Acronyms

Hrudey3032

rgds is regards....it is a texting abbreviation.

Yes we know but the point was the OP said he didn't understand why we can't take a extra 5 seconds to type out the whole word but then follows it up with a acronym of his own. :shrug: Makes no sense to complain about something only to follow your complaint up by doing exactly what your complaining about.

Javier Boughton

Original Poster
so people..5 seconds more per post is not that bad..and it really really helps us out, and what is more important, it would deliver a more clear message of what everyone is posting, commenting, describing etc. accessing the acronyms page (which ive use but is not 100% complete) takes time.

and not because some of us have few post means that we are newbies, ive been reading wdwmagic for a long long time..

Hrudey3032

so people..5 seconds more per post is not that bad..and it really really helps us out, and what is more important, it would deliver a more clear message of what everyone is posting, commenting, describing etc. accessing the acronyms page (which ive use but is not 100% complete) takes time.

and not because some of us have few post means that we are newbies, ive been reading wdwmagic for a long long time..

So why did you use a acronym in your original post complaining about it? :hammer: That is what makes no sense to me at all.

Evil Genius

I've always used the acronym because it seemed like it was the "norm" on these or any other Disney boards. I try not to over use them though because I know they can be confusing.

I think I'm going to make a concerted effort to STOP using acronyms!

Who's with me?

deltableh

I don't post often, but I read a lot, and I have to say, some of the acronyms used here are cryptic. I do appreciate when people take the time to spell things out. And it doesn't have to be the full and proper name... if you say "We went on Buzz Lightyear" I think we'll all understand what you mean, but you avoid leaving a bunch of people, as others have stated, scratching their heads.

Yankee Mouse

is it me, or i just cant keep up with new acronyms..

people..you'll invest 5 seconds more per post and it would make life easier for everyone if we put the complete name

just a thought

rgds!!!

really? really? You are going to complain about that and then do it in the same post? Sounds like a troll looking to cause a stir to me.

as common as you may think "rgds" is at the end of a text, others who frequent here may think BTMRR, TDO (although I had to look this one up), SM, SE, MK, AK, DHS, etc. are just as common to use here.

RiversideBunny

They are not really acronyms but I don't like the terms 'ressie' and 'poly'.
Sounds like a child or like someone using pig latin, IMHO.
Just a personal thing.

'Reservation' and 'Polynesian' are good.
Carry on.
:)

BrerFrog

You will get the hang of it. When I started reading the forums it took me a while to figure out what TDO, MILF, HoP, DVC, CBJ and many others meant, but now I am used to it.

It is all a matter of time. :)

y2jb78

is it me, or i just cant keep up with new acronyms..

people..you'll invest 5 seconds more per post and it would make life easier for everyone if we put the complete name

just a thought

rgds!!!

I think the original poster might have been trying to be ironic there. Just to show how annoying it can be and to inject a little humor.

For the life of me, I could not figure out what DD, DH, DS, etc. meant. I finally had to ask someone.

On the plus side, after months of wondering I now know what TDO means!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Initialisms and acronyms (most used on this board are actually initialisms) are a part of every discussion board regardless of the subject. If you go to an overclocking forum you will hear things like BSOD and FSB, a gaming forum will use ones like RROD and FPS. Even our own daily language contains acronyms and initialisms. Do you say self contained underwater breathing apparatus, light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation or information technology? Most opt for the much simpler scuba, laser and IT.

Initialisms and acronyms have been around since language itself and are not going anywhere anytime soon. Once you have been here for a while you do not even notice them.

NORMNB8S

Initialisms and acronyms (most used on this board are actually initialisms) are a part of every discussion board regardless of the subject. If you go to an overclocking forum you will hear things like BSOD and FSB, a gaming forum will use ones like RROD and FPS. Even our own daily language contains acronyms and initialisms. Do you say self contained underwater breathing apparatus, light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation or information technology? Most opt for the much simpler scuba, laser and IT.

Initialisms and acronyms have been around since language itself and are not going anywhere anytime soon. Once you have been here for a while you do not even notice them.

Agreed!

MKCP 1985

my least favorites because I just can't remember them are BW and BWV.

I can't help but think "Best Western" everytime it pops up.

Maybe because I typed this out, I will defeat this acronym non-recognition problem.

Seriously, is it that hard to type out Boardwalk or Boardwalk Villas? :lookaroun

Boardwalk is one word anyway, so BW is not a good acronym, but "B" would just be silly. :hammer:

WorldKey

You are correct about words like laser, and scuba....these however are so common in our everyday language that we know what they are from a young age and do not have to break them down to their element everytime we read these words. If this was a technical subject site it might also be more acceptable to see many acronyms. But this is a casual site about entertainment with hopefully new members discovering it every day. I've been reading the forums here for over a year and I have to often get out the 'cheat sheet'.....which I don't like doing and usually just move on.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
my least favorites because I just can't remember them are BW and BWV.

I can't help but think "Best Western" everytime it pops up.

Maybe because I typed this out, I will defeat this acronym non-recognition problem.

Seriously, is it that hard to type out Boardwalk or Boardwalk Villas? :lookaroun

Boardwalk is one word anyway, so BW is not a good acronym, but "B" would just be silly. :hammer:
Bordwelk
Bradwalk
Fordwalk

Nope can't do it.:D

cblodg

My biggest issue with the over abundant use of acronyms and abbreviations is that the scant few seconds saved by the writer either leaves the reader scratching their head wondering what the writer meant or they simply ignore the post entirely.

If it isn't important enough to the writer to spell properly or write out in full what they are talking about why should the reader take any of it seriously?

^^^
This! I cannot tell you how often I sit there wracking my brain trying to figure out some of these acronyms. By the time I'm done, I just give up on the post and move on.

devoy1701

^^^
This! I cannot tell you how often I sit there wracking my brain trying to figure out some of these acronyms. By the time I'm done, I just give up on the post and move on.

just think of it like a game to keep your mind at the top of it's game. like a crytoquip!

cblodg

just think of it like a game to keep your mind at the top of it's game. like a crytoquip!

I guess, but I tend to get annoyed by those too. Chalk it up to being lazy or what not.

Some I get easily now, HISTA, HM, BLT (3 meanings, 1 non-disney), MSEP, SM (2 meanings) and many more. but I do admit to asking what TDO was. I now have two answers; The Disney organization or Team Disney Orlando. I'm going with Team Disney Orlando. From day one I knew what WDI was.

luckyeye13

For my part, where practical, I tend to use the full name (or at least a recognizable name) of something (park, resort, ride, building, etc.) the first time around in a post (or a thread, if it is not my first post in it), then use the abbreviation the rest of the time. This way, it is easy to figure out what I am talking about because I already referenced it. So, for example, I might write out Disney's Hollywood Studios once in a post, then use DHS the rest of the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom