Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Forgot to comment on the new restrooms, wow are they small. I can only comment on the men's side, one stall, one urinal, one sink. It was fine but seems undersized. Of course few WDW restaurants have their own restrooms, so at least these are dedicated.

The original plans show basically that with a second sink in the handicapped stall. The plans show some pretty nice tile work, did they do that?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The original plans show basically that with a second sink in the handicapped stall. The plans show some pretty nice tile work, did they do that?
Women's restroom:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sink
image.jpeg

Biff215

Yes, as shown in the above pictures. It was interesting that the restroom didn't have the feeling of being brand new, which fits the rest of the building and story. Nicely done, just small.

RSoxNo1

Apparently one of the reasons why the main mess hall room is less over the top is they wanted to restore it closer to the original imagineers designs. I don't recall her name but I've read people praising the fact that parts do recall the original 1970s Adventureland Verandah.
There's a difference between paying tribute to the previous theme and retaining it. They are retaining it while changing the story. That doesn't make sense.

Miss Heinous

Just "ate" here for the first time this past week, beautiful restaurant. 2 major problems however:
1. The lighting is horrible in the SEA room... it was so bright in there that I had to squint a lot. If they could dim the lights by I'd say 50% in that room it would be much more pleasant.
2. The menu is too crazy for Magic Kingdom, everyone on our side of the room was sending back their dishes because none of us could stomach it. I am all for exotic cuisine but there's a difference between something new and something that's edible. The thing that shocked me the most was the waiter brought out our food and immediately told us that if we didn't like it he could get us something else (before even putting the food on the table). I have never in my life ever had a waiter tell me something like that before we even got our food. I loved the look of the place but some things need to change before I go back for a meal.

Crazydisneyfanluke

That might be a reason they wont do ADR. You would get people who wont like the cusine, who just want a plain american meal and book it by mistake. This could cost the resturant money with food being sent back and constantly remade. Maybe its just me, if i order something and dont like it, i wont send it back as its rude to the kitchen staff.

hopemax

We ate there on Tuesday. Didn't have any problems with speed of service. Our waiter was really good both in terms of doing the shtick and regular server duties. We were a group of 7, sat in the family parlor next to the "Great Wall of China."

But I could tell the cuisine made our group uncomfortable. I like trying new things but I just can't tolerate much "heat" so I'm afraid to order certain things because I'm afraid it might be too spicy. The pork dish was really good. Most of us ordered the Mac n cheese and it was okay, but I wasn't a big fan of the favor profile. My Dad thought it tasted to much like taco meat. So I also expect a menu change sooner than later.

But we all did really appreciate the opportunity to have a sit down meal, for our group of 7 without having to have figured out where we wanted to eat 4 months before we knew the trip was happening. No ADRs big plus.

I did ask the server about the mule mugs and he doesn't think they are coming back. First he couldn't believe that the original number ordered was so few, knowing how well those type of things do at Trader Sam's and now Jock's. But he said the printing just came right off. But it wasn't all bad as the regular glasses that they serve the fancier drinks in now hold twice as much as the mule mug.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
. The menu is too crazy for Magic Kingdom, everyone on our side of the room was sending back their dishes because none of us could stomach it. I am all for exotic cuisine but there's a difference between something new and something that's edible. The thing that shocked me the most was the waiter brought out our food and immediately told us that if we didn't like it he could get us something else (before even putting the food on the table). I have never in my life ever had a waiter tell me something like that before we even got our food. I loved the look of the place but some things need to change before I go back for a meal.

But I could tell the cuisine made our group uncomfortable. I like trying new things but I just can't tolerate much "heat" so I'm afraid to order certain things because I'm afraid it might be too spicy. The pork dish was really good. Most of us ordered the Mac n cheese and it was okay, but I wasn't a big fan of the favor profile. My Dad thought it tasted to much like taco meat. So I also expect a menu change sooner than later.

If I may....

Why choose to eat here if you didn't like the looks of the menu? It's not like they are tricking you, you know upfront the type of food you are going to be offered.

The last thing we need is another place to eat bland American food. If you don't like the menu don't eat here. There are plenty of options.

Miss Heinous

If I may....

Why choose to eat here if you didn't like the looks of the menu? It's not like they are tricking you, you know upfront the type of food you are going to be offered.

The last thing we need is another place to eat bland American food. If you don't like the menu don't eat here. There are plenty of options.
I'm not asking for bland american food, and thank you for taking a condescending tone right off the bat btw. I have dined all over the world and I have to say that the food at the Skipper Canteen was the nastiest tasting food I have had in my life. I wanted to eat there because I am a huge fan of the theme and the cast members would not let us look around unless we decided to eat there. We tried it and all of the food tasted like black licorice, and everyone around us didn't like it either. I want to eat there and so do many other people but the menu lacks dishes that actually taste pleasant to people who don't have old man taste buds.

MrHappy

I'm not asking for bland american food, and thank you for taking a condescending tone right off the bat btw. I have dined all over the world and I have to say that the food at the Skipper Canteen was the nastiest tasting food I have had in my life. I wanted to eat there because I am a huge fan of the theme and the cast members would not let us look around unless we decided to eat there. We tried it and all of the food tasted like black licorice, and everyone around us didn't like it either. I want to eat there and so do many other people but the menu lacks dishes that actually taste pleasant to people who don't have old man taste buds.

I plan on going there in May so I just want to clarify (not piling on) to help set my own expectations. Are you saying that you thought the offerings on the menu looked good/great/interesting therefore you decided to visit - but the chef didn't deliver on your expectations of the meal you selected? For example, you've had ABC before and this was not nearly as good and actually very poor to you?

Or did you just have a general idea that this menu is a little more "adventurous" and perhaps ordered dishes you rarely or never eat considering your other worldly eating adventures and were dissatisfied at some of the new cuisine you had?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

LOL at the bolded bits.

I feared this problem from go. People have the "right" to eat here. They want to experience the theme, so they should get to. BUT...they also don't want to get to crazy with food, so they should serve burgers and fries. This way EVERYONE gets a chance to enjoy the restaurant.

If you don't like the menu, don't eat here. Like, for example, I tried Tangerine Cafe once. I did not like it at all. My response wasn't to complain that the food didn't suit me, my response was, I just won't eat here again because the food isn't for me. I didn't go to guest relations and try and get them to add pizza to the menu.

Miss Heinous

I plan on going there in May so I just want to clarify (not piling on) to help set my own expectations. Are you saying that you thought the offerings on the menu looked good/great/interesting therefore you decided to visit - but the chef didn't deliver on your expectations of the meal you selected? For example, you've had ABC before and this was not nearly as good and actually very poor to you?

Or did you just have a general idea that this menu is a little more "adventurous" and perhaps ordered dishes you rarely or never eat considering your other worldly eating adventures and were dissatisfied at some of the new cuisine you had?
It wasn't that it was badly prepared, it was that all of the food we had tasted incredibly bitter.
Also considering a lot of people who were in the restaurant around us were sending back food left and right, and the waiter was more than ready to take back our dishes back before we even took a bite I'd say there is a problem here. All I would like would be some new menu items that are easier to swallow, that's all (and better lighting in the SEA room of course).

Miss Heinous

LOL at the bolded bits.

I feared this problem from go. People have the "right" to eat here. They want to experience the theme, so they should get to. BUT...they also don't want to get to crazy with food, so they should serve burgers and fries. This way EVERYONE gets a chance to enjoy the restaurant.

If you don't like the menu, don't eat here. Like, for example, I tried Tangerine Cafe once. I did not like it at all. My response wasn't to complain that the food didn't suit me, my response was, I just won't eat here again because the food isn't for me. I didn't go to guest relations and try and get them to add pizza to the menu.
You don't seem to understand the problem, a majority of the people going to this restaurant are sending back their food because they cannot eat it. It is so much of a problem that waiters are not making money from tons of people walking out without eating, and something needs to change plain and simple. I'm sorry you don't like what I have to say, but it's what I experienced.

MrHappy

It wasn't that it was badly prepared, it was that all of the food we had tasted incredibly bitter.
Also considering a lot of people who were in the restaurant around us were sending back food left and right, and the waiter was more than ready to take back our dishes back before we even took a bite I'd say there is a problem here. All I would like would be some new menu items that are easier to swallow, that's all (and better lighting in the SEA room of course).
Hopefully you just caught them with the at a bad time maybe the head chef was out or something like that or an understudy prepared your dishes. I've read very good reviews about the food, so I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best! I'm actually surprised you said the service was pretty fast....that's the one complaint I've read so far is that it took a long time but the waiters were able to work around that.

ABQ

That certainly sounds peculiar and you have to think it must be an exception to the norm. If such occurrences of returning plates all around the restaurant were taking place since this place opened, it would certainly not be open any longer.

Miss Heinous

Hopefully you just caught them with the at a bad time maybe the head chef was out or something like that or an understudy prepared your dishes. I've read very good reviews about the food, so I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best! I'm actually surprised you said the service was pretty fast....that's the one complaint I've read so far is that it took a long time but the waiters were able to work around that.
Oh no the service was fine, but the food did take a good half hour to get to us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom