Accident at Disneyland (CA)

dopey

1 Dies, 10 Injured in Disneyland Accident
By Dan Weikel and Daryl Strickland, Times Staff Writers

ANAHEIM — A car filled with riders broke loose from a locomotive on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction today, killing one person and injuring 10 others before the runaway car stopped inside a dark tunnel.

Authorities said the accident occurred about 11:20 a.m. as a small red engine with four open rail cars sped through the faux desert landscape and headed up an incline.

One person was fatally injured as the car parted from the train and rolled back down the grade and into a tunnel, where riders were temporarily trapped.

Officials said one person went into cardiac arrest and was taken to UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange, where he was pronounced dead. In addition, a 22-year-old man with facial injuries was listed in serious condition, according to Marcida Dodson, a hospital spokeswoman.

Five others — two adults and three children ranging in age from 9 to 16 — were taken to the medical center with minor injuries.

Authorities set up a staging and treatment area near the River Belle Terrace, which is not far from the entrance to Big Thunder Mountain.

The popular Frontierland attraction is built around the idea of an Old West mine train that becomes a runaway as it speeds through desert buttes and mountain tunnels.

bdhowell

I feel really bad about the people involved in the BTMR accident. Everyone must remember that rides are machienes, and accidents do happen. The Disney Co. is the last company that wants injuries and deaths to happen to its guests. I feel just aweful, and truly sad. :(

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by UncleJeet
Excellent comparison. However, if safety and maintenance inspections are detailed and consistent, and the stresses of the coaster are known within a margin of error, then one can reasonably detect when a part is becoming too worn for continued use. You just do the math.

Yes I would agree you can *estimate* these things, but estimates are never precise. You would also of course have to consider a manufacturing defect leading to a catastrphic failure. Often in aviation disasters when parts suffer major failure way ahead of their *estimated* failure date, it is due to some inpurity in the material or some other fault during the manufacturing process. No amount of daily inspection is going to spot these things, and they certainly cant be planned for.

nikechic

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
Do you guys see a future sueing case? The press will probably make more than it is because it happened at Disneyland!!!:brick:

Personally I wouldn't sue. I think it is risk you take everytime you ride. If it were me I would just like to be able to go to Disney for the rest of my life for free and that would make me happy. But I guess if I was one who lost a family member it might be different.

prberk

Originally posted by enough
that site requires registering to view the content - care to copy+paste?
By Dan Weikel and Daryl Strickland, Times Staff Writers

ANAHEIM — A car filled with riders broke loose from a locomotive on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction today, killing one person and injuring 10 others before the runaway car stopped inside a dark tunnel.

Authorities said the accident occurred about 11:20 a.m. as a small red engine with four open rail cars sped through the faux desert landscape and headed up an incline.

One person was fatally injured as the car parted from the train and rolled back down the grade and into a tunnel, where riders were temporarily trapped.

Officials said one person went into cardiac arrest and was taken to UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange, where he was pronounced dead. In addition, a 22-year-old man with facial injuries was listed in serious condition, according to Marcida Dodson, a hospital spokeswoman.

Five others — two adults and three children ranging in age from 9 to 16 — were taken to the medical center with minor injuries.

Authorities set up a staging and treatment area near the River Belle Terrace, which is not far from the entrance to Big Thunder Mountain.

The popular Frontierland attraction is built around the idea of an Old West mine train that becomes a runaway as it speeds through desert buttes and mountain tunnels.

Gregory

Re: TEST POST

Originally posted by disneyman2
THIS IS A TEST POST ONLY.

Good choice of topics ( :rolleyes: ) to test out your extreamly long signature- you'll probably be needing to change it, seeing as to how its a *bit* too long...

dopey

Do you guys see a future sueing case? The press will probably make more than it is because it happened at Disneyland!!!:brick:

In this day and age, it's almost certain there will be a lawsuit filed.

I wonder, though, about the man who died of a heart attack. To be sure, nobody would ever think that a Disney train ride would derail, but aren't there signs warning that people who have heart conditions should not ride? It's possible that the man didn't know he had a heart condition. I'm just thinking out loud.

The press will make a big deal out of a fatality at Disneyland because it's an extremeley unique story. You don't see a whole lot of page one stories or wall-to-wall TV coverage about things being "normal."

JRead

Originally posted by wdwmagic
Yes I would agree you can *estimate* these things, but estimates are never precise. You would also of course have to consider a manufacturing defect leading to a catastrphic failure. Often in aviation disasters when parts suffer major failure way ahead of their *estimated* failure date, it is due to some inpurity in the material or some other fault during the manufacturing process. No amount of daily inspection is going to spot these things, and they certainly cant be planned for.

This is certainly accurate, very frequently steel has pockets of inpurities, etc.. that can lead to unexpected failure.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
STATEMENT FROM THE DISNEYLAND RESORT

Statement
By Cynthia Harriss
Disneyland Resort President
Friday, September 5, 2003

The tragic incident occurred at approximately 11:30 this morning on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland in Anaheim, California. There was one death and 11 people injured and taken to various local hospitals. Anaheim Fire Department, Anaheim Police Department and Department of Occupation, Safety and Health are all on the scene and we are closely working with the authorities to investigate the incident. Meanwhile, the attraction is closed.

On behalf of the entire Cast of the Disneyland Resort we are shocked and saddened by this morning's incident. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of those involved.

More developments will be released as they become available.

prberk

Strangely enough the Disneyland website is not yet acknowledging the closure of the park or anything. Nor is the WDW site discussing the hurricane.

The last time a major hurricane came through WDW, they put a temporary front page up that told what the resort was doing for the hurricane, and how to reach guests that may be displaced (i.e., FW campers were given rooms in hotels where they could, others housed temporarily in hotel lobbies, as the resort was close to full at the time, yet all parks were closing for the hurricane)....

Anyway, it is just a good idea to put up emergency info for families to find.... Surprised they have not done it yet, for either coast, especially the hurricane that is all over national news too.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by dopey
I wonder, though, about the man who died of a heart attack. To be sure, nobody would ever think that a Disney train ride would derail, but aren't there signs warning that people who have heart conditions should not ride? It's possible that the man didn't know he had a heart condition. I'm just thinking out loud.

I dunno if he died of a heart attack

"One person was fatally injured as the car parted from the train and rolled back down the grade and into a tunnel, where riders were temporarily trapped."

I heard he was Impaled....

prberk

Originally posted by DMC-12
I dunno if he died of a heart attack

"One person was fatally injured as the car parted from the train and rolled back down the grade and into a tunnel, where riders were temporarily trapped."

I heard he was Impaled....

The news is saying that he went into cardiac arrest following the incident. So, the accident may have caused the heart attack.

This does not look good! The media (and universal) are going to have a feeding frenzy off of this. Omg I really hope everyone else is ok. Stuff like this just doesnt happen at disney! I just cant see how this could have happened, for some reason I just cant get the idea of someone tampering with the track out of my head.

JRead

I feel like there's a lot of confused news coverage right now. It started as a derailment, but that seems not the case, they're also saying the train sections detached from each other, but how bad could that be? Unless it rolled backwards into another coaster.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
This doesn't look good for anyone except for the press!!!!:brick: :hurl:

Of course it is..... cause its NEWS! (go figure!) :hammer:

This forum is going thru the roof... almost 200 people are logged in right now... that is a HUGE new record for this place...

So tell me... you think noone wants the story behind this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom