Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Looking at these pictures, I found myself strangely disappointed that there's not a single anaconda wrapping a single chandelier... It's like the interior designer never even rode the Jungle Cruise...

But then I had a realization. If they had just called this "The Adventureland Veranda," I'd actually be a little excited about it. It's certainly an attractive design, and I'm happy for the culinary variety. But because they named it after the Jungle Cruise, my expectations were very different. To me, the Jungle Cruise is all about black humor - broken tiger cages and shrunken heads and jolly SOS signals... and the design just doesn't seem to reflect that aspect. So I suspect I just need to adjust my expectations. It sounds like most people have enjoyed the food anyway.
So you didn'rt read the back story?

The story goes that some enterprising skippers who guided your steamer along the rivers of the Jungle Cruise have opened the doors to their headquarters to feed fellow adventurers and weary travelers.

The anaconda wrapped around something is the ride, not a restaurant. Anyone expecting Adventurer's Club as well was completely deluded in thinking they were going to do that. The main room is a mess hall for goodness sakes, and looks like one - just like it is supposed to look. People really need to stop with the silly carp about what THEY thought it should be and get over it. If you don't like it, then don't go there.

note2001

The story goes that some enterprising skippers who guided your steamer along the rivers of the Jungle Cruise have opened the doors to their headquarters to feed fellow adventurers and weary travelers.

The anaconda wrapped around something is the ride, not a restaurant. Anyone expecting Adventurer's Club as well was completely deluded in thinking they were going to do that. The main room is a mess hall for goodness sakes, and looks like one - just like it is supposed to look. People really need to stop with the silly carp about what THEY thought it should be and get over it. If you don't like it, then don't go there.

Yes! I think the theme is very well done and fits in with the area well. May I add, Just because Disney chose to give a few nods back to the Adventurer's Club, it never meant they wanted to reproduce it in any form. They are just acknowledging it as having been a Disney thing.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes! I think the theme is very well done and fits in with the area well. May I add, Just because Disney chose to give a few nods back to the Adventurer's Club, it never meant they wanted to reproduce it in any form. They are just acknowledging it as having been a Disney thing.
Exactly! It seems as if some people expected this to be the Adventurer's Club reborn, and are very disappointed that it isn't.

Chris82

Wow, uncalled for.

There's nothing in that back story that suggests it's unreasonable to hope that the restaurant reflected the spirit of the ride.

And I like I said, it certainly can be appreciated for what it is nonetheless, but calling it the "Skipper's Canteen" affected my expectations.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wow, uncalled for.

There's nothing in that back story that suggests it's unreasonable to hope that the restaurant reflected the spirit of the ride.

And I like I said, it certainly can be appreciated for what it is nonetheless, but calling it the "Skipper's Canteen" affected my expectations.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh, but yes, the back story says it has nothing to do with the ride, except as the place that the jungle cruise skipper's eat. It isn't the "Jungle Cruise" canteen, where I would expect to see items reminiscent of the ride, it is the Skipper's Canteen. After riding in a boat all day, and seeing the stuff on the ride, over and over and over, why would they want to see the same stuff in their mess hall????? I wouldn't.

Uncle Lupe

Yeah, and falafel, and lamb chops, and curried vegetable stew.... Way to cherry pick to back up your narrative.

No need to cherry pick. You just gave at least two more examples even, three for some people. From this initial offering it looks overpriced just to make people feel sophisticated.

Be one or the other but don't fail at both.

Jon81uk

Lots of good reviews for the appetisers. Do you think this is Disney trying to get the people on Dining Plan to spend an extra $10?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom