Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

Rteetz

Photo from mousesteps

image.jpeg

stevehousse

What menu have you seen? Listing 4 things on a menu can't really be judged?!? Where the hell is this menu anyways?!? I don't understand the secrecy of it?!? Lol

Baloo62

I'm trying to remember...was the glass roof behind the sign always there, or is that new? I'm thinking it was already there.

t3techcom18

Well can you describe what you saw at least? It's kinda pointless to tell us it happened otherwise.

From the peeps I know over at MK, these were the things they told me:

1) Several different rooms within the restaurant, all stemming from the main dining room. The largest is definitely in the old main Veranda space. However, a lot of the space, either due to the remodeling or putting in the necessary big kitchens, has been downsized. Many of the rooms are open but still cramped in certain places. It's not as bad as some areas at BOG, but it's pretty close to that.

2) Much of the major work is done, but many of the decals/little details still need to be put in.

3) There's a storyline for every room, most of which are actually quite elaborate. The Jungle Room is definitely the best looking one thus far with the details that were there ('Tiffany-style parrot chandelier was gorgeous'), while the Adventurer's Club-style room being a treasure trove of details, some of which may or may not have continuity to some other attractions around the world.

4) The only food freebie they gave out to CM's was a falafel ball (which is apparently much, MUCH better than the one at the Mara at AKL) and a juice punch, of which my friend thought it might've been a combo between peach and mango.

5) As for the rest of the menu, they had pictures everywhere of the proposed menu items. It really does a callback to every corner of the globe, with Africa, Asia and South America distinctly represented. There was a falafel dish, a dish involving arepas, and even a dish that looked a lot like a pho noodle bowl.

6) That being said, my friend said that much of the menu was unique to that location, with exclusive items that couldn't be found in any of the other parks or resorts. To that extent, there's apparently a rumor going around that it might be more expensive than BOG, only for the reason that many of the menu items depicted were high-end (or at least high-end looking) dishes. This may be the MK's attempt at actually trying to do a semi-formal affair that has something for the adults, but has humor and warmth for the kids.

Other than that, I don't have any other details, but I'm in the same boat as everyone else: Why are they taking so long to mention anything regarding the menu or the opening date when it looks practically finished for all intensive purposes?

dizda

What has been mentioned for the menu so far sounds interesting. I wonder if they are still tweaking some items and that is why we haven't seen an actual menu yet.

MarkTwain

The opening period should be... interesting. I understand wanting the increased TSR capacity for the park during the busy season, and the park certainly needs it. But they better hope the new restaurant runs smoothly, and I can't imagine all the APs and Disney bloggers showing up to see the new restaurant will help the crowds any.

DisneyFans4Life

I don't think they'll release the menu until it's 100% complete. They've only released a few items at this point, and I don't think a "signature" restaurant like this would do well with only the items they've listed. I'd venture to say that within the next two weeks we will have a full menu to look at!

ToTBellHop

I don't think they'll release the menu until it's 100% complete. They've only released a few items at this point, and I don't think a "signature" restaurant like this would do well with only the items they've listed. I'd venture to say that within the next two weeks we will have a full menu to look at!
It's not a signature restaurant in any way, shape, or form. The menu is done, just not released. You don't just pull menu items out of a hat this close to opening.

ABQ

I think walk-ups are a terrible idea- particularly for the time of year it is going to open. Just open ADR for a week after you think it will open and allow walk-ups if you finish earlier than that. Let's get that announcement already.
It could be, though I'm no restaurateur, that they want to not only shake down the menu during this walk up period, but also gain some insight into the average time it takes to turn over a table in this place before they begin booking ADR's.

ToTBellHop

It could be, though I'm no restaurateur, that they want to not only shake down the menu during this walk up period, but also gain some insight into the average time it takes to turn over a table in this place before they begin booking ADR's.
Yes. This is how restaurants routinely open. Just because the park will be packed doesn't mean the restaurant will be. They have complete control over how many guests are in the restaurant at a given time and it gives the option to shut down for a day or two to rework if the menu is poorly received.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom