A Whole New World of Huggles

figmentmom

The power is FINALLY back on here - let me tell you, it was a long, cold night without heat! Still, we're luckier than a lot of people - some areas of our county are not expected to have power until tomorrow. :eek:

figmentmom

dandaman said:
:wave:

I'm surprised our power didn't go off, Mary. Thursday night saw sustained winds of about 45 mph. :eek:

You were lucky, Dan! National Grid (our power company) estimated that about 120,000 customers were without power last night in our area. While most people have power now, there are still lots of downed trees, roof damage, and general mayhem.

I tell you, it gives me a whole new perspective on hurricane damage...I can't imagine losing power for any longer than one night! :(

dandaman

:confused:
figmentmom said:
You were lucky, Dan! National Grid (our power company) estimated that about 120,000 customers were without power last night in our area. While most people have power now, there are still lots of downed trees, roof damage, and general mayhem.

I tell you, it gives me a whole new perspective on hurricane damage...I can't imagine losing power for any longer than one night! :(

Yikes!

The longest outage in memory for me, was the big one in August 2003.

(Why did I just rhyme...? :lookaroun)

The power was out from 4 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. the next morning. However, we'd also had an impromptu pool party by flashlight, so it made the outage more bearable. :lol:

figmentmom

dandaman said:
:confused:

Yikes!

The longest outage in memory for me, was the big one in August 2003.

(Why did I just rhyme...? :lookaroun)

The power was out from 4 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. the next morning. However, we'd also had an impromptu pool party by flashlight, so it made the outage more bearable. :lol:

We lost power in August a year or so ago - anyone else remember the big grid failure? It was a nuisance - we had to stand in line to buy ice and batteries just like all the other unprepared folk :lol: - but it didn't get dark until late, and certainly heating the house wasn't an issue. This was totally different, and a lot more sobering.

DDuckFan130

figmentmom said:

:lol: Glad you have your power back...

Having power outage for a week like we had for Wilma was no fun :rolleyes:

dandaman

figmentmom said:
We lost power in August a year or so ago - anyone else remember the big grid failure? It was a nuisance - we had to stand in line to buy ice and batteries just like all the other unprepared folk :lol: - but it didn't get dark until late, and certainly heating the house wasn't an issue. This was totally different, and a lot more sobering.

Storytime:

The day of the infamous "August outage", we were packing up to go back home from Algonquin Park. (Google it if you're unsure.) We'd just stopped off, and filled up on both food and gas (the car got the latter half :lookaroun).

Around 4:00, we were driving by Canada's Wonderland Theme Park in Toronto, when I noticed the rides were all e-stopped (I was drooling over them nonetheless :slurp: ). SO, Dad turns on the radio, and everything's blank. A radio station comes on, and says everything's out from New York to North Bay!

The next 4 hours of the drive home saw at least 3 mile-long backups on the 401, waiting to get ags at the service stations. Again, we were pretty lucky and timed our fill-up perfectly.

When we got home, we decided to call up some people and throw a midsummer night pool party. Stayed in there 'till about 12. :lol:

I think the only downside to this story is, the day after, I was supposed to go to Cedar Point for the first time with my friend. It was cancelled. :(

...And then we went on Sunday instead, so there's a silver lining anyway!

figmentmom

DDuckFan130 said:
:lol: Glad you have your power back...

Having power outage for a week like we had for Wilma was no fun :rolleyes:

I can't imagine, I really can't.

We're on our winter break from school up here, Regina - do you have a February break down there?

DDuckFan130

figmentmom said:
I can't imagine, I really can't.

We're on our winter break from school up here, Regina - do you have a February break down there?
Nope...our winter break is during Christmas, and then we have spring break coming up. Mine is in March, and the county schools have it during Holy Week.

And I just read that line about waiting in line for ice and stuff. The amount of unprepared people during Wilma was unbelievable. What's funny is that we had so much time to prepare, even an extra weekend because Wilma stalled. But people just assumed nothing would happen :rolleyes: My dad went to get ice in the long lines, but that ice was not necessary in the beginning because we had filled up newspaper bags with our own ice. A few days later when the power started to come back, we got 5 more bags of ice because no one wanted them. I think we still have some and some water bottles :lol:

dandaman

DDuckFan130 said:
:lol:

*huggles* for your March break :p

I wish it was March Break right now. :lol:

(That way, I could try persuadng my hardest to make it back down to WDW :lookaroun

Could I live with you for a week, Regina? :D)

DDuckFan130

dandaman said:
I wish it was March Break right now. :lol:

(That way, I could try persuadng my hardest to make it back down to WDW :lookaroun

Could I live with you for a week, Regina? :D)
Sure...you sleep with the dogs :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom