"A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas"- Disney press release

SoccerMickey

Since I'm sure some people had to run to the toilet about halfway through reading the release, and thus didn't make it to the end, I will point out the notation about the Rusty Cutlass performing at MVMCP.

Given that inclusion, I think this show is intentionally being situated as the replacement for Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas. It's as if Disney is saying, "You can't complain about less entertainment at the MVMCP due to the old show not running, because we have these new pieces of entertainment."

While the Rusty Cutlass is good, they and some poorly conceived Tomorrowland retrofit show doesn't effectively replace a WDW Christmas classic. First Country Bear Christmas, then Twas the Night Before Christmas. Celebrate the Season, your days are numbered.

Celebrate the Season got retweaked with articulated heads, and the Country Bear segment replaced with Mickey and the gang doing the Nutcracker Suite. As for the Totally Tomorrowland Christmas...it's not that good. Buzz Lightyear's version of Jingle Bells concludes with a chorus from the Snoopy vs. the Red Baron song, Mike Waszowski's version of Rudolph is very similar to the one the characters do in CTS, and then the lead singer is just way too sappy. Another thing that was exclusively annoying the performance I saw was one of the dancers, who was either a sub or off that night, was doing all the dance moves in the audience, which was very distracting while I was trying to watch the show.
Does anyone know if the performance where Mike's arm went flying off his body make it on Youtube? That reportedly happened on the first party night.

DisneyDrum

Does anyone know if the performance where Mike's arm went flying off his body make it on Youtube? That reportedly happened on the first party night.

Yeah, it's the link a few posts above. What a terrible start to a poorly put together show. You can also see how the intro video conks out and is restarted.

I'm not one to criticize, but I really wonder who in entertainment is writing this schlock. It's almost like they were making a parody of a disney christmas show. From the nonsensical star wars intro, to buzz lightyear attempting to smash jingle bells into a story about defeating zurg, to mike's terrible jokes...it's just awful writing. The dancing, lighting, and even the musical arrangements are great-there clearly are a lot of talented performers at Disney. They just need some competent show writers....

imagineer boy

Yeah, it's the link a few posts above. What a terrible start to a poorly put together show. You can also see how the intro video conks out and is restarted.

I'm not one to criticize, but I really wonder who in entertainment is writing this schlock. It's almost like they were making a parody of a disney christmas show. From the nonsensical star wars intro, to buzz lightyear attempting to smash jingle bells into a story about defeating zurg, to mike's terrible jokes...it's just awful writing. The dancing, lighting, and even the musical arrangements are great-there clearly are a lot of talented performers at Disney. They just need some competent show writers....

I believe marketing was behind it 100%. That would pretty much explain it...

I'd put my money on Jason Surrell. He's the one who wrote the Stitch show, Move It Street Party, American Idol... I think it would'nt be hard to connect him to most of the terrible Show Writing coming out of WDI and Entertainment (he works for both apparently). He's also working on Star Tours II according to his bio in one of his books, so yeah... I'm concerned.

As for other elements, choreography and such, they're ok I guess. I just have high standards when it comes to shows since I'm a bit obsessed with TDR's entertainment. They've done shows on stages of similar size (their stage in Adventureland comes to mind) and have just produced much better results. They've also done things with fairly modern music that didn't come off feeling forced or awkward. Just last year they did a spectacular Christmas show that used modern versions of holiday classics, and it was great. Part of the problem with this show, as with the Stitch one, is that the whole thing grinds to a halt between the (very small amount of) musical numbers. You've got to keep the momentum going. The host also sings only two songs, that's ridiculous.

drew81

I'd put my money on Jason Surrell. He's the one who wrote the Stitch show, Move It Street Party, American Idol... I think it would'nt be hard to connect him to most of the terrible Show Writing coming out of WDI and Entertainment (he works for both apparently). He's also working on Star Tours II according to his bio in one of his books, so yeah... I'm concerned.

As for other elements, choreography and such, they're ok I guess. I just have high standards when it comes to shows since I'm a bit obsessed with TDR's entertainment. They've done shows on stages of similar size (their stage in Adventureland comes to mind) and have just produced much better results. They've also done things with fairly modern music that didn't come off feeling forced or awkward. Just last year they did a spectacular Christmas show that used modern versions of holiday classics, and it was great. Part of the problem with this show, as with the Stitch one, is that the whole thing grinds to a halt between the (very small amount of) musical numbers. You've got to keep the momentum going. The host also sings only two songs, that's ridiculous.

Yes, that is correct.

disneyfreakgirl

I attended on the 12th and saw the show. It was terrrible. Such a disappointment. I attended MVMCP 3 years ago and couldn't wait to go again. One of my favorite things was the Night Before Christmas Show and I just couldn't believe it was replaced with this. :xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom