers for Hollywood as we could do with Iron Man for WDW...

Valid point on the cloning and Marvel conundrum. But Transformers in Orlando is already a clone of the original Transformers ride that opened at Universal Studios Hollywood last summer. It opened to good reviews in Hollywood about two weeks before Cars Land opened, and then it got lost in the stampede to Radiator Springs Racers. Cars Land squashed the ability for Universal Hollywood to make a big splash with Transformers, although it continues to operate daily now in Hollywood and is a pretty darn good ride.

Transformers The Ride 3-D, May 24th 2012
TransformersTheRideMain.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom