Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

ToTBellHop

I don't like the taste of wine. What if i cooked the pasta in the wine would you get the same result without having to consume that acrid beverage directly?
I'm not sure one who dislikes wine is allowed to judge food. Disqualified!

For the record, mac and cheese with a nice cheddar and a bit of Merlot is wonderful. Burn the alcohol off and the "acrid" liquid works very well with the cheese.

I should point out I actually don't find this restaurant's mac and cheese to sound very appetizing. But that is not due to the fact that it has a mac and cheese-base.

NearTheEars

No need to cherry pick. You just gave at least two more examples even, three for some people. From this initial offering it looks overpriced just to make people feel sophisticated.

Be one or the other but don't fail at both.

What did you order when you visited? Interested in a review of your experience.

Adam N

I always assumed the reasoning for only having artifacts in the SEA room and not the mess hall was because the skippers themselves wouldn't be adventurers. In the story of the attraction, they used to just move cargo until the railroad came in and hurt their business so they started selling guided tours. Plus it's not as if they're very knowledgeable of the nature that surrounds them, they only joke on it. Therefore they wouldn't have artifacts because they don't seem to care as much. The mess hall being their cafeteria is an open space for them to eat and kinda just take breaks. The SEA room however gets to have the artifacts in a more tasteful presentation with the masks and the butterflies. But maybe I've just got my rose tinted glasses on.

I will say the architecture style itself with the colors in the mess hall is gorgeous. Just the style of the building and everything. I love it.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Food looks and sounds great judging by reviews. I guess a majority of the time it took open was spent on construction and foundation being so close to the water because IMO, the interior design seems rather lackluster given the length it took to get this place open.

And before anybody jumps on me for saying that please note that I said, "IMO", and for what its worth I wasnt expecting to be blown away by something amazing and cutting edge either, but the whole "themed items on the wall" style of design is becoming trite. It would be nice to see a balance between the old ways and a bit of interactive elements like in Trader Sams. Nothing over the top, but its 2016 (almost) and Disney could do justa tad bit more than shadowboxes on the wall for theming. Now, Ill sit back and await my flogging for speaking out and criticizing the company.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

bhg469

Expensive yes (although typical for a park) but I'm pretty sure they aren't cooking up Kraft Mac and cheese from a blue box here.
Mac and cheese has been the trendy comfort food for some time now. There is a restaurant near me that does some of the best I have every had and they give you days worth of food. They have the same ones everyone seems to do but definitely much less expensive. They do sone really cool ones like Stuffed hot pepper, buffalo chicken, stinger (steak and chicken finger) obviously lobster because everyone else does.

I have been looking forward to this place for some time but I will definitely not be trying the mac and cheese. And I never trust reviews because I don't know the reviewer. This site gave a raving review for the boat house and I agree it's a great place but no real steak fan I know ever eats the filet. :)

ToInfinityAndBeyond

We went in on 12/18 right before MVMCP started. I predict a menu change in the next year. It's some interesting food. I got the steak with the yuca and it was pretty dang good. My wife did the dumplings and a salad for her dinner and the dumplings were definitely a bit strange compared to what we're used to. It didn't seem to be a very accessible menu, which is not a first for Disney, but even with the current offerings, I felt like they've got some changes to make before they're happy with it.

The restaurant is really cool inside and I recommend walking around the rooms and looking at all of the goodies on the walls. There are tons of puns. I would say for the money, it was not our best meal at MK or WDW overall. I'd much rather spend the same on Be Our Guest. However, it was worth it to try it.

MrHappy

Anyone get any update on ADR's? It's been pretty quiet around here about that, so do you guys know and are keeping it a secret ;)

Looks like MyDisneyExperience may be getting itself ready to "turn on" the ADR soon with some of the usual reservation functionality set up.

MrHappy

I like the guarantee of the ADR, but agree that the super advanced planning is annoying. However, to me, it's worth the hassle to know where and when you'll eat. Maybe the walk-up system will work fine, I just don't want it to turn into Applebee's on a Saturday night especially with hungry kids in tow.

DVC91

I ate here on the day after Christmas with my GF, brother, and mother. They estimated our wait time would be 20-30 min. I was impressed with the estimate considering it was dinner time, and equally impressed that we were sat in 25 min (right at the mid point of their estimate). The food wasn't exquisite, but definitely better than "good", though - and I'm not sure if this was just our server - it took nearly 35-40 minutes for our food to come out. We'd ordered when we sat down, having had time to read over the menu. It wasn't overly busy, and I've worked in restaurants so I'm aware of various goings on that could attribute to this, but food was coming out of the kitchen frequently.

We had fast passes for Space Mountain, and asked for our check when the food came out (not telling him we were in a hurry, didn't want to put it on our server when the decision to sit and eat was ours in the first place), but it took him quite some time to come back. Granted, it was all for naught because when we got to SM it had been shut down for 20 min and ended up being closed for another 1.5hrs lol.

While the second part is sort of a bonus section to the story, I'm not sure what the issue was with our food coming out in a reasonable amount of time. Not sure if anyone else had this issue

MrHappy

Would the slow entree/food service be attributed to the kitchen (perhaps newer chefs cooking newer meals), or flow/diner mismanagement - which in theory ADR's may be able to help managing? Or is there a 3rd reason?

From reading the descriptions, most dishes here seem rather complex and far from the pre-made/heat lamp entrees at some restaurants. Maybe they use chefs from Liberty Tree (don't they share a kitchen, not sure how it works back there). The food seems high quality and freshly made. With that, my thought is that the kitchen just needs to get more experienced and given some time should be able to keep the quality up along with the orders.

I would still vote for an ADR system vs walk-up.

JeffBostock

I ate here on the day after Christmas with my GF, brother, and mother. They estimated our wait time would be 20-30 min. I was impressed with the estimate considering it was dinner time, and equally impressed that we were sat in 25 min (right at the mid point of their estimate). The food wasn't exquisite, but definitely better than "good", though - and I'm not sure if this was just our server - it took nearly 35-40 minutes for our food to come out. We'd ordered when we sat down, having had time to read over the menu. It wasn't overly busy, and I've worked in restaurants so I'm aware of various goings on that could attribute to this, but food was coming out of the kitchen frequently.

We had fast passes for Space Mountain, and asked for our check when the food came out (not telling him we were in a hurry, didn't want to put it on our server when the decision to sit and eat was ours in the first place), but it took him quite some time to come back. Granted, it was all for naught because when we got to SM it had been shut down for 20 min and ended up being closed for another 1.5hrs lol.

While the second part is sort of a bonus section to the story, I'm not sure what the issue was with our food coming out in a reasonable amount of time. Not sure if anyone else had this issue

I just ate there Saturday night, Jan 2 and also had an issue with how long it took for my food to arrive. I put my name in at about 7:20pm and the estimated wait was 40 mins and got a text 30 mins later that the table was ready. So that part worked well. I went back after Wishes so got there a bit later but was seated within 10 mins. I ate solo since my wife and son were tired and had gone back to the room.

I ordered the fish collar appetizer for my meal as I wanted to save room for the kungalsoosh.

It took 40 minutes for it to come out. I was watching my watch because I wanted to head to DHS to catch the Osborne lights before the park closed. The server was aware it was taking a while and apologized after it had been 25 minutes and said mine was ready and it would be right out. 15 minutes later it still had not come out. The server said he went to the manager and said he'd give me a dessert for free and a fastpass for any attraction. So that worked out that I got the dessert I wanted to try for free, however I missed the Osborne lights as a result because they shut it down at 10pm that evening. I wanted to catch it before it was done for good, but evidently DHS shuts the lights down 1 hr before park close because it is in the fallout zone for the fireworks.

The fish collar and kungalsoosh dessert were both excellent though. They bring out free bread with a honey dipping sauce, which I thought was just OK.

So I loved my food, the server was nice but something went wrong with the process as it shouldn't have taken so long, especially after the server had told me the food was ready and it took another 15-20 minutes for it to come. I figured another server grabbed my food and took it to the wrong table.

DVC91

It took 40 minutes for it to come out. I was watching my watch because I wanted to head to DHS to catch the Osborne lights before the park closed. The server was aware it was taking a while and apologized after it had been 25 minutes and said mine was ready and it would be right out. 15 minutes later it still had not come out. The server said he went to the manager and said he'd give me a dessert for free and a fastpass for any attraction.

At least you got that. There was no acknowledgment that there was an issue with our food and if I recall correctly, we got bread somewhere around 20 min of waiting for our food. I figured it was opening week kinks and didn't complain, though if it happens more often than it doesn't, that will eventually become a problem

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom