Airport to boot Disney greeters

brich

MKCustodial said:
Yeah, we know Orlando became what it is today because of WDW. What I meant to say is that I don't think it's fair to use that statement as an argument for every single debate there is involving the rest of the town. Using a regional example, it's like this soccer team down here. When the team is going through a bad period, every discussion about it ends with "Yeah, but we're 5 times State Champions and your team isn't". Did that make sense? Yeah, the town grew because of DIsney, but a lot of stuff happened afterwards, and eventually a lot more people other than Disney got involved, so I just don't think it's fair to keep throwing that around. :)
I understand your soccer team example but I'm not sure it's the same thing here. Orlando continues to thrive because WDW established the region and continues to draw the masses. Do you honestly think there are a significant number of toursists traveling here just for Sea World or Universal or the crappy little gift shops? Or do you think the majority of visitors to Orlando (not business travelers, but that's a different discussion) are coming with Disney in mind? To the best of my knowledge, and of course I could be wrong, WDW is the destination in Orlando and all the others are additional perks of the region. If I'm wrong, I wonder why Universal only has 2 resorts, Sea World none and Dolly Parton's new place is right on the main highway? So I guess you can tell I disagree on this and I do think it's fair to keep throwing this around... :lol:

brich

PigletIsMyCat said:
I don't think that the greeters should be able to solicit new riders at the airprot. Only people with the existing reservations should be able to use DME. But, I can't see that is even a problem anyway, even though that seems to be what the taxi/livery people are saying. The whole point of DME is to make a reservation and tag your bags BEFOREHAND, so how could Disney be soliciting people anyway? :veryconfu

(greedily fingers her DME luggage tags thinking screw those people, I'm riding to WDW for free!!)
And despite Disney claiming the service is free, isn't it considered part of your resort stay package? So to me, the greeters are the equivelent of someone meeting me at the airport and giving me my room key before I can get to the lobby of the hotel right there at MCO... :veryconfu
Agree, how is this soliciting... :confused:

PigletIsMyCat

wannab@dis said:
Even by the livery's own admission, the DME greeters were not soliciting any riders. But they did answer questions and would direct people to where they could get whatever they needed to board the bus. The only thing, is those people had to get their own luggage.

I find it hard to beleive that the number of people that DME added last minute onto the bus has that kind of impact. I mean, how many people plan a trip to Disney, stay at a Disney resort, fly all the way to Orlando, and don't have transportation to their hotel worked out well before hand? My guess is not many.

MKCustodial

brich said:
I understand your soccer team example but I'm not sure it's the same thing here. Orlando continues to thrive because WDW established the region and continues to draw the masses. Do you honestly think there are a significant number of toursists traveling here just for Sea World or Universal or the crappy little gift shops? Or do you think the majority of visitors to Orlando (not business travelers, but that's a different discussion) are coming with Disney in mind? To the best of my knowledge, and of course I could be wrong, WDW is the destination in Orlando and all the others are additional perks of the region. If I'm wrong, I wonder why Universal only has 2 resorts, Sea World none and Dolly Parton's new place is right on the main highway? So I guess you can tell I disagree on this and I do think it's fair to keep throwing this around... :lol:

Well, I honestly can't say. As I mentioned before, the regular Brazilian tourist would never go to Florida just for WDW. The vast majority tries to fit in all the Orlando attractions, plus Busch Gardens and a 2-day trip shopping in Miami.

But sure, we can't all have the same opinion, right? Otherwise, it would be a boring discussion forum! :lol: :wave:

wannab@dis

MKCustodial said:
Well, I honestly can't say. As I mentioned before, the regular Brazilian tourist would never go to Florida just for WDW. The vast majority tries to fit in all the Orlando attractions, plus Busch Gardens and a 2-day trip shopping in Miami.

But sure, we can't all have the same opinion, right? Otherwise, it would be a boring discussion forum! :lol: :wave:

But those tourists would never have come to FL in the first place if it wasn't for WDW being there.

wannab@dis

PigletIsMyCat said:
I find it hard to beleive that the number of people that DME added last minute onto the bus has that kind of impact. I mean, how many people plan a trip to Disney, stay at a Disney resort, fly all the way to Orlando, and don't have transportation to their hotel worked out well before hand? My guess is not many.

I bet it's less than that! :lol:

Mystic

jcraycraft said:
I think people with still use the FREE DME over other forms of paid transportation... expect for the people who want/need a rental car.

I'm planning a trip down next year and I won't be using DME and I'm nto one of the people that want/need a rental car. We used Florida Towncar Services on our last trip after using Mears on the previous trips and found we much prefer to arrive in the comfort of a towncar to that of being squished on a bus and making multiple stops. DME may be free but we'll stick to the paid convenience of a towncar

righttrack

Lets not forget that Orlando is a huge convention stop as well. There is plenty of business in addition to WDW for these people to attract.

DisneyMissy

Now how am I suppose to know where in the heck I am going when I get off the plane. This is so stupid in my opinion. This will not keep me from using the FREE service.

brich

righttrack said:
Lets not forget that Orlando is a huge convention stop as well. There is plenty of business in addition to WDW for these people to attract.
Oh you mean the livery people?
Well, I still don't see how Disney greeters are effecting the convention crowd, unless they are staying at a Disney Resort, in which case, they are entitled to DME... :D
Unless of course your talking about taxi space outside the airport, in which I can't argue that they don't deserve their space. Limos are just there to pick up pre arrainged reservations. :)

beagle 1

Disney Express is a great service that is offered by Disney and will be ruined by MCO. They had this bus service when I did the Disney Cruise twice and I never saw them solicit people. I told the greeters who I was and they told me to wait for the other passengers. All these people did was wave with the big Mickey hands. Since in I leave in 24 days, I am little concerned about where my wife and I are to go if things change at the last minute. Thankfully, this is my 5th time in that airport and I have some sense of direction in MCO.

Here might be a solution for the bus, van and luxury-car drivers: set up their own Disney Express for a rate equal to or comparable to what Disney offers and meet people on the third floor along with the Disney Greeters.

Oh by way, if one of the bus, van and luxury-car drivers threatens and speaks derogatory to me because I choose this service, I will inform MCO of this practice.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think OIA really needs to take a step back. If it wasn't for Disney Orlando we be just another Ye Haw junction (check your maps it is there) They mentioned that 5000 people a day were using the service well thats 5000 people that flew into their airport that would not have if it was not for Disney. I would love to see Disney open their own airport, start their own airline and leave OIA squealing from the feeling.

righttrack

brich said:
Oh you mean the livery people?
Well, I still don't see how Disney greeters are effecting the convention crowd, unless they are staying at a Disney Resort, in which case, they are entitled to DME... :D

It doesn't. The point is that lots of MCOs traffic is due to convention crowds that are not destined to WDW. There is plenty of business for livery and cabs to exist upon. Given that, Orlando is a driving destination. I don't know many people who travel to Orlando on business or pleasure that do not rent a car. I still say the longer term effect will be a slowdown in the rental car business in 2-3 year timeframe.

wannab@dis

righttrack said:
It doesn't. The point is that lots of MCOs traffic is due to convention crowds that are not destined to WDW. There is plenty of business for livery and cabs to exist upon. Given that, Orlando is a driving destination. I don't know many people who travel to Orlando on business or pleasure that do not rent a car. I still say the longer term effect will be a slowdown in the rental car business in 2-3 year timeframe.

But they have to compete for that business instead of having it dropped in their lap by Disney. Too many companies based their entire business plan (if they even had one) on the Disney guests with fat pocketbooks that would pay the asking price. A little competion is good and will weed out the suppliers and create a better marketplace for the consumers.

PigletIsMyCat

Could you imagine a Disney Airport? Or even more crazy, a Disney Airline!?!?!.....(imagine appropriate music for a dream sequence here.....)

Upon arrival at your local airport, you make your way to the exclusive Disney Terminal, where you are greeted by Cast Members wearing big Mickey Hands and directing you to your departure gate. At the gate, you pass through a doorway into a waiting area decorated like Fantasyland, complete with replica Dumbo ride and concession stands. Upon checking in, you are given your boarding passes - complete with a complimentary WDW Travel pin - and go to wait in the 'Dopey' section for your boarding call.

Once you are seated in the plane, Mickey comes on the PA and introduces you to your pilot and crew, and then Cinderella comes out to give the safety talk. Once the seat belt sign comes on (complete with a Mickey Head on the belt buckle) you buckle up and prepare for takeoff...

When you reach cruising altitude, Cast Members offer you free headsets to enjoy today's feature - hey, it's "Finding Nemo"! - and ask if you would like the lasange, chicken, or tuna sandwich for your in-flight meal. Minutes later, Goofy and Donald push the cart down the aisle, banging into this elbow and that elbow, ho ho good Disney fun! Your meal is served with Jell-o in the shape of Mickey's head.

Upon arrival at DisneyWorld International Airport, where there is NO baggage claim, you check in immediately at the Resort Counter, where you are given your Key to the World and also given the option to board a clean, air conditioned bus to your resort (bypassing check in there) for a shower or nap, or checking your carry-ons here (to be transported directly to your resort room with your luggage) and proceeding directly to one of the parks on the new DisneyExpress Monorail, which connects DisneyWorld Internation Airport with all four parks.

Please, enjoy your magical stay!

......I, for one, no longer remember what a taxi is.

(calls the patent office and drafts a letter to WDW)

DisneyBride94

jcraycraft said:
I think the removal of the greeters will not satisfy the taxis/drivers. I think people with still use the FREE DME over other forms of paid transportation... expect for the people who want/need a rental car. Notice none of the rental car companies are complaining…. They are probably still holding their market share and not hurt by DME.

I don't now...we usually DO rent a car while down at Disney... this year we are taking the Free DME, for several reasons... The number one reason is that they'll fetch and deliver our luggage to our hotel for us. This is a HUGE deal given that we have 3 children and the oldest child is only 5. It has always been a major struggle for us to get all of our bags and strollers and carseats to the car rental counter and then down to the cars... my husband insists on doing it ourselves so as not to have to pay a baggage handler (mainly because the baggage handler will only deliver us to the car counter and abandon us with the bags there--and then we have to find a means to get them from the rental counter to the car). So the luggage delivery feature is what most appeals to us... This is huge... It would be really nice if the car rental companies would fetch your luggage and put it in your rental car for you...while you are waiting in line and/or completing your paper work at their kiosks... That would be a marketing ploy that would suck me back under a rental car company's auspices....

I also especially like that I can check out at the hotel lobby and check in my luggage for the airport... this really frees me up to spend a carefree morning in the park before heading to the airport... a huge deal for me... Traveling with small ones can be so stressful...anything that helps ease my stress level is huge for me...

And of course the cost-savings is a big thing for us as well... But it is not the primary consideration for us... I'd frankly like to have the DME take my luggage to my hotel.... and offer me the check in deal... and then I could get my rental car too!

goonsquads57

I don't know about anyone else, but i can hear the PA announcement now..."Welcome, one and all, to Walt Disney World International Airport...."

If I'm not mistaken, an airport was in Walt's original plans for Disney World anyway.

Stay tuned, I guess.

brich

righttrack said:
So we agree... :lol: I'll shush up then.... :zipit: :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom