Accident at Disneyland (CA)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
here's all I could find on the cast portal

Big Thunder Update (9/5)
Date: 09/05/2003
An incident occurred at approximately 11:30 this morning on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland Park. About 10 to 12 people were injured and taken to various local hospitals. Anaheim Fire Department, Anaheim Police Department and Department of Occupation, Safety and Health are all on the scene. The attraction is closed while those agencies investigate the incident. More developments will be released as they become available.

Shaman

All this is just crazy...I was shocked when i first heard. This is going to affect Disney in so many ways....I wonder if the recent cutbacks affected maintainance in anyway. This is sad...I am speechless and truly dissapointed...this certainly isn't Walt's Disney any longer.

:(

mr snrub

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD/ALLAH/BUDDAH/MAO, IT WAS REALLY JUST AN ACCIDENT. Stuff like this happens all the time. THis could have been cause by anything, and it could have been caused by something beyond Disney's control. I think this will turn out fine. Hey, this could be a mixed blessing. I dont know how, but it very well could end out as one.

Figaro

I guess in this case the man will be declared dead on Disney property considering his body is still there. The whole thing is so tragic :(

FROM CNN.COM:

ANAHEIM, California (AP) -- -- A locomotive broke loose from a train on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster Friday, killing a man and injuring 10 other riders, officials said.

The man died inside a tunnel section of the ride, and his body remained there for the investigation, said city spokesman John Nicoletti. He was not immediately identified.

Eight of the injured, ranging in age from 9 to 47, were taken to the hospital, while two others were treated at the scene, Nicoletti said. One of those taken to the hospital had moderate injuries, while the other cases were considered minor, he said.

The accident took place inside a tunnel section of the ride, but exactly what happened was unclear, said police Sgt. Rick Martinez.

The roller coaster takes people on a twisting, turning ride aboard what is supposed to be a runaway train in the Old West. Riders zoom around outdoors past falling rocks and tumbling waterfalls, occasionally entering tunnels designed to look like mineshafts and caverns.

The attraction, which opened in 1979, can carry as many as 32 people. The ride is computer-controlled, and the operator does not ride aboard the train.

"On behalf of the entire cast of the Disneyland Resort we are shocked and saddened," said Cynthia Harris, president of Disneyland Resort.

GaryT977

What really threw me was when Wolf Blitzer was reporting this story on CNN, he asked the reporter circling in the chopper if anyone had died at DL before. The reporter said something to the effect of 'Unfortunately yes, this has happened before more than once".

I guess I'm just naive, but I don't remember ever reading a story about a someone dying on a DL (or WDW) attraction before. Disturbing. :(

degunter

Originally posted by GaryT977
What really threw me was when Wolf Blitzer was reporting this story on CNN, he asked the reporter circling in the chopper if anyone had died at DL before. The reporter said something to the effect of 'Unfortunately yes, this has happened before more than once".

I guess I'm just naive, but I don't remember ever reading a story about a someone dying on a DL (or WDW) attraction before. Disturbing. :(

Try this site..... very informative...

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.htm

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
and that's just guest deaths that they have found out about... i'm sure theres more guest deaths out there.. as well as countless CM deaths

2 more guest deaths and 1 rather grisly CM death that I know about. Only know of 2 CM deaths at DL. There may be more, but I haven't worked there in a decade. Remember folks that the majority of deaths at DL are guest errors due to disregard for safety rules and spiels. Unfortunately, in the case today, the injuries were caused by a breakdown somewhere, not guest error.:(

FutureCEO

there was this guy stupid enough to jump out of Splash Mt...thats all i know....this is terrible for the families and you can expect disney to be sued, im not sure if they will find disney at fault though...i dunno...didn't BTMRR go on a rehab not too long ago their...however i dont think disney is at fault

Gregory

So, this isn't the first guy to die not on by his own fault...

And wow- they sure updated that page quick to add Splash Mountain...

Grad Night seems to be the deadliest night in the parks...

Joalovar

Originally posted by objr
All this is just crazy...I was shocked when i first heard. This is going to affect Disney in so many ways....I wonder if the recent cutbacks affected maintainance in anyway. This is sad...I am speechless and truly dissapointed...this certainly isn't Walt's Disney any longer.

:(

Mee too, I'm truly sad. And yes, it will affect Disney, but we have to be positive regardlees this unfortunate accident.

This is not the first time it happened at Disney and certainly it wont be the last.

Im going next monday to WDW and I'll ride the attractions with the same level of trust as usual, because accidents no matter what, THEY DO HAPPEN sooner or later, even at Disney.

This is very sad, let's pray for all the victims and their families.

P.S. This is odd, all this time I was dissapointed because BTTRM will still under rehab at the MK during my honeymoon trip, but with this unfortunate incident, now I realize that even without the rehab, Disney would shut down the acttraction for sure.

GaryT977

Originally posted by Gregory
So, this isn't the first guy to die not on by his own fault...

And wow- they sure updated that page quick to add Splash Mountain...

Grad Night seems to be the deadliest night in the parks...

Well, considering the number of guests that have gone through DL since 1955, that's an incredibly low number, and all but two the result of guest actions.

Still, the last thing you want to worry about on a Disney vacation is whether you're going to come out of it alive and injury-free. :(

Dwarful

This is very sad, I love BTM. I am not jumping on any bandwagon yet as I think it will take a great deal of time and investigation to see what really caused this accident.

I think its important to remember that things like this do happen, yes even at Disney parks. They can happen anywhere, about 2 years ago the train at the St.Louis Zoo jumped the tracks on a downhill curve and the engineer died in that accident with many passengers hurt. They modified the trains and they are still running. So no matter how simple or complicated rides may be, there will always be a chance for an accident.

eclipseSD

For those curious as to why these tragedies happen and what the response usually is by Disney, I suggest you read "Mouse Tales".

Disney will most likely be sued, and no matter who or what is responsible, they will settle out of court. As most here know, Disney doesn't like bad press, especially lawsuits filed against them. They do not want this to go to court under any circumstances. Again, this leads me to believe they will give the family(ies) whatever they ask for. Most likely it will be a cash settlement in the 6-7 digit range.

As for cause, it could be anything: Passenger Misconduct, Computer Error, Employee Error, Brake Error, Track Error, Foreign Objects on Track, etc. Nobody should jump to conclusions until we can get a more detailed report/story, than what is currently being circulated.

SewIn2Disney

Originally posted by eclipseSD
For those curious as to why these tragedies happen and what the response usually is by Disney, I suggest you read "Mouse Tales".

That is sooo weird. I was just about to suggest the same thing. I guess it just took me 15 minutes longer to get through all 14 pages of posts than you.

For anyone interested, "Mouse Tales" is a wonderful book by David Koenig that tells about everything that has gone wrong in the Disneyland resort. Its a very old book so it doesn't include many recent incidents, but reading about some of the old stuff is pretty interesting.

Woody13

Originally posted by SewIn2Disney
That is sooo weird. I was just about to suggest the same thing. I guess it just took me 15 minutes longer to get through all 14 pages of posts than you.

For anyone interested, "Mouse Tales" is a wonderful book by David Koenig that tells about everything that has gone wrong in the Disneyland resort. Its a very old book so it doesn't include many recent incidents, but reading about some of the old stuff is pretty interesting.

Do they sell "Mouse Tales" at the Disney Store?

SewIn2Disney

No, actually the book is now out of publication. I was able to call the company a few years ago and was able to order a copy. My library had it and I checked it out every other week, so my mom finally bought me a copy. It is one of my prized possessions.

You might be able to find yourself a copy at your library, ebay or half.com. Half.com is really great, they have a ton of Disney books dirt cheap, and the selection is changing daily, so keep checking back if they don't have it right now.

Here is the ISBN number to help u.
0-9640605-6-6

Let me know if u have any questions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom