Airport to boot Disney greeters

wannab@dis

yodasmith said:
don't many hotels have a free shuttle service to and from the air port?

You know... I asked that in the last thread and was told that hotels in Orlando (away from airport) do not offer a shuttle service. Blows my mind. Guess they are worried they'll get sued by the dead beat livery companies. :rolleyes:

phlydude

As far as DME - if you book a package through the Walt Disney Travel Co., they do tell you about DME. You have to sign up to be guaranteed luggage tags and things like that so your bags get pulled behind the scenes if your airline is a participant in the program. If you are unsure or aren't flying one of the airline, they tell you to meet the greeter at the airport and they will shuttle you to your hotel after you fill out tags and register.

I for one thought about it...if I can save $150 off the rental car cost by doing this it would be worth it. But then I got to thinking...they want you waiting for a bus way too early on your departure day and we would be stuck on property and relying on family members to pick us up when we want to visit.

I'll spring for the rental car. I like parking in the lot and not worrying about crowding into a bus at the beginning and end of the day. I like being able to buy some stuff at DTD and not fear the bags on the bus. I like going off-site to get a bite to eat or seeing other stores off property. I like being in control of my luggage and not relying on others to treat my bags as I would.

It is great for those who want nothing but Disney and don't want to spring the $$$ for a rental. For me, I like going off-site then and again and checking out the area outside of WDW.

As for Orlando being made by Disney...pretty much is the case. Marietta-Martin (now Lockheed-Martin) was there prior to Disney and this brought in jobs but Disney made the town a tourism place. It was a "sleepy cross-roads" area when Disney spotted the area with swamp land galore. Disney developed the swamp and brought in the tourists. With the tourists come more jobs.

Just remember what OIA was before. It's still known as MCO for McCoy airfield. A military airbase. Sanford was Orlando's original public use airport.

peter11435

phlydude said:
\
Just remember what OIA was before. It's still known as MCO for McCoy airfield. A military airbase. Sanford was Orlando's original public use airport.

Yep, and now its the biggest airport (by passengers) in the state.

WDWScottieBoy

Why doesn't this same group go after Mr. Rosen as well. He was the first person in the Orlando area to adopt the "we pick up your luggage and take it to your room before you get there" concept, and there was never anything said about that. He doesn't charge (as far as I'm aware) for the service, and that is taking away the use of other livery services, so maybe they should just jump on everyone that does anything there.

Really, grow up people and if you're that concerned, lower your prices or something else to get the business instead of doing what you're doing now.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
You know... I asked that in the last thread and was told that hotels in Orlando (away from airport) do not offer a shuttle service. Blows my mind. Guess they are worried they'll get sued by the dead beat livery companies. :rolleyes:

The ones that do are generally the ones near the airport, or farther out than that, the shuttle is reserved exclusively for airline crew members spending overnighting in Orlando. There still are exceptions to this rule however.

wannabeBelle

DisneyDellsDude said:
So is Disney still doing the free bus service transportation?
Absolutely This service will be for free for at least 18 months from May of 2005. After that no one knows what the price for this will be. Belle

mkt

Premium Member
DisneyDellsDude said:
So is Disney still doing the free bus service transportation?

yes... you just don't have any people on the 3rd floor of the terminal guiding you to the busses, and they pick up at the livery area.... where all other local resort and hotel shuttles pick up.

mkt

Premium Member
Magic Maker said:
To the other businesses and OIA:
DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU.

working in the Orlando meeting and convention industry, I believe this is the hand the feeds OIA at the present time.

Jekyll

My point is this. They are disney's guests and disney is saving them money. People just want to milk people for all they have. Of course disney would rather them save 100 dollars ride back and forth from the airport and spend it in the parks and frankly so would I.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wannabeBelle said:
Absolutely This service will be for free for at least 18 months from May of 2005. After that no one knows what the price for this will be. Belle

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it will be free still. I'd bet the extra income from having guests as on-site captives outweighs the cost of DME, especially once they got it up and running.

Jekyll

Thrawn said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it will be free still. I'd bet the extra income from having guests as on-site captives outweighs the cost of DME, especially once they got it up and running.

Tharwn, as usual you hit the nail on the head. Disney's modo "Spend money with us and no one else! If your are going to spend your money with someone else we will make the same service free!"

mkt

Premium Member
lewisc said:
Yes but without Disney would Orlando be a convention destination?

In Orlando's present state, I could see it happening. The majority of conventioneers spend $0 at WDW unless the convention is renting out space on Disney property, but that hasn't been happening as much as it used to.

mkt

Premium Member
mousermerf said:
Gotta love a company which feels competition is not only unhealthy but also unattractive, unworthy, and about to be undone

care to clarify?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
mkt said:
In Orlando's present state, I could see it happening. The majority of conventioneers spend $0 at WDW unless the convention is renting out space on Disney property, but that hasn't been happening as much as it used to.

But Orlando would have never come to its "present state" without WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom