Ahsoka D+ Show (Spoiler Thread)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since it’s the same actor from Rebels I would hope it’s a good portrayal.

As for the look, it’s tough to take a character from animation and make it look exactly the same in live action. I give them a pass here since they’re using the same actor.
That’s a good point…

It’s just the hair and the face are…off…

Might have been a good spot to use the computer rigging?

Jedijax719

The only thing with Thrawn is that he doesn't have any interesting powers. In a world of the Force, Jedi, and lightsabers, he'd be an easy target and easy to take down. He's smart, but a quick lightsaber slash or laser blast and he's gone.

That said, zombie troopers are very interesting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only thing with Thrawn is that he doesn't have any interesting powers. In a world of the Force, Jedi, and lightsabers, he'd be an easy target and easy to take down. He's smart, but a quick lightsaber slash or laser blast and he's gone.

The character was written to be “super cunning”

So not a wizard…but more of a lex Luther type.

There’s room for that

doctornick

Since it’s the same actor from Rebels I would hope it’s a good portrayal.

As for the look, it’s tough to take a character from animation and make it look exactly the same in live action. I give them a pass here since they’re using the same actor.

And having the same chilling voice is fantastic. I never read the books so I have little preconception of Thrawn but the portrayal in Rebels as a methodical detailed leader was very well done for a villain. He never felt like a cartoonish idiot who would obviously lose the way that many villains are shown (even if you knew the Rebels would ultimately defeat him).

JAB

In 'Rebels' he's seen having a sparring workout with an assassin droid, so he's at least likely stronger and faster than an average human, but that's sort of beside the point, as his whole deal is that he's already thinking and planning 10 steps ahead of you, so you never get close enough to him to strike.

ETA: In the original (formerly canon) Zahn novels, Thrawn did have a strategy to defend against Force wielders.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The subtitles called the troops "Night Troopers."

Given the inquisitor that dissolved into smoke, and the Nightsisters' history of zombification...

Zombie Troopers.

JAB

The subtitles called the troops "Night Troopers."

Given the inquisitor that dissolved into smoke, and the Nightsisters' history of zombification...

Zombie Troopers.
That was my take, too.

Granted, it could just be having been marooned for 10 years, but their dirty and broken armor - in contrast to the normally pristine white stormtroopers - and the chanting of "Thrawn!" gave them a feeling of "something's not quite right here."

erasure fan1

…the portrayal is fine. The look really isn’t
I'll agree. He really didn't look all that great.

As far as this episode goes, it was fine. At this point if you're invested in the show and enjoying it, not much changes. I don't see this episode converting many people, but I doubt if you weren't all that into it, you've stuck around anyway.

It does look like this will come down to a sprint finish mainly leading to season 2.

JAB

It’s just the hair and the face are…off…
I'll agree. He really didn't look all that great.

He definitely looks off. I think it's the round-ish face and the fully receding hairline. Since his first appearance on the cover art of the 90s novels, Thrawn has always been shown with a somewhat long, gaunt face and slight widow's peak.

That being said, for me, the minor inaccuracies in his appearance are worth the tradeoff for Lars Mikkelsen's performance.

ETA: It might also be that Mikkelsen's nose is smaller than Thrawn's is usually depicted, but I think for me it's still mostly about the hairline.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He definitely looks off. I think it's the round-ish face and the fully receding hairline. Since his first appearance on the cover art of the 90s novels, Thrawn has always been shown with a somewhat long, gaunt face and slight widow's peak.

That being said, for me, the minor inaccuracies in his appearance are worth the tradeoff for Lars Mikkelsen's performance.
Yeah…I think he was drawn to look a lot like this guy:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm closing my eyes because I haven't watched episode 6 yet, but my thoughts so far...

After three episodes, I thought "Dave Filoni is a menace who must be stopped."

After episodes 4 and 5 I thought "Dave Filoni is a genius and should be given the keys to the kingdom."
I think what I’ve thought since Katie Sackhoff said “…a Jedi….” In the last episode of season 2 of Mando:

That favreau and filoni need to be named “general managers” of Star Wars.

They seem to be fans…let them speak to the fans.

And launch JJ, kiri hart and last Johnson into a very distant sun

doctornick

Another thought I had...

The sole purpose of the Eye of Sion is just to jump to another galaxy, and then serve as a hyperspace ring for Thrawn's Star Destroyer to return. Yet the designers thought... "Let's add a brig - just in case." 🤔

It seems that a brig is pretty standard on most spacefaring vessels in the Star Wars universe so I don't think it is anything surprising. Also, they didn't exactly know for sure what they would find when they got to their destination and it's better to be prepared.

(Obviously except for smaller vessels for one or two people only)

Phroobar

In 'Rebels' he's seen having a sparring workout with an assassin droid, so he's at least likely stronger and faster than an average human, but that's sort of beside the point, as his whole deal is that he's already thinking and planning 10 steps ahead of you, so you never get close enough to him to strike.

ETA: In the original (formerly canon) Zahn novels, Thrawn did have a strategy to defend against Force wielders.
I'm surprised Thrawn isn't using the ysalamiri to make a Force bubble.

iu

JAB

I think what I’ve thought since Katie Sackhoff said “…a Jedi….” In the last episode of season 2 of Mando:

That favreau and filoni need to be named “general managers” of Star Wars.

They seem to be fans…let them speak to the fans.

And launch JJ, kiri hart and last Johnson into a very distant sun
Yeah; Filoni's an encyclopedic Star Wars nerd who loves the lore.

Unlike Rian Johnson who seemed to be proud of his disdain for the existing mythology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom