Airport to boot Disney greeters

Shaman

righttrack said:
Lets not forget that Orlando is a huge convention stop as well. There is plenty of business in addition to WDW for these people to attract.

Very true...but the fact is at the end of the day...all that is Orlando resulted from the first steps Disney took by building WDW. :D

Besides I'm sure not all those heading to the Disney resorts will use this service...

I still don't understand why they're whining....

PigletIsMyCat

lentesta said:
I'd think "some money" is always better than "no money," especially with the fixed costs involved.

Too true. I'd rather make a little money selling my crap at a yard sale than no money. Which is why I sold everything at my yard sale last weekend WAAAY lower than I stickered it :hammer: but I bet there were a bunch of idiots, I mean people, somewhere who would have payed full sticker price for it. Which is probably what these livery drivers are banking on. Which is a bad idea.

wannabeBelle

Master Yoda said:
Disney has already stated that DME was only going to be free during the 18 month pilot program and after that there would be a charge for the service. But like EMH if Disney finds a way for this free service to give them a return on their investment because more people are not renting cars and traveling off site to eat and shop then I suspect DME will remain free.
Well said Master Yoda, I couldnt agree more. Disney's intent from the beginning is to get more people onsite and to have them onsite spending every last vacation dollar at Disney, not those other parks. I dont think this is a cold blooded calculated move to put the livery industry out of business. I think it is a great business move for Disney. Belle

goonsquads57

wannab@dis said:
Very True!

Can you imagine what would happen if a Mickey Mouse jet crashed in route to a Disney park? I believe that no airport or airline will be in Disney's future.

It couldn't be a "Mickey" jet. It would HAVE to be a "Dumbo" jet!!!!!!!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wannabeBelle said:
Well said Master Yoda, I couldnt agree more. Disney's intent from the beginning is to get more people onsite and to have them onsite spending every last vacation dollar at Disney, not those other parks. I dont think this is a cold blooded calculated move to put the livery industry out of business. I think it is a great business move for Disney. Belle

Problem is, the great move for Disney isn't good for those livery services. And thats why we're here.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Two observations -
1) I don't believe that Disney was poaching - if a guest wasn't booked, then they couldn't use the service - right ??
2) If the greeters are moved then the other vehicle businesses can only target those travellers not already booked on 1)
The real dispute is that Disney has hit on an untapped service which is affecting the business of others - moving the greeters will not stop them complaining

CTXRover

In the world of being a fair corporate neighbor, I agree that Disney shouldn't have special access on the 3rd floor of the airport, even if it was part of the contract they signed with OIA and thereby were not breaking any rules set forth by OIA. I agree that it was unfair and it was certainly the right thing to do in booting them off that level.

However, I don't think Disney should be forced to with-hold the service from guests who didn't sign up first. The Magical Express program is part of the whole package of staying at a WDW resort. It should be offered to all guests, no matter when they show interest.

Its ironic that the limo and taxi companies are complaining that Disney is taking away their business when its becoming painfully obvious that Disney is solely responsible for providing most of their business to begin with. Beyond being a good corporate neighbor, there is no reason why Disney should have to bow to their crying.

wdwishes2005

jcraycraft said:
Looks like the taixs/drivers are going to win this round. I wonder if this goes for the DCL greeters too? I think they are at that same location???

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-express2205sep22,0,1135085.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Airport to boot Disney greeters
Taxis, other drivers said deal was unfair

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted September 22, 2005

Disney's Magical Express, the free service that shuttles Disney tourists and their baggage to and from Orlando International Airport, will no longer be able to lure in travelers with greeters on the airport's third level.

The employees, who wear oversized Mickey Mouse gloves, meet passengers as they enter the main airport terminal. Their location has been a source of friction for taxi, luxury car and rental-car services, which say Disney's exclusive access to the third level has significantly cut into their businesses.

"We don't let anybody else have greeters there," said airport board Chairman Jeffry Fuqua. "Everybody needs to have a fair opportunity and equal playing field."

The change came about Wednesday after the airport's attorney sent a letter to Disney's attorney informing him that the greeters need to be removed by Oct. 31. The letter also clarified that Walt Disney World guests who had not pre-arranged a ride on Magical Express would not be able to access the service once they arrived at the airport.

Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre said Disney plans to discuss the changes with airport officials, but he would not comment on when the greeters would be moved or what effect that might have on the service.

"We evaluate and adjust our operations on an ongoing basis," DiPietre said.

Since Disney began Magical Express as a pilot project in May, other providers of transportation at the airport have cried foul, saying the service and Disney's special access have dramatically hurt their businesses.

Disney has said about 5,000 people ride Magical Express every day -- a number far above what the airport expected when it agreed to the 18-month trial run last year.

"The response is considerably greater than we anticipated," Fuqua said.

Earlier this month an attorney for the Greater Orlando Livery Association, a group of about 200 bus, van and luxury-car drivers, sent a letter to OIA Executive Director Bill Jennings demanding that the airport terminate Disney's contract for the program.

Larry Colleton, the attorney for the association, said Disney's greeters were soliciting passengers who had not already signed up for Magical Express, which is against the airport's solicitation rules.

Jennings had not responded to Colleton's letter and did not alert him about the changes for greeters.

"It's kind of like too little, too late," Colleton said. "We still stand by our position that this contract should be terminated. How is Disney being held accountable for its material breach of the contract?"

Disney has said it never violated any terms of its agreement with the airport.

Airport officials said they want to schedule a series of meetings with Disney over the next 60 days to lay out a framework for how Magical Express and any similar services that might be offered by other companies in the future will operate.

Of major concern is whether the pilot program is causing the airport to lose money because its other concessionaires may no longer pay as much in airport fees. Disney has spent $21 million on the program since May, about $2 million of that going to the airport through fees or improvements, according to documents from a private presentation Disney made to airport officials last month.

Fuqua said one option might be to require Magical Express to operate out of both the A and B sides of the terminal like most concessionaires such as rental-car companies and other shuttle services.

Currently Magical Express only operates out of the A terminal, and a change would significantly decrease the program's efficiency and result in an estimated increase of $15 million a year in Disney's operating costs, according to documents prepared by the company.

But Fuqua said other providers of transportation are required to operate on both sides of the airport despite the increased expenses and decreased efficiency.

"It costs more money for Hertz and the others to operate that way," Fuqua said. "We can't set our airport up to operate to Disney's pleasure."

wow!

really, blame disney when you cant friggin adapt.

Connor002

Ahhh...

Maybe it's just me, but I just had one of thoes is-it-really-that-big-of-a-deal moments. :brick:

I realy don't think they should/can do that. I mean, think about it: Disney owns the parks and resorts, they can do what they want. In a way, it's the taxis' fault for relying on Disney for all of their buisness. Why shouldn't disney be able to have greaters? Disney can do what they want, and the taxis should just have to deal with it. Sorry if I sound insensitive to the taxi companies, but that's just my opinion.

I THink WDW should close their borders to all mass transportation that is not affiliated with the WD company claiming it to be a security risk. This will realy iritate those taxi drivers. and then they should open their own airport in which they hove their own airline which will be offered through disneys packages! hey maybe extend the monorail and stuff and completely cut the middle men out of the picture! how wonderful do u think a Disney Airline would be!!! to travel with mickey and not have to deal with the airport, or the taxi drivers! no one would ever go to Universal studios if disney flew u, entertained u, and housed u for one low price!!!

Connor002

Laufschneller65 said:
I THink WDW should close their borders to all mass transportation that is not affiliated with the WD company claiming it to be a security risk. This will realy iritate those taxi drivers. and then they should open their own airport in which they hove their own airline which will be offered through disneys packages! hey maybe extend the monorail and stuff and completely cut the middle men out of the picture! how wonderful do u think a Disney Airline would be!!! to travel with mickey and not have to deal with the airport, or the taxi drivers! no one would ever go to Universal studios if disney flew u, entertained u, and housed u for one low price!!!

the main problem I see with that is:
for one low price!!

:brick:

imagineer boy

This is really a shame. Disney is doing nothing wrong. Gosh, since Pirates of the Caribean brought alot of box office attention from other movies, might as well fire Jerry Braucheimer. You can't take buisness from other movies like that. :rolleyes: *SARCASM*

AEfx

lentesta said:
I'm surprised that the livery association hasn't lowered the price of its services.

This was my exact thought also.

I'm using a car service on my next trip instead of DME (which I have used several times and enjoy) for various reasons, and have done a great deal of research on the local major car companies. None of them seem to have lowered their prices, or done anything to compete - all I hear is complaining and whining.

I don't think it's unreasonable for there to not be greeters upstairs, but I totally question the whole "if you haven't previously booked DME you can't get it" - to begin with I don't understand how the airport can dictate that, and second that just turns the supposed "unfairness" around so it's against Disney and not the local companies.

Silly, silly, silly - all of it, IMHO. The car companies have done nothing to enhance their service or make it more appealing, they just pulled the "it's not fair!" card and started complaining. Talk about biting the mouse that feeds you...

AEfx

gbrooks135

I hate to say this but it is not just at OIA. I used to drive a taxi here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=Myrtle Beach</ST1:p</st1:City> and the company I drove for started to do a limo service for one of the resorts here. And the other taxies company's started to rise holly hell about it.<O:p</O:p

The way we did ours was the hotel would call us and give us the peoples name and flight and we would have to go into short term parking (witch we had to pay a fee for) and go inside to meet the people. And because we would go inside the other companies would say we were soliciting. This was for just one hotel that would cost about a $20 cab ride and we only charged $10.00 and there are at least 200 or so hotels in Myrtle Beach <ST1:p</ST1:p. So the other cab companies tied to get us booted out of the airport to where we had to stand outside we could not even talk to any one or hold up a sign with there name on unless they cam up to us. So this is not just at Disney it seams to be at all airports.<O:p</O:p

lscott933

well don't disney cruise line have people on the third level when you arrive there to show you the way to the busses when you arrive. what is the different. you have to paid for that one. why isn't they complaining about that one.

jcraycraft

Original Poster
lscott933 said:
well don't disney cruise line have people on the third level when you arrive there to show you the way to the busses when you arrive. what is the different. you have to paid for that one. why isn't they complaining about that one.

That has puzzled me too. They have been doing this since the late 90s, with the limo services competing for business. Maybe the volume passengers for the cruise line its big enough to worry about???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom