A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

NormC

PS- I am absolutely positive that the Twilight Zone IP will land somewhere if Disney gives it up. Possibly in a much bigger and bolder way. That won't happen unless Disney lets it go.
Wrong. Disney holds no exclusivity on this. They simply pay for a license to use the IP on the tower. If someone else wanted to use it elsewhere they can right now. They just have to pay

Bairstow

Wrong. Disney holds no exclusivity on this. They simply pay for a license to use the IP on the tower. If someone else wanted to use it elsewhere they can right now. They just have to pay

Do people even remember this show?

If another theme park was to license the "Twilight Zone" name for an attraction they would be doing so only to take advantage of the public association with the Disney rides.

MerlinTheGoat

If I hear another person ask whether anyone remembers The Twilight Zone anymore, i'll need to have my palm surgically removed from my face...

It was, is and will always be an incredible show. It was insanely popular for its time and has retained its status as a beloved classic over the years. Not to mention it has held up infinitely better than almost all other TV shows (not just compared to ones from its own time). It's widely considered one of the best (some would even say THE best) TV shows ever created, and yes people remember and adore it.

rd805

GotG makes more sense then Tron. Tron didn't even make much bank at the box office. It must be more popular over in China for Disney to have invested so heavily in an attraction that replaces the typical Tomorrowland, Space Mountain.

It's more the "thrill roller coaster" aspect -- and Tron = Sci Fi = Sort of Futureworld = Epcot.

Bacon

This is terrible, terrible news. The only positive thing that comes from this is that Marvel will stay out of Epcot. I hope.
Well maybe if we really need it :rolleyes:
FIGMENT2015001_int2-page-005.jpg

tribbleorlfl

I'm still trying to reconcile the disparity here in this news. On one hand, they are circling back to doing a quick and cheap clone overlay of ToT just to shoehorn Marvel IP, throwing theme to the wind to the overwhelming chagrin of fans. On the other hand, they are willing to pay millions in licensing penalties just to keep Visa and Coca Cola logos out of SWL for the sake of immersion.

I just don't get Disney's schizophrenic behavior any more.

Bairstow

Does it matter? Who remembers Song of the South?

Not to forget the twilight zone is a phrase as common in everyday use as the Bermuda Triangle.

Plus it's an actual oceanic term.

It matters because jt04 proposed that if the licensing agreement with Disney were to end, there would be no shortage of theme parks willing to adapt the IP.

No Name

As for the ToT topic, I don't have many more words. I've already pointed out why this is both a bad move for the guests and for the business.

It will also taint Bob Iger's (and Chappie's) legacy. A legacy is not just based on the success you brought the conpany back then, it's largely based on how your actions impact that the company years down the road. The scary part is, I think they fully understand what I just said, they just really don't see why replacing the ToT with a GotG ride is beyond stupid.

And stupidity is hard to correct. The best way to avoid stupid decisions is by having these decisions made as a group, with multiple people from all parts of the company involved and discussing the good and bad. There is nothing weak about that, it's called being a good leader.

Unfortunately the Bobs try to make decisions themselves, and they are clearly not the most qualified to do so.

*edited to further roast the Bobs.

Good grief...I think it is... :)
Yep. That's clear.

I'd say it's relative. A person who grew up riding MK's PotC and didn't ride DL's until later in life (or has never ridden it) may very well consider MK's a classic. And on the other hand, someone who grew up riding Disneyland's surely doesn't see MK's that way.

And people in Shanghai, many years from now, may see theirs as a classic, while we here in the US will likely not see it that way. And who's to say that we are right and they are wrong? Is our picture of things more correct than theirs?

My point is, there is no solid definition of a classic, and it depends on each person's past and how they see things.

Total tangent: Martin, do you second Spirit's word that ToT is back around to the chopping block?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom