Accident at Disneyland (CA)

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by JRead
I feel like there's a lot of confused news coverage right now. It started as a derailment, but that seems not the case, they're also saying the train sections detached from each other, but how bad could that be? Unless it rolled backwards into another coaster.

Either way this is no good at all!!! Sorry for not being possitive...

westie

Chill Out! Your more likely to get bit by a shark than be injured at any Disney theme park. Now, stop being so :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

foxfire

I don't see how Disney can cover this one up...usually things like this are down-played. Granted, they're not hiding anything, though it's unusual to hear specifics when themepark accidents occur, Disney or elsewhere.

Gregory

Originally posted by JRead
I feel like there's a lot of confused news coverage right now. It started as a derailment, but that seems not the case, they're also saying the train sections detached from each other, but how bad could that be? Unless it rolled backwards into another coaster.

Well, if they came apart, the main train could have helped balance it... with a hidden rail it runs on, etc...

If it came apart, going around a corner could make it lose its balance...

foxfire

Depends on what caused the accident...you would think there would be some sort of fail safe system present.

I remember last year I was on R&R @ MGM, and they didn't use a good # of rows in one car b/c the restraints weren't locking.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by westie
Chill Out! Your more likely to get bit by a shark than be injured at any Disney theme park. Now, stop being so :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

I guess you are right.... :animwink: still sad....

mac388

Originally posted by dopey
In this day and age, it's almost certain there will be a lawsuit filed.

I wonder, though, about the man who died of a heart attack. To be sure, nobody would ever think that a Disney train ride would derail, but aren't there signs warning that people who have heart conditions should not ride? It's possible that the man didn't know he had a heart condition. I'm just thinking out loud.

The press will make a big deal out of a fatality at Disneyland because it's an extremeley unique story. You don't see a whole lot of page one stories or wall-to-wall TV coverage about things being "normal."

I think you're right, that there are signs saying people with heart conditions shouldn't ride-but a lot of people don't know and/or are in denial about their health conditions. The person might not have known. It's also a scary situation-I can guarantee that I'd have a panic attack if I were on a ride and it did something it wasn't supposed to-I mean, I get panicky every time the subway stops between stations!!

Yeah, it is Disney so it's a big thing. On the other hand, MSNBC had their cameras on Six Flags that time people were trapped on the rollercoaster, for hours! I think they were bored.

This is a stretch here, but I think it's so funny that Bush announced his speech date re: Iraq right after the Disney thing happened! Maybe it's because I just finished the Mike Eisner book today where he talks about how he's buddy-buddy with the Bushes.

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by mac388

Yeah, it is Disney so it's a big thing. On the other hand, MSNBC had their cameras on Six Flags that time people were trapped on the rollercoaster, for hours! I think they were bored.

Thats because WRC-TV (NBC4!) had their helicopter just hovering overhead and watched it. It was a long event on an otherwise boring news day. Oddly, it wasnt worth more than a 1:30 package on the local news up here. This is something that there are no visuals for. Nothing except for a stopped train on the tracks on a pretty busy news day.. thankfully. Hopefully it will get lost in the mix.

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
I for one am glad it happened

Before you call me a heartless *Insert word here*, hear me out.

With WDWs TM being shut down right now, this can give us time to look at it what caused the train to jump the track then see if its possible for it to happen here. Obviously it can but we can now look into looking at the track to see what can be done to prevent it here. Get what Im saying?

JRead

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
This is something that there are no visuals for. Nothing except for a stopped train on the tracks on a pretty busy news day.. thankfully. Hopefully it will get lost in the mix.

Why should this get "lost in the mix"?

Pippa

Well for now lets just be thinking of the family and friends of this poor guy and the injured.

But I sure want to know what happened..................

Disneyfalcon

"This is a stretch here, but I think it's so funny that Bush announced his speech date re: Iraq right after the Disney thing happened! Maybe it's because I just finished the Mike Eisner book today where he talks about how he's buddy-buddy with the Bushes."
-Mac388

Hmmm. That may be a stretch, but it certainly did change the focus of CNN and MSNBC!
:lookaroun

JRead

Originally posted by X2CommNavISTC

With WDWs TM being shut down right now, this can give us time to look at it what caused the train to jump the track then see if its possible for it to happen here. Obviously it can but we can now look into looking at the track to see what can be done to prevent it here. Get what Im saying?

I could understand that statement if this had happend with an empty ride but someone DIED. this has no preventative value, it can only potentially stop a recurrance. and I hope I am misinterpreting your "happen here" and that you do not mean that its better it happend in CA than FL.

JeepGuy77

Originally posted by Thrawn
Uhm, they do have maintanence checks ... things can go wrong no matter how well they check, lets wait and see what happened before we pass judgement on what happened, it could be some freak occurance.

I wonder if they shut down BTM at WDW just in case?

actually Big Thunder at WDW is down for a 3 month rehab anyway.

Everyone calm down, no need to get at eachother's throats. This is a very unfortunate incident that no one ever expected. Like stated before, this ride is a machine. Machines dont run themselves and arent 100% perfect, things go wrong. Accidents happen. I hope this doesnt affect the parks too much more than it already has. Disneys drop in attendance is bad enough already.

mac388

Originally posted by X2CommNavISTC

I get what you're saying, but in a perfect world we would focus on preventative medicine, not saying that people dying is what it takes to open our eyes. In this case, we still don't know what happened, so we can't say that it was specifically a safety lapse.

Your comment, however, reminds me of the people who say that if 9/11 never happened we would have never seen the loopholes in our security system. I can't justify deaths that way.

meekoman

I have to agree with wdwmagic. I work in aviation manufacturer and stress and fatigue are often very hard to detect and can happen at any time. That train could have been inspected that morning before the park opened, but things can go wrong at any time with no prior warning. At this time we don't know what happened and we won't until the train and the track are investigated. So at this time, I don't think it is wise to make our own conclusions on what happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom