Advice on Moderate Resorts

Fluxuated

I've been going to WDW for the last 3 years and stayed each time at Pop Century.

For my son's 10'th birthday, in a couple years we are heading back. We'd like to book a Moderate resort, but are unsure in which on to book. I'd like to hear peoples opinions, both good and bad, on which they think would be best?
We'd thought Caribbean Beach would be a good choice, but I've read a bunch of messages here, where people say not to go there. What's your opinions?

My kids will be 9 and 13. Thanks for your replies.

sbkline

All 4 of them look nice, but I've only stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. We loved it and plan to go back again in April.

I do know that on certain times of the year, they have some kind of stories around the campfire thing for the kids, so I don't know if you'd be going at that time of year or not. But we loved POR. Beautiful resort, and it's a short walk to French Quarter and a boat ride to Downtown Disney.

French Quarter is pretty also, but alot smaller. Coronado Springs is very pretty as well. We didn't get a chance to get out of the car and walk around Caribbean Beach, but it looked pretty nice from the van as we drove through.

I think you'll have a blast at any of them. But I guess I have to recomment POR at this point since that's the only one I've stayed at.

Upvote 0

Fluxuated

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I should have said we plan to go around Mid May 2010. The savings start this week, so we are looking forward to it, although it's quite a ways away. You only turn 10 once, so we want to make it a great one.

Upvote 0

Shadowdawn

I'd have to say either POR Riverside or French Quarter. Both have very nice pools that I'm sure your boys would probably like. FQ is smaller but that might be nice after a long day of walking around the parks. I know that Caribbean Beach is very spread out and you might not want to drag them around if they are really tired.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have stayed at all 4 moderates and IMHO PORS is the best. Both CB and CS are fine but the resorts are rather spread out which can result in a 20 min hike to the food court. PORS's layout is such that most of the rooms are only a 5 min walk to the main building which will house both the food court and a great TS restaurant called Boatwright's. PORS and POFQ are also the only moderates to have water transportation to and from DTD.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

We have stayed at Caribbean Beach and I will never stay there again. We walked for ever to get to the food court and waited for ever at the bus stop. For our next trip we are planning on staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I have never read anything bad about it. :) Have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We stayed at Coronado Springs with 6 kids and we won't be going back anytime soon. For the kids, it was just too spread out. Who wants to spend 10-15 minutes walking to the pool after a long day at the parks? They say they have little golf carts, but during the 11 days we were there, we never did catch a golf cart.

Upvote 0

Disneyfanman

We stayed at the CB two years ago and will not stay there again. The rooms were quite disappointing. We haven't stayed at the other moderates, although I have heard good things about them. We usually stay off site, and have found a ton of great resorts that double as time share resorts. I really recommend looking at that option as well. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

daguru

With kids, I would recommend PORS, the resort is spreadout, but not so much that it is a long wal any where...

They have a very fun atomosphere, especially the pool! The pools is awesome for kids!

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I have stayed at all 4 moderates. My least fav was POR - I did not care for the theming. I would recommend POFQ - it is a smaller resort which with children might be a blessing returning from the parks. OR CBR - if you choose this one make sure you are in Aruba or Jamica - that way you are close to the bridge to cross the lake to the food court building. I have stayed there MANY times and have always gotten this request filled.

Upvote 0

donvincenzo

If sticking to moderates, I would definitely recommend Port Orleans FQ. It has good theming, very nice rooms, a good pool, but I think what is best about it is the size, that it's small. Walking from your room to the lobby/food court is no problem at all. And because it's small, that generally means there isn't a bad crowd in the morning to get on buses to go to the parks. Getting back is a different story, because most buses service both Port Orleans at the same time. But that doesn't take away from FQ being the best moderate. I've stayed at Riverside and it is huge. It has four seperate bus depots. I would stay there with no complaints if that's all I could get, but I would FQ if given a choice.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Another vote for Port Orleans Riverside.

And here's why: While it has great things to do for the kids (themed pool, marina, butterfly garden, cane-pole fishing, bikes, River Jester Cruise, campfire depending on when you go), it also a very adult-friendly (award winning landscaping, hot tubs, quiet walks and gazebos, Bob the Piano Man in the lounge).

I love it for the serenity and the away-from-it-all ambience, and my son loves it for the theming and activities.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

I've been going to WDW for the last 3 years and stayed each time at Pop Century.

For my son's 10'th birthday, in a couple years we are heading back. We'd like to book a Moderate resort, but are unsure in which on to book. I'd like to hear peoples opinions, both good and bad, on which they think would be best?
We'd thought Caribbean Beach would be a good choice, but I've read a bunch of messages here, where people say not to go there. What's your opinions?

My kids will be 9 and 13. Thanks for your replies.
I would recommend Port Orleans Riverside.
We stayed there in the summer of 2006.
It is very nice.

Upvote 0

Fluxuated

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the magnitude of replies, it's much appreciated.

We are a long ways off, but it gives me some insight of how to plan for it. I'll do more homework on your suggestions. Thank you again.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Thank you very much for the magnitude of replies, it's much appreciated.

We are a long ways off, but it gives me some insight of how to plan for it. I'll do more homework on your suggestions. Thank you again.
We have never stayed at POFQ, but we have visited it -- it seemed very nice also!

Upvote 0

DisneyPirate85

CBR is redoing there Main pool this year so it may be Better when you want to go. POR and POFQ both have really nice pools and pretty neat water slides. POR food court is much larger then POFQ so that may be little better for kids larger selection.:wave:

Upvote 0

Patsc85

Port Orleans Riverside handsdown. It really feels like you are in a different world there. Its often called the Moderate resort with a Deluxe feel. The resort is so immersive with its themeing. The food is great, rooms are nice, cast members are friendly, transportation is easy.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

Coronado is hands down our favourite moderate and IMHO has far and away the best food court (Pepper Market) and now Rix Cafe. We were at the farthest Ranchos building 2 weeks ago, and it was a 9 minute walk to El Centro, so it is large. Having said that, you can be far too at Carribean Beach, and in POFQ building #9 or the back of a couple of the mansions. Often people suggest that CBR and CSR are too spread out, but some PO locations can be almost as far.

Also, see thread started earlier tonight about POR experience.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=264226

Upvote 0

TikiBeckie

You are going to get recommendations for them all. I have also stayed at all 4 mods and Coronado is my fave, the cabanas section. I love the food court, pool and transportation. I will never stay at POR or CBR again. Too spread out and the bus service was atrocious.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom