Ahsoka D+ Show (Spoiler Thread)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you often make up a bunch of what-ifs and then fret about them years before they even *might* happen?
You do understand that “what ifs” are the entire point of discussion boards and why they became popular, right?

This isn’t Reuters…at least not after 25 years of this…
If people want to know where to find chipmunks at breakfast…it’s in Birnbaums

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am not sure if I am one of those people, but I know I have made comments on those people that have been negative on movies they have not watched which I don’t get… if you watched something and I don’t agree with your thoughts I can’t argue with that as we all have different opinions…it is what makes us unique

For instance I am watching Ahsoka and I don’t really care for it, but I keep quiet about it… I tried watching the animated shows and I could not get into it…so I figured I am not as informed as those that love the cartoons… Ashoka is the 2nd to worst Disney + show IMO… with Boba being the worst and Andor being the best

I do find it ironic that people who think Disney should be catering to the masses with their films now feel the opposite with this show… the amount of the general public that actually watched and enjoyed the animated shows is pretty minuscule even among old school Star Wars fans
I think it’s more constructive - fans or not - to hear your opinions. That can be specifically about a single line/look/wave of a hand by an onscreen character…OR it can be about the production design…story angles…or it’s management by THE COMPANY.

It’s always better to see other perspectives. That was what was lost when the movies earlier this year were released. Everything feared has come to pass.

None of that is good for Disney fans or the monolith.
Not one bit. Failure helps none of us. So you apply more pressure to not fail again.

That’s how the market works.

But we have to cut through the crap and not chase the snipe.

erasure fan1

I do find it ironic that people who think Disney should be catering to the masses with their films now feel the opposite with this show… the amount of the general public that actually watched and enjoyed the animated shows is pretty minuscule even among old school Star Wars fans
I don't think that's what is going on here though. I've said multiple times that while I like the show, it is very closed off and that could really hurt it. Especially since they just jumped in blind, no prologue, recap... Something to help the average person understand. That also plays into why we were talking about if this will all end in the Mando-verse film.
For instance I am watching Ahsoka and I don’t really care for it, but I keep quiet about it… I tried watching the animated shows and I could not get into it…
You don't need to keep quiet in my opinion. Like @Sirwalterraleigh said, it's a discussion forum, that's the point. It would be rather boring if everyone always agreed on everything all the time. Personally I don't mind when I'm disagreed with or challenged on a negative opinion, or positive for that matter. As long as it's in good faith. And a lot of the people who challenge the negative, do so with zero interest in hearing what is being said. If it's not pro Disney, it's not acceptable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And a lot of the people who challenge the negative, do so with zero interest in hearing what is being said. If it's not pro Disney, it's not acceptable.
This is the thing.

It’s obvious when it’s all about the D in your own head. No one who can’t be objective has ever come off as anything but in the tank.

I’d venture there’d be almost zero “negativity trolls” if people could drop the pretense and at least admit that it’s a psychological thing in their head…not an honest look. Both sides…actually

lazyboy97o

You don't need to keep quiet in my opinion. Like @Sirwalterraleigh said, it's a discussion forum, that's the point. It would be rather boring if everyone always agreed on everything all the time. Personally I don't mind when I'm disagreed with or challenged on a negative opinion, or positive for that matter. As long as it's in good faith. And a lot of the people who challenge the negative, do so with zero interest in hearing what is being said. If it's not pro Disney, it's not acceptable.
Sometimes something just isn’t someone’s cup of tea and there really isn’t anything to say about it. There’s not a whole lot to discuss if someone’s reaction is just sort of “meh”. People don’t talk about things that don’t interest them.

The movie threads are different in that some of them get inundated by people who are clearly acting in bad faith. You get to a point where the discuss of media should revolve around that media. While there’s the old joke that a book club is just people getting together to drink, if you join a real book club they’re going to expect you to read the book and you probably wouldn’t be welcome for long if you kept showing up without reading the book and trying to constantly talk over people about the author’s personal life.

Wendy Pleakley

I don't think that's what is going on here though. I've said multiple times that while I like the show, it is very closed off and that could really hurt it. Especially since they just jumped in blind, no prologue, recap... Something to help the average person understand. That also plays into why we were talking about if this will all end in the Mando-verse film.

The show did have an opening text screen giving a bit of background.

I wonder why they didn't do the extended summary like they did for Obi-Wan, which I found funny that they were doing a recap of movies most of us have pretty much memorized.

Maybe the animated series have a smaller audience so they didn't want to "spoil" it too much and let people check them out afterward.

Personally, I have watched some of both animated series and usually tune out during them. I'm sure there are good episodes but I don't find either series particularly compelling.

I know the overall story and relationships and have no issues following what is happening in this series.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sometimes something just isn’t someone’s cup of tea and there really isn’t anything to say about it. There’s not a whole lot to discuss if someone’s reaction is just sort of “meh”. People don’t talk about things that don’t interest them.

The movie threads are different in that some of them get inundated by people who are clearly acting in bad faith. You get to a point where the discuss of media should revolve around that media. While there’s the old joke that a book club is just people getting together to drink, if you join a real book club they’re going to expect you to read the book and you probably wouldn’t be welcome for long if you kept showing up without reading the book and trying to constantly talk over people about the author’s personal life.
They’ve started bouncing movies like lead filled balloons.

I get what you’re saying…but that in particular might have a specific, deeper meaning?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think that is part of the worry though, the strike could change things.
Everything is unknown with everything in Hollywood until the strikes are over.

The point is they at least appear to have a plan for S2 prior to the strikes. Maybe it changes, maybe it doesn't. We'll have to wait and see.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everything is unknown with everything in Hollywood until the strikes are over.

The point is they at least appear to have a plan for S2 prior to the strikes. Maybe it changes, maybe it doesn't. We'll have to wait and see.
But in the end…rumors “a season 2 is coming” are the same as the ones that popped up the first week that the viewership isn’t gonna cut it….

The real problem is the whole system and Disneys studios are in flux.

What would help a lot would be to do real seasons where you Weren’t rationing minutes…

Instead of 8 thirty minute episode every “year or two”

I blame game of thrones…

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But in the end…rumors “a season 2 is coming” are the same as the ones that popped up the first week that the viewership isn’t gonna cut it….

The real problem is the whole system and Disneys studios are in flux.

What would help a lot would be to do real seasons where you Weren’t rationing minutes…

Instead of 8 thirty minute episode every “year or two”

I blame game of thrones…
You can be cynical about it if you want. But as you said, discussing "what ifs" is the entire point of these discussion boards, which would also include rumors.

So if you care to discuss what you'd like to see in S2 (if they don't get to it by the end of S1)....

DKampy

I agree with that…it is just I don’t know if I have much too add… as I feel not as informed as someone who has not watched the animated shows… but I do think the show could have filled in the gaps better with either a dream sequence or flashback or something… because I get the feeling we are expected to just pick up directly after Rebels

erasure fan1

Very true. Sometimes though, you hope it would be your cup of tea and it's not. No one should not talk about it because someone might jump down their throat because it isn't pro Disney enough.
The movie threads are different in that some of them get inundated by people who are clearly acting in bad faith. You get to a point where the discuss of media should revolve around that media.
I agree. It happens on both sides. Just go back to the mermaid threads. A lot of discussions came up having to do with box office performance. Something you didn't need to see the film to talk about. It was told that box office should not be discussed in the spoiler thread because people couldn't talk about the content of the film. So it moved to the general discussion thread. And wouldn't you know it, the same group of people decided to come into that thread to shout down anyone who wasn't only talking positive, leaving the other thread to die.

There's a lot more to these films and series than just the plot. Performance, reception, marketing, spin-offs... All revolve around that media in my opinion. Some things you should see to talk about, some not so much.

erasure fan1

but I do think the show could have filled in the gaps better with either a dream sequence or flashback or something…
100%. I really thought when they showed Sabine kind of sleeping restlessly, that it was going to go into a dream sequence flash back that filled in some of the gaps. It would have been perfect.

Wendy Pleakley

Do people find this more or less confusing than watching A New Hope for the first time?

It kind of feels the same to me. We know the Empire has fallen but some remnants remain. We don't need to know Thrawn's back story.

ANH mentioned the Clone Wars and established Obi-Wan was one of the few Jedi to remain. There were obviously things to be expanded upon later, but the basic premise of a Rebellion fighting an Empire was pretty straight forward.

Not much difference here to me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How can we speculate about what’s going to happen in an as yet unannounced S2 when nothings happened thus far in S1?
Which is really the trouble with short “intro seasons”…especially in sci fi

The first seasons are typically the least well received ones…you gotta give the audience time to get their feet under them.

This model doesn’t work perfectly.

I know 3 of my 4 favorite series wouldn’t have made it past the first season if they had 8 episodes…
…and they all ran for 100-200 episodes and hold up well today.

erasure fan1

Do people find this more or less confusing than watching A New Hope for the first time?

It kind of feels the same to me. We know the Empire has fallen but some remnants remain. We don't need to know Thrawn's back story.

ANH mentioned the Clone Wars and established Obi-Wan was one of the few Jedi to remain. There were obviously things to be expanded upon later, but the basic premise of a Rebellion fighting an Empire was pretty straight forward.

I'd say yes and no. It's hard to compare the very first entry into the series with this. With a new hope you were introduced to Vader right off the bat. And as soon as you saw him it was clear, this is the big bad of the story. They gave you the information you needed for the story being told. With this, a lot is unclear or makes little sense if you arent familiar with the animations. Why should someone care about Thrawn if you haven't seen rebels? A simple 5/10 min intro explaining why we should care would have made a big difference.

Jedijax719

Well, at the time, there's no big high stakes for Thrawn's presence. Most people don't know what he's done (if he's actually done anything) other than the fact that he wants to return the entity that has done bad things. But there's no reason to hate Thrawn or to fear him. His name is only in legacy for those who have read the books or seen Rebels. So Thrawn is just a villain but without any real true agency. And the more we wait to see him, the more it's like crying wolf. Once he comes, will anyone care that much?

Heppenheimer

A New Hope let you know the stakes immediately. That opening shot of the small rebel ship being chased by a massive star destroyer instantly told you who the good guys and the bad guys were and the huge power imbalance between them. Then, Darth Vader and Princess Leia's first appearances tell you everything you need to know to establish the story. Even though we knew nothing about the larger Star Wars fictional universe in 1977, the first scene told us all we needed to know to become engaged in and follow the unfolding story.

I'm only a casual Star Wars fan, but the first episode of Ahsoka did none of that for me. I don't know who these characters are, their relationship to each other, or why their motivations are important, and the show did very little to get me engaged like the original movie did instantly.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom