Airport to boot Disney greeters

MGMBoy

Anyone wanna place bets that the cab drivers are all gonna start wearing Mickey Gloves and saying they're part of Magical Express?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
An airport would be a huge expenditure, in the billions of dollars, and completely not worth it. All Disney has to do is give out maps to the busses and its problem solved.

brich

MGMBoy said:
Anyone wanna place bets that the cab drivers are all gonna start wearing Mickey Gloves and saying they're part of Magical Express?
Careful...Universal may be listening..... :lookaroun
Can you imagine. You follow a white gloved person onto what appears to be a DME bus. They pull away and then suddenly, they rip down all the Disney stuff only to find.... YOU'VE BEEN KIDNAPPED BY UNIVERSAL!!!! :eek:
NOOOOOOOOOO :lol:

wannab@dis

Thrawn said:
An airport would be a huge expenditure, in the billions of dollars, and completely not worth it. All Disney has to do is give out maps to the busses and its problem solved.

Very True!

Can you imagine what would happen if a Mickey Mouse jet crashed in route to a Disney park? I believe that no airport or airline will be in Disney's future.

brich

goonsquads57 said:
I don't know about anyone else, but i can hear the PA announcement now..."Welcome, one and all, to Walt Disney World International Airport...."

If I'm not mistaken, an airport was in Walt's original plans for Disney World anyway.

Stay tuned, I guess.
I suspect expanding the monorail to the airport would be more cost effective than justifying a new airport... :lookaroun
I'm sorry.... :cry:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thrawn said:
Very true, but buying 47 square miles of swamp land in central Florida back in the early 60's was a risky venture as well. I honestly don't think it would ever happen but who knows, if the bean counters say an airport and an airline is an economically viable business there would really be no reason not to do it.

KevinPage

Disney exists, people will complain and file lawsuits simply because they are the big fish in the pond. Nothing will change that.

Even though the suit has no merit, what does the livery association have to lose? ZERO. They either get what they want or keep dealing with their situation of no longer being able to glom off Disney.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it livery association. :drevil: :drevil:

wannab@dis

KevinPage said:
Disney exists, people will complain and file lawsuits simply because they are the big fish in the pond. Nothing will change that.

Even though the suit has no merit, what does the livery association have to lose? ZERO. They either get what they want or keep dealing with their situation of no longer being able to glom off Disney.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it livery association. :drevil: :drevil:

Where does it say that a lawsuit has been filed? :veryconfu

I agree, it would have no merit, but I don't think they have filed a suit at this time. Just whining. :lol:

MKCustodial

PigletIsMyCat said:
Could you imagine a Disney Airport? Or even more crazy, a Disney Airline!?!?!.....(imagine appropriate music for a dream sequence here.....)

Finding Nemo?!? :brick:

And you forgot the whole Customs process. I suppose, given the current mood, Jafar and Captain Hook would be fitting choices to handle that. :lol:

wannab@dis

MKCustodial said:
Finding Nemo?!? :brick:

And you forgot the whole Customs process. I suppose, given the current mood, Jafar and Captain Hook would be fitting choices to handle that. :lol:

What customs? :lookaroun

:p

NewfieGirl

PigletIsMyCat said:
(greedily fingers her DME luggage tags thinking screw those people, I'm riding to WDW for free!!)

20.gif

PigletIsMyCat

Er, customs. Well, I have never travelled internationally, so here goes....

Upon arrival at DisneyWorld International Airport, our international guests' luggage will be pulled from the aircraft and deposited in our state of the art Customs Checkpoint, where Jafar and Captain Hook will rifle through your belongings and ask you what you are declaring in a menacing way. Roz from Monsters Inc. will verify all your documents and stamp your passport with a special DisneyWorld stamp. Welcome to America! Our domestic customers will proceed directly to the main check-in area, where there is NO baggage claim, you check in immediately at the Resort Counter, where you are given your Key to the World and also given the option to board a clean, air conditioned bus to your resort (bypassing check in there) for a shower or nap, or checking your carry-ons here (to be transported directly to your resort room with your luggage) and proceeding directly to one of the parks on the new DisneyExpress Monorail, which connects DisneyWorld Internation Airport with all four parks.

Please, enjoy your magical stay!

Eh? Eh? Can you hear the muttering of the TSA in the background? Can you see the cast of 'The Emperor's New Groove' picking up trash?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Master Yoda said:
Very true, but buying 47 square miles of swamp land in central Florida back in the early 60's was a risky venture as well. I honestly don't think it would ever happen but who knows, if the bean counters say an airport and an airline is an economically viable business there would really be no reason not to do it.

There is no way it is economically viable. Say, for instance, it cost $1 billion dollars to build. Operating costs, for the sake of ease, are $100 million per year. MK draws about 16 million guest per year, so lets say 20 million total to WDW. Not all of those fly, but lets say half do. 10 million, per year. In order to break even, Disney would have to make $10 per guest, just to break even on the operating costs. So say they make $15 per guest. In order to cover the initial investment, it would take 6.66 years to cover the initial investment, and another 4 to catch up on the operating costs. So 10 years before you even see a cent of profit. However, the costs for building would be higher, there would be less than 10 million people flying in each year, and they would make less than $15 per person. You'd be talking in the 20 year range before they turned a profit on it, if they ever did at all.

Granted, then you have these guests captive to spend money, but being Disney is a public company, they would have to have something this big be voted on by shareholders, and there is no way that the big investment groups would vote for it.

MKCustodial

PigletIsMyCat said:
Er, customs. Well, I have never travelled internationally, so here goes....

Upon arrival at DisneyWorld International Airport, our international guests' luggage will be pulled from the aircraft and deposited in our state of the art Customs Checkpoint, where Jafar and Captain Hook will rifle through your belongings and ask you what you are declaring in a menacing way. Roz from Monsters Inc. will verify all your documents and stamp your passport with a special DisneyWorld stamp. Welcome to America! Our domestic customers will proceed directly to the main check-in area, where there is NO baggage claim, you check in immediately at the Resort Counter, where you are given your Key to the World and also given the option to board a clean, air conditioned bus to your resort (bypassing check in there) for a shower or nap, or checking your carry-ons here (to be transported directly to your resort room with your luggage) and proceeding directly to one of the parks on the new DisneyExpress Monorail, which connects DisneyWorld Internation Airport with all four parks.

Please, enjoy your magical stay!

Eh? Eh? Can you hear the muttering of the TSA in the background? Can you see the cast of 'The Emperor's New Groove' picking up trash?

Nice... But why couldn't the cast of Black Cauldron handle the trash? The Cauldron serves as a trashcan! ENG is cool... :p

Scooter

Frankly, this whole "FREE MAGICAL EXPRESS" thing makes me nervous. :lookaroun

Since when does Disney do ANYTHING for free for very long?

I think it's all about the almighty $$$'s

When Disney drives all or most of the Limo and other bus services out of business, and the number of taxi's dwindle to a small number because of Disneys "Free" services, I think "FREE" Disney buses will be gone and Disney will charge a hefty fee to bus their guests to their respective resorts.

I was told as a child...if it's seems too good to be true..it probably is.

PigletIsMyCat

MKCustodial said:
Nice... But why couldn't the cast of Black Cauldron handle the trash? The Cauldron serves as a trashcan! ENG is cool... :p
Don't get me wrong, I like ENG too, but I was just trying to think of a cast that would have funny costumes... My next choice would have been the cast of 101 Dalmations... imagine, hundreds of people dressed in black and white like wittle puppy doggies picking up your trash.... family fun at it's best.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Scooter said:
Frankly, this whole "FREE MAGICAL EXPRESS" thing makes me nervous. :lookaroun

Since when does Disney do ANYTHING for free for very long?

I think it's all about the almighty $$$'s

When Disney drives all or most of the Limo and other bus services out of business, and the number of taxi's dwindle to a small number because of Disneys "Free" services, I think "FREE" Disney buses will be gone and Disney will charge a hefty fee to bus their guests to their respective resorts.

I was told as a child...if it's seems too good to be true..it probably is.
Disney has already stated that DME was only going to be free during the 18 month pilot program and after that there would be a charge for the service. But like EMH if Disney finds a way for this free service to give them a return on their investment because more people are not renting cars and traveling off site to eat and shop then I suspect DME will remain free.

MKCustodial

Maybe all those people complaining about DME fear exactly that. If Disney starts charging for it, not as many people may use the service. I mean, the way I plan my trip, I always book an off-site hotel to do all the Orlando stuffprior to moving to WDW. DME is an extra incentive to scratch that plan and revise it accordingly, as long as it's free, of course. :D

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm surprised that the livery association hasn't lowered the price of its services. Tiffany (as an example - I'm not singling them out) is still charging $95 plus gratuity for a round trip. At those rates, it doesn't take Miss Cleo to predict whether customers are going to choose Disney's free option.

Aquafina makes a living selling bottled water to people who already have unlimited supplies, because Aquafina does so in an inexpensive, convenient form. Apple's managing to sell millions of MP3s at $0.99 each, even when free alternatives are widely available. Competing with free isn't easy, but it isn't impossible, either.

If $95 is the absolute rock-bottom price that can be charged for a towncar service, then all the legal wrangling in the world only delays the inevitable. But if there's any flexibility in that pricing, I'm surprised it hasn't showed up already. I'd think "some money" is always better than "no money," especially with the fixed costs involved.

Len
(Who's renting a car for his next trip)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom