Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
It is not based on a film, but it is the same unimaginative nonsense of having to be "Disney."
Being that it's in a WDW park what should it be other than "Disney"?
Also - What sort of imaginative stuff would knock your socks off?

Only being partially snarky ;) here as I'm seriously curious as to what your answers to these questions are.

Last edited:

DocMcHulk

So I saw it reported on another site that it is confirmed that the 'Skipper's Cantina' is coming to Adventureland and it will be a restaurant themed to the nearby Jungle Cruise. The back story will be that the boat skippers needed to open the restaurant to supplement their poor income they receive from the Jungle Navigation Company.
The boat skippers needed to open the restaurant to supplement their poor income they receive from the Walt Disney Company.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
As a former Skipper who did a job that should have been a equity acting role but made $9 an hour for it, this feels like a slap on the face.

Oy. My impression mirrored your comments. How did Disney not (or not care) see how tacky that part of the back story is. It immediately slapped me upside the head as tacky and politically incorrect internally with their cast members.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I actually think it's a pretty clever idea, and I look forward to checking it out.
I agree. And they could make it more specific. Like Skipper Johnny hasn't ha too many people booking his Jungle Cruises due to "unfounded rumors of passengers being lost" that he, along with a few other skippers, openned a restaurant to supplement their incone.

It's a good bouncing off point for more specific backstories

The Duck

As a former Skipper who did a job that should have been a equity acting role but made $9 an hour for it, this feels like a slap on the face.
I understand. If this backstory about the underpaid skippers is true, it does seem a bit insensitive to the CM's even if it's supposed to be the "Jungle Navigation Co.".
I've worked at low paying jobs most of my life and I know what it's like to be mocked by management. Hopefully, they'll reconsider this angle.

dstrawn9889

I understand. If this back-story about the underpaid skippers is true, it does seem a bit insensitive to the CM's even if it's supposed to be the "Jungle Navigation Co.".
I've worked at low paying jobs most of my life and I know what it's like to be mocked by management. Hopefully, they'll reconsider this angle.
why would they, with thousands of potential cast members throwing their resumes at Casting, would they care about a few people getting angry enough to leave? ---(that is my pragmatic side talking, please don't encourage him...) there again there is no reason that a person has to stay working at the mouse(or mouschwitz, as some friends and ex-employees refer to it) there are other jobs around -- well just about anywhere.

Sped2424

really? like you were some indentured servant. Just stop.
It is kinda upsetting though. The role for the jungle cruise should be higher pay from your standard cast member, as more is expected of you. So a backstory about how broke skippers are cause they aren't paid enough when the reality of that is true is a little insulting wouldn't you think?

The Duck

why would they, with thousands of potential cast members throwing their resumes at Casting, would they care about a few people getting angry enough to leave? ---(that is my pragmatic side talking, please don't encourage him...) there again there is no reason that a person has to stay working at the mouse(or mouschwitz, as some friends and ex-employees refer to it) there are other jobs around -- well just about anywhere.
No one is required to work for Disney (or anywhere else, for that matter) but it does seem a bit insulting nevertheless.

lazyboy97o

I actually think it's a pretty clever idea, and I look forward to checking it out.
I kinda get what you are saying, but I think that having theming that connects things within a theme park land is a good think. Adventureland tends to have an issue of having too many unrelated motifs.
Being that it's in a WDW park what should it be other than "Disney"?
Also - What sort of imaginative stuff would knock your socks off?

Only being partially snarky ;) here as I'm seriously curious as to what your answers to these questions are.
I am not really against the idea itself, just the view within Disney that requires anything new in the theme parks be based on something already done. That is what I mean by something being "Disney," it is something already known.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
"Should have been"? What kind of entitled nonsense is that? I'm sure there are lines of people willing to do it for minimum wage. If you didn't like it, you were free to transfer or never take the job in the first place. I assume the expectations and compensation were clear to you when you took the position? And you AGREED to those conditions? Why would you agree to something so clearly beneath your vast talents?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom