Accident at Disneyland (CA)

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by Thrawn
Don't be so quick to pass off what you think as fact. If it was just a freak thing, they won't do that. However, if it is a ride flaw, they will need to shut down a lot more than just the BTMs, they will also need to shut down all the Arrow (they are made by Arrow, correct?) rides with the same ride system.

No, BTM is made by Vekoma, not Arrow. And for everyone elses remarks about closing down all other BTM's. The one in WDW is already closed for rehab.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Since you seem to know so much and are absolutely SURE of everything you say, I have four words for your "fact" that it was a ride flaw:

Post Proof or Retract

edit: Ok so the Vekoma rides with the same ride system will need to be checked. Again, if it is a ride flaw, which we have no way of telling either way yet.

UncleJeet

Geeze, let's everybody calm down ok? There's no need to get all worked up and angry about people speculating what might have gone wrong, is there?

UncleJeet

The_CEO

Originally posted by Thrawn
Since you seem to know so much and are absolutely SURE of everything you say, I have four words for your "fact" that it was a ride flaw:

Post Proof or Retract

Are you denying it? What do you think it was, Mickey Mouse bored? You will get proof when its reveiled. I'll bet it was it. Cause it couldn't be anything else.

ToTBellHop

I just wouldn't expect Big Thunder at wdw to open anytime soon...the public response to this accident will be horrible--they will DEMAND new safety restrictions. If trains collide, there is a SERIOUS problem--there needs to be enough brake sections on a roller coaster to make sure something like this cannot happen. Expect major changes, extensive rehabs--certainly a year or more at Disneyland (it takes that long for them to do normal rehabs..)

The_CEO

Originally posted by DisneyPhD
I believe paris was completely redone within the past couple of years so you can take that one off your list too.

But we all thought DL was safe... How do we know Paris is?

Even with a rehab. Doesn't mean nothing.

UncleJeet

Don't overlook operator error, too....poor loading, running too many trains too close together, etc...

Only, I'd imagine that there is a ride system in place to keep the trains apart an adequate distance. However, maybe the cars were just plain overloaded?

Who knows....we'll learn about it in time.

UncleJeet

dopey

Obviously it was some kind of flaw.

Cars just don't derail themselves for the heck of it.

The questions are: What caused the accident and could it have been prevented?

PhotoDave219

Errr... CEO(, Big Thunder is rehabbing at WDW until November.

AP & reuters are reporting that a Locomotive broke loose. Now we dont know how this broke loose, where it broke loose or how people got hurt. We dont know if it was a ride loco or if it was on a shunt

Anything else is speculation at this point.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Quite humorous. When a train derails, its always because there is something wrong with the track? No. High winds, other factors can play into it. Now winds arent a factor here, obviously, but things that could be:

something dropped onto the track by a previous rider
too much weight on one side of the train
something a rider on the train did

or it could be a ride fault. I'm just saying don't pass your opinion as fact until we know.

The_CEO

Originally posted by UncleJeet
Don't overlook operator error, too....poor loading, running too many trains too close together, etc...

They get released when the computer lets them. Can't Manually overide the system. So its a system ride flaw.

enough

Originally posted by The_CEO
But we all thought DL was safe... How do we know Paris is?

Even with a rehab. Doesn't mean nothing.

Does that mean you're swearing off Coasters and any other ride altogether then? Accidents can happen to even the most rigorously maintained equipment. It is tragic indeed, but fortunately it sounds from the initial reports that everyone is OK for the most part.

UncleJeet

Originally posted by The_CEO
They get released when the computer lets them. Can't Manually overide the system. So its a system ride flaw.

Hrmmm, it's been a year since I've been on Big Thunder Mountain, but I could swear that the cars aren't loaded by robots....hence "poor loading" :)

UncleJeet

josh_e_washie

I agree with unclejeet...
Does anyone remember the incident at WDW's BTMR where a person got their leg torn off at the loading station after he tried to get out to early? A CM should have been able to see this right? So perhaps there is a chance for CM error...but again we should wait to see what happens!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom