Advice/Warnings/Tips regarding POP

moonspinner

Calling all POP people! Have you any tips or suggestions or (Heaven forbid) warnings regarding staying at POP?

I have figured out that we most likely need some kind of white noise machine or a fan (we would probably use anyway, as we tend to sleep with the ceiling fans on and are used to some kind of constant noise).

I'm also prepared for POP to be busy as our visit falls during the free dining promotion (or at least as mentally prepared as I can be for such a thing).

What else do you think I should be aware of and/or prepared for?

Disney seems to provide SO many wonderful resorts and we so wanted to try CB or, I think the other was FQ (I was so digging the beaches and laid back atmosphere at CB... DH was digging the other resort :)).

Circumstances being what they are, we felt like our best bet was to go with a value. I'm REALLY hoping DH enjoys himself so much that this will only be the first of many trips and we will have the opportunity to try some other resorts in the future. Afraid he's not much of a amusement park person, so I'm hoping the 'magic' makes all the difference!

Thanks in advance for all the great advice and suggestions!! :D

slappy magoo

These are rooms that are average for most hotel rooms like Clarions etc. Besides why do people need huge rooms to be out in the park all day and or at the pool. I just do not get it, paying for about 3-4 feet more at a price of 100-300 per night more to have huge rooms. This isn't a put down but has been said a few times and it makes no sense to many of us why you need a big room to pay for park hours.

You're assuming everyone likes the same thing you like, does the same things on vacation you do. You really should try not to do that.

Not meant to be a put down, of course.

Upvote 0

moonspinner

Original Poster
I've become spoiled with the great responses to questions posted here and this one was no exception. :)

I keep hearing about this this Tye Dye Cheesecake (see a pic and it's hard to believe this stuff is good, but it MUST be bc of the large following of believers :D) but I hadn't heard anything about the great sundaes (I'm sure we will have several sundaes, MLMama... I'll make sure to have one wth your name on it) . Thanks for the pics, M Yoda, they are great. I'm hoping on our down day the girls will give mom and dad some down time to just walk the resort and see all of the trivia signs.

I do like the larger than life icons and while I'm a child of the 80's, I thought my kids would dig the big wheel and Mickey Mouse phone as much as I do. I've asked for the 70's building with the Big Wheel, but I guess we will see.

Got to remember the beef and blue (thanks for the tip), DH might really like that and I'll be glad to let him know it's been recomended. :) Breakfast pizza might be a good one to remember for the girls too... got a big pizza lover so she'll LOVE that.

I'm glad to hear most people reporting that it's clean and well kept with great service. Have read a few poor reviews, but most are overwhelmingly positive, so I've been hopeful. More so now. :animwink:

Slappy Magoo, when my oldest was little we had to play this clip of a rainstorm (sounded mostly like white noise to be honest) at just about the loudest level for most of the night. Otherwise she just screamed and screamed... couldn't block anything out on her own. I'm a little glad to hear someone else did the same thing. :) I've long since lost the cd, which is a little sad. :( Thanks for the link.

Still a little concerned about the room size, but hoping that won't be an issue since we plan to spend little time there. Hoping the beds aren't too uncomfortable or short. In fact, we might take a blow up twin mattress to squeeze in there some where if we find it neccessary.

I'm glad to hear that POP holds it's own charm, even with those that prefer deluxe. Says something about the resort, don't ya think?

Many many thanks, guys!! Lots to look forward to!!!

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

POP is the best value! Its nothing great, but it has all you want in a motel. Clean rooms, good service, great shopping. Food court is just cs. Get a preferred room facing the lake, much more quiet than being by a pool. Bus lines is the hardest, no shade, and the whole resort at one spot, and the scooters are at the front of every line, with their family of 20 in tow! No nightlife. But it is still a peaceful place, especially in the morning.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

Going in August for two days before we transfer over to POFQ. Taking Grandma who has trouble walking ( injuries from an accident years ago that has left her in terrible pain - qualifies medically for an ECV, but won't use one "as long as she can still stand upright"), suggestions for which bldg to request ( I know they don't guarantee) would be greatly appreciated. the days we're there will probably be spent at the resort, eating at the food court, shopping onsite and at the pool. Are you allowed to use any of the pools on that property no matter which building you're in?
Thanks for the advice and guidance!

I would recommend the 60s building because it is the closest to everything. Your best bet is to book a preferred room which will guarantee that you are closer to everything. As a former front desk CM I'll give you a tip on how you're most likely to get a room you request.

Call the hotel NO EARLIER than 10 days before you check-in. The hotel does not have your reservation until that time so they won't/can't do anything for you before that. Call and request a room close to the lobby due to someone in your party with a disability. They will then put a note in your reservation (or should) and then when your room is blocked off the day of your check-in or when a CM checks you in they will see your request and comply with it as best they can. Depending on the skill level of the CM and when you call they may even block you a room while you're still on the phone. Of course as you said nothing is guaranteed, but that's your best chance in getting it accomplished. =)

As far as the pools, you are allowed to use any pool on the POP property no matter where you stay. IIf you're pool people take advantage of both the pools at POP. DVC Members may pool hop at all DVC hotel pools as well as the one they are staying at. Also, take advantage of all the scenery for some GREAT photo opps. I stayed there last year and took some of the best pictures of my trip right on the hotel grounds!!

Hope that helps! Have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

We stayed there in 2009 and liked it a lot! Staying there again in October with the kids. The one thing I can't wait to get again there is a reuben flatbread that I thought was fantastic. Reubens are generally a little soggy but the oven cooked flatbread made it amazing. It's open faced (almost like a pizza).

Upvote 0
We are DVC, but we stay at Pop when we aren't using points. It is very clean. We never have a problem sleeping and have always had plenty of soap, shampoo, conditioner. My kids love the larger then life icons and they make for a great Kodak moment. The pools are great!! We have never had any thing to complain about when we stay there.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

These are rooms that are average for most hotel rooms like Clarions etc. Besides why do people need huge rooms to be out in the park all day and or at the pool. I just do not get it, paying for about 3-4 feet more at a price of 100-300 per night more to have huge rooms. This isn't a put down but has been said a few times and it makes no sense to many of us why you need a big room to pay for park hours.

True. Which is why they have so many value rooms:)

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Back when we stayed at Pop and got good room discounts we would actually get 2 connecting rooms so we'd have more space and the extra bathroom. It was nice to spread out. We stayed at Pop for our 1st four trips. The parks were what it was all about then so our thinking was the same that I read frequently: Why pay so much for a deluxe room when you're not in it all day? But then we tried some deluxes and a moderate. We found that the bigger rooms fit us well and we didn't feel the need to get a 2nd room. Also, we found that we were spending less time beating the pavement at the parks and more time relaxing at our resort. I think as our pace slowed in the parks we really enjoyed the resort(s) more. So at least for us, paying more for a bigger room isn't at all paying for park hours. It's paying for a resort with a room and amenities we intend to spend a good bit of time enjoying just as we do the parks. It's all part of the bigger picture that makes our ever-evolving vacations what they are. Does that make sense?

Pop, though, is a loooot of fun. All of y'all who will be there soon make sure to blow a kiss to the little blonde Cabbage Patch Kid in the 80s display case in Classic Hall for SweetPee! :wave:

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

It does sound fun but 1600.00 dollars more for 8 days. 8 days at POP is $775.00 So 2300.00 is lot to have a bigger room. I would live in that thing all week and not even buy park tickets.. But then again I can't afford to do that if I want to go.Food cost as well is a huge factor when its not free.. Have a great time sweet pea.. I know you will. I booked Music Suites but my grandkids will love POP so we are changing to that next week.. 13 days is like heaven on earth at the most magical place on earth

Upvote 0

plaz10

we always stay at POP. We are get up early and stay late park goers so we really only use the room to sleep and shower and sometimes swim (talk about alliteration!) We found the foodcourt to be great and the big icons make for some great photo ops. The bus lines can be long at night as its a popular hotel but Disney knows this and usually sends multiple busses at a time for pick up from the parks.

I highly recommend it and when we go next year - if we don't try the new Animation building, we'll be back at POP!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Calling all POP people! Have you any tips or suggestions or (Heaven forbid) warnings regarding staying at POP?

I have figured out that we most likely need some kind of white noise machine or a fan (we would probably use anyway, as we tend to sleep with the ceiling fans on and are used to some kind of constant noise).

I'm also prepared for POP to be busy as our visit falls during the free dining promotion (or at least as mentally prepared as I can be for such a thing).

What else do you think I should be aware of and/or prepared for?

Disney seems to provide SO many wonderful resorts and we so wanted to try CB or, I think the other was FQ (I was so digging the beaches and laid back atmosphere at CB... DH was digging the other resort :)).

Circumstances being what they are, we felt like our best bet was to go with a value. I'm REALLY hoping DH enjoys himself so much that this will only be the first of many trips and we will have the opportunity to try some other resorts in the future. Afraid he's not much of a amusement park person, so I'm hoping the 'magic' makes all the difference!

Thanks in advance for all the great advice and suggestions!! :D

Hey there,

My mom and I stayed at Pop for one night a month ago. We were to only be down at WDW for one night, two days, staying at the Grand Floridian. At the last minute, we decided not to drive back home so we stayed one night at the Pop. It was fine. I have heard about bugs before - and yes, I found 2 in the room - 2 moth looking things crawling on the floor. A white noise machine is a must as they don't have ceiling fans and we also need/prefer to sleep with noise and air movement. All the cast members were very helpful. But I will not stay there again. One pool was closed because of noise - this was at midnight. And they all came over to the pool closer to us. Luckily we were on the parking lot side so we didn't hear anything but that is just ridiculous. Also, trying to get into the main building going through that smoking section is disgusting! You could barely breath - and that also was at around midnight so I can't imagine what it was like at different parts of the day. Breakfast the next morning was a mad house! It was about 8:30 a.m. and we went for a quick bite. Not to mention expensive (and i'm used to paying the higher WDW prices) for the little and over cooked food you got for your money. I do not know if this is how it is at all value resorts - I would like to try the new animation one some time - but for Pop - that was my experience.

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

WOW disneygirl76, You really have a bad review.. I have not heard such complaining before as yours on POP. YES it is nasty with the smoking right there but we encountered the same thing outside AKL smokers are rude and care not where they stand signs do not mean them. Itg is not noisy like that at most times. You must have gotten a bottom floor room and had huge group staying there. the food is the same price everywhere for resorts. Its all too high for what you get but we are picky eaters and found nothing wrong with that either. on the other hand BOMA is bad and I am not the only one who thinks 35.00 for a plate of nasty is outrageous. But this is our opinion. Really you will be fine moonspinner you are not going during summer months or heavy traffic months. Also never stay lon bottom floor you will get that everywhere.

Upvote 0

moonspinner

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear your you had a poor experience, disneygirl76.

I can't speak for everyone but ANYTIME you save and prepare and plan for a vacation, you want it to be as enjoyable as possible (I don't mean perfect, but enjoyable) no matter where the destination, but I think it must be a little more disappointing at WDW. In my personal case, I fear my expectations may be too high because... well, it's WDW). :eek: I hope I'm pleasantly surprised to find my expectations are head on.

I do appreciate your sharing with me. I have read some reviews (tripadvisor) that spoke of similar experiences. May sound odd, but just knowing what you might find (good or otherwise) helps me to feel prepared and not at all taken by surprise. :) So I really do thank everyone.

lighteningqueen... didn't think about what floor to request. I just asked for the 70's building if possible. Something to think about, isn't it? Not sure if I can ask for that now? :shrug:

Upvote 0

Mukta

Yes, they do, we got new ones every day even if we had not used the ones from the day before. Every day there were new bottle and also you can buy other brands in the gift shop and they are not that expensive and will not hold you up in the airports.

You're telling me that mousekeeping gave you hair conditioner and body lotion? They didn't give either to me during my stay.

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

Yes, just call them up and request 3rd floor. We did not hear anything and the pool was full it was 80 degree weather that week and we heard nothing.. We were ion the building with the big huge Mickey phone in front of the elevators I think 60's but do not remember.. Our food was good what we did order there, and if you save a snack credit you can get a huge sundae with when ever you want on it. No I think it was our dessert on the dining plan you get a separate receipt and just hand it to them whenever you want to cash it in. You will be fine. I have been to 3 fancy motels in my life time and I felt out of place like you cannot sit on the bed and mess it up. One in Houston someone had gone in and done their thing and made the bed back up, NO refund from it Hyatt. One in Arlington the Sheratan white everything in there. had the baby with us, and one in Tulsa. Quite frankly all of them were not as clean as the POP was when we were there, hair in the bath tubs filth in the cracks on bath floor this was the Sheraton .Tulsa's there was trash under the bed and non vacumned floors had to get the maid in for that... So take it for what its worth. You always hear of one that got the raw end of the deal while they stayed there and disneygirl was it.. sorry

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

Yes, I am looking at my stash before answering you. You must have gotten a lazy maid. I give 2.00 per day for mousekeeping maybe thats why.. Even when i forgot one day she left new of it all. There are usually r5 of us and then I give 5 per day. Well worth it they do a good job and leave towel animals. and even made our grandsons bed up which is the ottoman in the suites and displayed his things and towel animals on it. Both years we stayed there. POP did it everyday for us as well.

Upvote 0

Mukta

Yes, I am looking at my stash before answering you. You must have gotten a lazy maid. I give 2.00 per day for mousekeeping maybe thats why.. Even when i forgot one day she left new of it all. There are usually r5 of us and then I give 5 per day. Well worth it they do a good job and leave towel animals. and even made our grandsons bed up which is the ottoman in the suites and displayed his things and towel animals on it. Both years we stayed there. POP did it everyday for us as well.

That is very interesting. I tip $1 a day and there was only 1 of me. Every where else I have read says that values give shampoo/conditioner in 1 and no lotion. Good to know I should have received this.

Upvote 0

moonspinner

Original Poster
lighteningqueen, I think you are the second person to recommend the sundaes. I keep hearing about the tye dye cheesecake, but I'm getting interested in these sundaes. :slurp: The girls would have a blast with those I'm sure!

I'm thinking about making labeled and pre-stuffed envelopes for mousekeeping tips so all I have to do pull one out everyday.

Mukta, I've noticed your profile pic before and can't figure out what it is? Is this a place at WDW or Disneyland? Just curious.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom