Accident at Disneyland (CA)

tinkerbell1983

How on earth can you relate the fact that Thunder mountain at WDW being closed to the accident today. For beginner, the one at WDW closed last week, not for mechanical reasons, but to touch up paint, props etc. If there was any danger why would they only shut the one at WDW down, and not the one in California??? I wish we could all stop bickering at each other, and take a moment to think about the poor families affected by this tragic accident. Imagine being on vacation and having such a tragedy happen at the happiest place on earth. I will keep them in my prayers.

Originally posted by tinkerbell1983
How on earth can you relate the fact that Thunder mountain at WDW being closed to the accident today. For beginner, the one at WDW closed last week, not for mechanical reasons, but to touch up paint, props etc. If there was any danger why would they only shut the one at WDW down, and not the one in California??? I wish we could all stop bickering at each other, and take a moment to think about the poor families affected by this tragic accident. Imagine being on vacation and having such a tragedy happen at the happiest place on earth. I will keep them in my prayers.
Amen to that!

God, this is so sad. I never thought something like this could happen to disney.:cry:

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Im not relating the two in any way for Gods sake.

All Im saying is that now that its shut down, we could look at what caused the derailment and then see what we at WDW could do to possibly keep this from happening again.

And at the time I made my first post, I wasnt aware that the guy had died from the injury.

As a former CM/manager at DL, I could go on and on about some of the events that have occured at DL without general public knowledge. However, I love Disney and all I will say is that I am not surprised to hear about the derailment.

Sorry to be so cryptic.:(

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by UncleJeet
Hrmmm, I don't think so. Keep in mind that BTM is a top-wheeled coaster, there's no undercarriage or under-wheels keeping it secured to the railing (as far as I know.) Say you load the back 5 cars very heavy people and seat them all on the right side. you have a recipe for a derailment.

Physics are extremely important in roller coasters. With more modern designs, most of these things have been addressed. If you load a train too light, it might experience too much loss and not be able to complete the circuit. We have accellerators today that compensate for this. Load a train too heavy, and your speeds may become too great - but today we have brake systems in place. We also have steel coasters with wheels on the top AND wheels on the bottom, which keeps things like nasty lateral forces from tipping the cars off the rails, and allows for high vertical forces without fear of the car hopping off the rails.

I'd say that, if poor loading or CM negligence was involved that it was most likely complicated by something else, like one of the things you mentioned, in order to cause this to happen.

Perhaps a train was a bit overloaded and heavy, which put too much of a strain on the joining bits of the cars and the locomotive, which were getting a little long in the tooth and barely met safety regulations - that sort of thing.

Or maybe it was just a fluke. Act of God, sort of thing.

UncleJeet

I hate to bash people on these boards but the time has come......Are you a complete moron???? Of course there are wheels on the underside of the track holding the cars on. I don't think it is possible to make a coaster without wheels on top and bottom without it flying off the track. That's just common sense. The rides are also designed to handle all different types of load berings. The trains should run smoothly with no passengers in it and with it filled to maximum capacity. If a passanger fell out because their lapbar wasn't all the way down then I would say it was CM negligence. But you're saying its probably the CM's fault that the train flew off the track. That might be the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. I think you need to do a little more research on coasters before you make anymore comments. (Sorry for the rant everyone)

KathyG/poohbear

This is my first time on the board in a long time. I have to say I am very sad for the family of the deceased and the injuried as well as the people who witnessed this event.

I like. many of you above have always trusted Disney to the max and in fact it is the only place I ride thrill rides. I do not remember anything like this ever happening at Disneyland or WDW. I know there have been freak accidents and people have been hurt and even killed but nothing where a train may have came apart or derailed. I appreciate the fact that it could happen anywhere and maybe Disney has always been lucky and they were due but it is still very sad and hard for me to accept. I also appreciate the post above talking about stress on metal and the scientific aspect but still, a rollercoaster had a horrible accident and this time it was in a Disney park.

How anyone could worry about how this will affect attendance, or talk about Bush and Eisner being pals or hope that the media doesn't give it much time or talk about Fox news...I personally don't know. Right now, is not the time to worry about how this affects Disney or any of us.

PS: I also have to say...when it says not to ride if you have a heart condition, it means don't ride under normal circumstances...not because the rollercoaster may jump the track.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
All I can say is wow. Not that it happened (in fact, I'm not surprised that it hadn't happened earlier, given my personal experiences have to deal with Disney's lack of timely maintenance), but that several people here are reacting so childish and defensively to something they had nothing to do with. I've warned many times about Disney's lack of maintenance, as well as cast training going downhill (along with the quality of the cast), and just quality going down. The Disney we now have is nothing more than a regular theme park, albeit with a premium brand, and a well themed veneer.

Those are my thoughts. I'm sorry I was so cold. Yes someone died unnecessarily, and odds are that it could be prevented. But I know how Disney works.... and it isn't all Pixie dust.

Go ahead and comment what you want. Just realize this: Even though you may disagree with me, I am not wrong.

prberk

Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
I hate to bash people on these boards but the time has come......Are you a complete moron???? Of course there are wheels on the underside of the track holding the cars on. I don't think it is possible to make a coaster without wheels on top and bottom without it flying off the track. That's just common sense. The rides are also designed to handle all different types of load berings. The trains should run smoothly with no passengers in it and with it filled to maximum capacity. If a passanger fell out because their lapbar wasn't all the way down then I would say it was CM negligence. But you're saying its probably the CM's fault that the train flew off the track. That might be the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. I think you need to do a little more research on coasters before you make anymore comments. (Sorry for the rant everyone)

Hey Disneyfan, I understand your overall sentiment, but I have to point out that the engineers (imagineers) and daily ride inspectors are ultimately "castmembers" also, so it is possible to have been a castmember's ultimate failure.

But overall, I agree with Steve and others on this board... that is, that it is unfortunate and perhaps due to metal fatigue that is very hard to foresee.

Anyway, it is very unfortunate..

djmatthews

This is a tragic event! I doubt that Disney ever comprimise safety of its guests and cast members. This was an unfortuate accident - it may have been something more sinister - but lets not specualte. Unfortunatly accidents do happen, how many car crashes happen every day? We will still carry on driving, ok, not the best comparison.

What happened at DisneyLand today was an unfortuate accident. Rather than arguning amousgt ourselves, speculating and blaming, our thoughts (and prayers for those that pray) should go out to the family and friends of the deceased, and to those that are injured, and we wish them a speedy recovery.

mkt

Premium Member
oh yeah, a bit off topic, but we're having an AIM chat right now to discuss this tragedy. If you want in, send me an IM or merge into the chat titled: 'all I can say is wow'

everyone is welcome

RMJKS05

Apparently...

...Incidents like this, happen more often than the general public is aware of - http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/602899.asp - Very interesting article.

How many of you knew in November of 2000, a guest was killed on the Splash Mountain ride when he inexplicably removed himself from the water ride at Disneyworld while it was still moving. The cause of death was ruled rider misconduct. Nonetheless, the death was unreported.

I too am guilty of trusting Disney beyond reproach with regards to ride safety. Why? - Because up until today I've never heard of any accidents at any of their parks.

mkt

Premium Member
Re: Apparently...

Originally posted by RMJKS05
Why? - Because up until today I've never heard of any accidents at any of their parks.

send me an IM. I'll tell you of at least 20.

Natelox

I am very sad to hear about this, BUT all of you are doing EXACTLY what the media is trying to get you to do. IT IS DISGUSTING, ESSPICALLY "The_CEO". You make it say things like "disney is slipping", "this is the end of disney" and stuff like that. GEEZ, it's not. The_Ceo has said DUMB things like "disney doesn't maintain their rides" etc.. OF COURSE THEY DO. They are required by LAW to inspect their rides. <A HREF=http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/6616540.htm>Here</A> is an interview with inspectors who inspect rides at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Note they start their work at 4am. They say it takes them 6 hours to inspect a roller coaster...and i would only assume disney does atleast that if not more. I'm not sure if the people would be allowed to sue because on the back of most tickets it says something like "The park is not responislbe for any loss or injury while in the park".

<FONT SIZE=30>Disney won't crumble because of this accident

Originally posted by prberk
And, we should not forget that right now WDW is also in a "danger zone," as the hurricane is going over Florida...

(I wonder if WDW's Night of Joy tonight is cancelled, BTW, due to weather?)

There is no hurricane. There is a tropical storm in the gulf just off of Tampa. I was at DAK all day and not a drop of rain.

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by Natelox
They are required by LAW to inspect their rides.

laws vary state by state. In most states there is actually no law regulating theme park attractions, rather the maintenance is up to the company. Fl has no laws regarding it... I'm not sure about Cali

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by Mary Poppins
There is no hurricane. There is a tropical storm in the gulf just off of Tampa. I was at DAK all day and not a drop of rain.

it was bright and sunny today.. not a cloud in the sky. Birds were chirping too..

degunter

Re: Apparently...

Originally posted by RMJKS05
...Incidents like this, happen more often than the general public is aware of - http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/602899.asp - Very interesting article.

How many of you knew in November of 2000, a guest was killed on the Splash Mountain ride when he inexplicably removed himself from the water ride at Disneyworld while it was still moving. The cause of death was ruled rider misconduct. Nonetheless, the death was unreported.

I too am guilty of trusting Disney beyond reproach with regards to ride safety. Why? - Because up until today I've never heard of any accidents at any of their parks.

FYI, the incident at WDW's Splash Mountain was heavily reported here in Florida. I would agree that "incidents" go unreported all the time, but anytime there is a death (at least here in Florida) I hear about it.... even if it is a suicide or just a body being found on WDW Property.

Also, the storm moving across Florida right now is JUST a Tropical Storm and is actually a very weak one at that. We typically experience more severe afternoon thunderstorms daily. The Hurricane that "shut down" WDW was Hurricane Floyd and was a massive storm, nothing in comparison to Tropical Storm Henri.

Just thought I would add my two cents...

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Natelox
I am very sad to hear about this, BUT all of you are doing EXACTLY what the media is trying to get you to do

Yesssssss. the BIG BAD EVIL MEDIA is trying to brainwash all of you!!! Hahahahahahaha :drevil:

:rolleyes: :lol: :p ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom