Accident at Disneyland (CA)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
When was the last guest in park fatality? The guy who stood up on Space Mountain way back when?

UncleJeet

Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
"Poor" loading is not going to make a train derail. It was either something wrong with the track, wheels, or a foreign object could have fallen in front of the train.

Hrmmm, I don't think so. Keep in mind that BTM is a top-wheeled coaster, there's no undercarriage or under-wheels keeping it secured to the railing (as far as I know.) Say you load the back 5 cars very heavy people and seat them all on the right side. you have a recipe for a derailment.

Physics are extremely important in roller coasters. With more modern designs, most of these things have been addressed. If you load a train too light, it might experience too much loss and not be able to complete the circuit. We have accellerators today that compensate for this. Load a train too heavy, and your speeds may become too great - but today we have brake systems in place. We also have steel coasters with wheels on the top AND wheels on the bottom, which keeps things like nasty lateral forces from tipping the cars off the rails, and allows for high vertical forces without fear of the car hopping off the rails.

I'd say that, if poor loading or CM negligence was involved that it was most likely complicated by something else, like one of the things you mentioned, in order to cause this to happen.

Perhaps a train was a bit overloaded and heavy, which put too much of a strain on the joining bits of the cars and the locomotive, which were getting a little long in the tooth and barely met safety regulations - that sort of thing.

Or maybe it was just a fluke. Act of God, sort of thing.

UncleJeet

josh_e_washie

I just wanted to point out something right now....isn't disney famous for not pronouncing anyone 'deceased' on property? i want to know whats going on really bad...

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by The_CEO
If all mountain would be closed. I was right now was I? So WDW is closed. Am i lying? Will it get checked like the other mountains? Of course.

Youre factually innacurate. You're alledging that BTM would be closed at WDW in responce to this incident at DL when in actuallity it already is closed for a rehab.

Merlin0402

CEO, what the hell is wrong with you? A train derailed on Big Thunder Mountain, and 12 people are injured, one of them critically, and all you can do is rant and rave about how horrible Disney is for not maintaining their rides!? How long has the ride been open? Come on, you just want attention today, you couldn't give a damn about these people...

AriBelle23

Every single time i read any posts by "THE_CEO" , its always something very very mean or negative...Okay, there were people injured at one of the Disney parks, i don't really think this is a time to be negative...nothing is completely confirmed yet...so I think we just have to wait. They probably will shut donw all the BTM's, but there is no need to be like, "told ya so!" here. This is serious. Thank God no one got killed!!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by UncleJeet
Hrmmm, I don't think so. Keep in mind that BTM is a top-wheeled coaster, there's no undercarriage or under-wheels keeping it secured to the railing (as far as I know.) Say you load the back 5 cars very heavy people and seat them all on the right side. you have a recipe for a derailment.

I am almost certain that all the Disney coasters have upstop wheels underneath to hold the train on the track.

AriBelle23

Originally posted by josh_e_washie
I just wanted to point out something right now....isn't disney famous for not pronouncing anyone 'deceased' on property? i want to know whats going on really bad...

whoa...very good point...i really hope no one was killed...that would be so awful! ...what is the latest now?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Actually, AriBelle, there was one fatality.

And josh, yes thats an urban legend, but I'm sure the person who died was declared deceased off property, because they sent him off in an ambulance quickly, meaning he wasnt dead when he left, if he was already dead they would have had him there longer while they waited for someone that could declare him dead.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by s25843
Just curious, whats your source of this info?

Wolf Blitzer just did a cut away from Crossfire On CNN saying the same... 1 dead... 11 injured. Full details to follow at *edit* 5pm ET

yensid354

BTM accident

Accident?

CEO seems to believe that the maintenance checks were not done, others that there are no undertrack wheels.

IMHO, this will turn out to be a 'customer' in the park that was looking for a payday, and had some pretty severe unintended consequence.

As I recall at DL and WDW, the ride is very well covered with cameras and there should/will be tape somewhere!

As to the news reports, the locomotives don't pull the train, the under carriage rack and lift chain provide motive lift, gravity provides the power. the locomotive is the same as a ride car, just not filled with guests.

The_CEO

Originally posted by DMC-12
Wolf Blitzer just did a cut away from Crossfire On CNN saying the same... 1 dead... 11 injured. Full details to follow at 4pm ET
I'm confused, isnt it almost 5:00?

nikechic

This is horrible. But I am assuming that it is so sort of freak accident. It happens. I don't think it is a reason to shutdown BTM at all the other parks. People should just calm down accidents happen.
But of course, I feel really bad for the people who are hurt.

UncleJeet

Originally posted by wdwmagic
I am almost certain that all the Disney coasters have upstop wheels underneath to hold the train on the track.

If so, I stand corrected. Disney is so good at hiding things, that there could very well be wheels underneath the rails on BtM and I just haven't seen them before. If so, that's a good thing.

Anyway, mMy whole point with the "human error" bit is that these things are rarely the cause of just one thing. Yeah, a connecting piece may be a bit weak, but unless the train is too heavy or travelling to fast it'll probably be ok, that sort of thing.

Fact is, we won't know until a formal investigation is done and reported to us, and that won't be for awhile.

UncleJeet

The_CEO

Re: BTM accident

Originally posted by yensid354
CEO seems to believe that the maintenance checks were not done.

Exactly. Thats all I was stating. Thank you for understanding Yensid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom