Acronyms

Pepper's Ghost

On this forum, I never saw it as "Insiders vs Outsiders", but more like "Lazy People vs People Who Like to Type"

Count me in the lazy category!

LOL! :lol: I'd like to think that's the main reason, and I'm sure for many it is. I haven't been around too long, but I purposely type most things out, or abbreviate so the meaning is obvious and many times it's as if "insiders" ignore posts of "outsiders". Just seems sophomoric if that's the reason.

I agree with most who've posted in this thread though. Typing a couple of words out completely takes milliseconds since most people type fairly quickly these days, but stopping, opening up another window, finding the acronyms page, and looking up the acronym takes minutes. It's just a pain for what should be an enjoyable outlet. I usually skip over acronym-laden posts if they are not obvious and I can't figure it out after two seconds.

CoffeeJedi

I think that thread starters should write out the full terms, and anyone who introduces a new term to a thread should do the same. However, after that, acronyms are cool.

Some of them are pretty unambiguous though. PotC, HM, MK, ToT, and now even TDO are pretty obvious.

The one that kills me is SM. Splash Mountain? Space Mountain?

Tigger1988

It's not about Insiders v. outsiders.

I'm friends with a few CMs and even they admit that the goal is to shorten park names and attractions as much as possible when talking to one another.

Xethis

Just my writing style, but usually I write everything out. If I do use an acronym, it is usually after I have typed it out in full a few times in the same article. That way it's fresh in the readers mind. But thats just me.

NeriBeri

Ooo! Is this where I add that I absolutely loathe the "DH", "DW," "DD", "DS", "DF" stuff?

The creepiness factor of these terms gives me the heebie-jeebies. How often does one really say, "My dear husband and I..." and the "D" for Disney isn't much better.

Reading it is as unpleasant as picking my teeth with tin foil.

/shudder

NORMNB8S

Ooo! Is this where I add that I absolutely loathe the "DH", "DW," "DD", "DS", "DF" stuff?

The creepiness factor of these terms gives me the heebie-jeebies. How often does one really say, "My dear husband and I..." and the "D" for Disney isn't much better.

/shudder

I concur about the DH, DW, etc. Just strange to me. But, to each his/her own.

CoffeeJedi

/shudder
THIS.
A THOUSAND TIMES, THIS.

I don't know where the trend started, but I don't like it either. Makes me think the person's family is dead and preserved in the basement or something. :hurl:

Even in conversation I don't like saying "my wife". If it's someone I don't know, I'll say, "my wife Mary Sue..." then refer to her as Mary Sue for the rest of the conversation. She does have an identity outside of our marriage after all.

Though "my wife" or "DW" is still not as bad as a former coworker who constantly referred to his spouse as "the wife". No name, just an object: "the wife". I don't think I ever once heard him use her actual name.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Can anybody help with this one? STOLport area. An acronym merged with a full word? My head is going to explode!
That is not an internet forum initialism. It is an acronym used in aviation to indicate a short take off and landing airport.

Pepper's Ghost

I think that thread starters should write out the full terms, and anyone who introduces a new term to a thread should do the same. However, after that, acronyms are cool.

I completely agree with this! This practice is used in modern journalism. If you say "we went on Splash Mount first, then rushed to Pirates of the Carib afterwards. After riding PotC a few times, we headed back to SplM".... I think this is completely acceptable, and makes perfect sense. At least most of us will understand. Honestly, I'm sure many people would've known PotC immediately, but it doesn't mean that others would. That's just my 2¢ anyway. The example I gave above wouldn't send ANYONE to the acronym page.

/shudder

I've seen this on these forums before and I appreciate that people are completely in love with their spouses, but to call them your DH or DW just seems so outdated and borderline creepy. It's just so weird to hear someone refer to the sig other as "Dear" these days. But hey, to each his/her own.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
So we've gone from the insider/outsider argument to people are lazy onto people are creepy? I'm not sure it's those whom use acronyms that are having the issue here....

Pepper's Ghost

That is not an internet forum initialism. It is an acronym used in aviation to indicate a short take off and landing airport.

Master Yoda, credit I must give you for your proper terminology. Acronyms call them we do, when in fact initialisms they are.

Scuba, radar, and laser are acronyms. POTC is an initialism. Just wanted to give props where they're due.

Pepper's Ghost

So we've gone from the insider/outsider argument to people are lazy onto people are creepy? I'm not sure it's those whom use acronyms that are having the issue here....

Nah, no issues here. I guess I wouldn't say that people are creepy for saying "dear wife" or "dear husband" (although I did say borderline creepy), but it's dated terminology. And to use an initialism to refer to an outdated term just seems a little strange, that's all. I'm not saying it's wrong. Just different. You don't agree? Nothing wrong if you don't.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Nah, no issues here. I guess I wouldn't say that people are creepy for saying "dear wife" or "dear husband" (although I did say borderline creepy), but it's dated terminology. And to use an initialism to refer to an outdated term just seems a little strange, that's all. I'm not saying it's wrong. Just different. You don't agree? Nothing wrong if you don't.

Well, when it comes to what terms people use to describe their family members, I try to abdicate passing judgment.

And as for outdated initialisms, there's still plenty out there (various sports are full of them), so it doesn't really bother me. The fact is this forum, like many others, has it's own set of acronyms and unique language idiosyncrasies. But they're not hidden or kept behind a wall either. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom