Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

PorterRedkey

I got to eat at the Skipper Canteen today. Still walk-in only. Our food was really good! We went shortly after eleven and got seating right away. I asked for the SEA room and we got the butterfly table!!!! Not very crowded, but it was picking up as we were leaving.

Time for total dining experience was a little over an hour. That include bread, entries and dessert. Your experience may vary, but we will definitely be eating there again.

Biff215

Interesting there's still work to be done. Ate here about two weeks ago and wasn't impressed. Atmosphere was just ok and server's jokes seemed forced. I'll admit my family isn't the most adventurous when it comes to food, but I'm guessing most aren't. I won't be surprised at all if a menu overhaul is in the way. My apologies to those who like it, but the many open tables I witnessed can't be a good sign.

Chris82

Interesting there's still work to be done. Ate here about two weeks ago and wasn't impressed. Atmosphere was just ok and server's jokes seemed forced. I'll admit my family isn't the most adventurous when it comes to food, but I'm guessing most aren't. I won't be surprised at all if a menu overhaul is in the way. My apologies to those who like it, but the many open tables I witnessed can't be a good sign.

I'd heard people on other boards blaming the lack of ADRs for the low attendance - people like to plan their meals ahead so they feel like they know they can get a table, apparently.

But that said, I bet there's some interesting stuff they could do if they really upped the Jungle Cruise theming to "Sci-Fi Dine In" immersion levels...

Last edited:

halltd

I'd heard people on other boards blaming the lack of ADRs for the low attendance - people like to plan their meals ahead so they feel like they know they can get a table, apparently.
I think it was really confusing that on MDX it looked like you could make reservations, but none were ever available (it appeared to be always booked full). So, since that's been fixed, I hope that people realize it's walk-up. The listing should really state that instead of just leaving it up in the air, though.

The lack of reservations is also a double-edged sword. I actually like that reservations are not accepted because it's the ONE place I can always eat if I decide to go into the park without three month's notice. But, as you mentioned, that's also why people don't go; they book up all their other meals with ADRs just to be safe.

Unfortunately, I don't think the ADRs or lack thereof is why it's not full all the time. I've eaten there twice and the food and service have both gone downhill. It was awesome the first time I was there. Funny jokes all around, really peppy cast members, quick service, and GREAT food. Last time I was there, we didn't get any jokes except "the monkeys seem to have knocked the food crates off the boat" when explaining why our lunch was taking almost two hours, the cast members seemed to all be off their game, and the food quality was just ok. The slush was awesome as usual, but still no mugs? I'm guessing those are gone for good. It pains me to write this because I've wanted to love this place since it was announced. But, it's just not doing it for me. When I visit next with my family, I'm not sure we'll stop by here (even though they've never been).

NearTheEars

I think it was really confusing that on MDX it looked like you could make reservations, but none were ever available (it appeared to be always booked full). So, since that's been fixed, I hope that people realize it's walk-up. The listing should really state that instead of just leaving it up in the air, though.

The lack of reservations is also a double-edged sword. I actually like that reservations are not accepted because it's the ONE place I can always eat if I decide to go into the park without three month's notice. But, as you mentioned, that's also why people don't go; they book up all their other meals with ADRs just to be safe.

Unfortunately, I don't think the ADRs or lack thereof is why it's not full all the time. I've eaten there twice and the food and service have both gone downhill. It was awesome the first time I was there. Funny jokes all around, really peppy cast members, quick service, and GREAT food. Last time I was there, we didn't get any jokes except "the monkeys seem to have knocked the food crates off the boat" when explaining why our lunch was taking almost two hours, the cast members seemed to all be off their game, and the food quality was just ok. The slush was awesome as usual, but still no mugs? I'm guessing those are gone for good. It pains me to write this because I've wanted to love this place since it was announced. But, it's just not doing it for me. When I visit next with my family, I'm not sure we'll stop by here (even though they've never been).

Man that stinks. Haven't tried it out yet, but thinking about maybe eating there in the next couple of weeks.

Almost did on Saturday, but we just grabbed a QS meal.

halltd

Man that stinks. Haven't tried it out yet, but thinking about maybe eating there in the next couple of weeks.

Almost did on Saturday, but we just grabbed a QS meal.
I would definitely give it a try if you've never been. Besides it taking a really long time, it was still good, it just wasn't at the level where a themed table service restaurant at the Magic Kingdom should be. It wasn't bad, though. I'm sure I'll just force my family to go so they can at least experience it once. Hopefully things pick up and they'll want to go back again.

Chris82

Hmm... I predict Jungle Book/Tarzan character dining, unless they can come up with an Adventureland-style princess to wedge in there (Moana?)

Rider

Ate there yesterday. Felt the same as when I went after it first opened. Maybe you just hit it on a bad day?

No reservations is strange. I wonder why they are doing that? I don't think any other restaurant had gone this long without them.

indyumd

I'm really excited to eat there in March. I'm worried anytime I see this bumped that either I'll be forced into an ADR or they are already changing the menu.

RSoxNo1

Another permit was filed today with the description "Rehab" which expires 7/29/2016. It's the same contractor as the original permits so it looks like there is still work to be done on the project.

Verandah Resturant - Rehab
I was told by my waitress that there's more to be added. The mess hall is underwhelming and feels decorated, not themed. I don't buy that the Skippers use this area, the masks and photos on the wall are too clean and organized. There's only a few things that say Skippers to me, the lost and unfound, the bulletin board and the box of Christmas stuff.

Biff215

Forgot to comment on the new restrooms, wow are they small. I can only comment on the men's side, one stall, one urinal, one sink. It was fine but seems undersized. Of course few WDW restaurants have their own restrooms, so at least these are dedicated.

Jon81uk

I was told by my waitress that there's more to be added. The mess hall is underwhelming and feels decorated, not themed. I don't buy that the Skippers use this area, the masks and photos on the wall are too clean and organized. There's only a few things that say Skippers to me, the lost and unfound, the bulletin board and the box of Christmas stuff.

Apparently one of the reasons why the main mess hall room is less over the top is they wanted to restore it closer to the original imagineers designs. I don't recall her name but I've read people praising the fact that parts do recall the original 1970s Adventureland Verandah.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom