A Spirited Valentine ...

Nj4mwc

One of my favorite bits of "theming" (sorry not sure what other word to use to describe it) is the path of brown in Liberty Square and pointing out to others what it's supposed to represent.

I really hope we get those Dementors eventually. Ours will also be even better once we have the new coaster open.
That is the best thing I learned today about the brown path, I will be there in September and can not wait to point this out to my kids

the.dreamfinder

June Foray, voice actor best known as Rocky the Squirrel and dedicated supporter of Animation as an art form, has died at the age of 99; two months shy of her 100th birthday.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/rip/june-foray-voice-rocket-j-squirrel-natasha-fatale-dead-99-152583.html
1273136-450_rocky1.jpg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
June Foray, voice actor best known as Rocky the Squirrel and dedicated supporter of Animation as an art form, has died at the age of 99; two months shy of her 100th birthday.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/rip/june-foray-voice-rocket-j-squirrel-natasha-fatale-dead-99-152583.html
1273136-450_rocky1.jpg

Such an awesome lady! She added so much to WB's catalog of cartoons. Iconic voice, a legend the likes of Blanc and Frees. A leading lady and great talent. Rest in Peace, Granny. You made my Saturday mornings a bit brighter.

Last edited:

Mike S

1273136-450_rocky1.jpg
So close and yet so far...
Such an awesome lady! She added so much to WB's catalog of cartoons. Iconic voice, a legend the likes of Blanc and Frees. A leading lady and great talent. Rest in Peace, Granny. You made my Saturday mornings a bit brighter.
She was Granny too? :(

Dapper Dan

One of the most basic ideas of themed design is that theming has 3 levels; the park, the land, and the attraction. Each level reinforces the others to make a unified whole. When the company that pioneered this art form ignores that most basic rule it is very frustrating.

That's why none of the "purists who hate everything and don't want anything to change" have complained about the new Circlevision film for the China pavilion (the announcement nobody but the purists remember) because it is a perfect fit and not at all controversial.

Kman101

A couple of things that will make either myself or your pal Derek Burgan very happy

Any idea what capacity is for this "park"? Is it as low (or lower) than 6000 as was reported at opening?

I understand they're not building it in exactly the same order, but it appears that Florida is about 3-5 months behind, does that sound right?

He keeps bringing up SW:GE being "far behind" but we've all been aware it's about 6 months behind Disneyland, give or take a month or so. No one who can read should have believed they were opening at the same time unless Florida starts construction 24/7. So not sure why Spirit keeps bringing up Florida is behind. Anyone who can read and has eyes knows they're behind. He acts like there will be years between the two or something. Maybe the next post or thread will give some clarity but I don't get the need to keep saying it.

EDIT: Fixed spelling mistakes. Darn phone.

Last edited:

Kman101

One of the most basic ideas of themed design is that theming has 3 levels; the park, the land, and the attraction. Each level reinforces the others to make a unified whole. When the company that pioneered this art form ignores that most basic rule it is very frustrating.

That's why none of the "purists who hate everything and don't want anything to change" have complained about the new Circlevision film for the China pavilion (the announcement nobody but the purists remember) because it is a perfect fit and not at all controversial.

I remember the China film announcement just fine. And who's to say they won't push Mulan and Mushu into it?

I can still appreciate the theme and ideals but be accepting of new things. Sorry if some don't think that's possible. I'm just personally not going to keep hand-wringing over it and telling other's they're wrong for not shouting it from the rafters. I don't like the placement of Guardians. Or Mickey. But what's done is done. Why do we have to keep having the same back and forth?

Mike S

The China film and space restaurant announcements were the most surprising at D23.

Kman101

TRON isn't what the MK needs but I'm not upset we're getting it. I'm not upset at the Guardians attraction either, in isolation. I don't really mind losing Energy but most of us have stated over and over that Guardians is going into the wrong park. Had they switched Tron and Guardians I'd have been a lot more happy, but I'm still happy they're coming and I won't apologize for being happy. I'm well aware of the faults and the mistakes made by the company. And how they're run. And it's fine if some want to dislike things based on 'the standards' they set for themselves but you're never going to be happy with anything then.

doctornick

He keeps bringing up SW:GE being "far behind" but we've all been aware it's about 6 months behind Disneyland, give or take a month or so. No one who can read should have believed they were opening at the same time unless Florida starts construction 24/7. So not sure why Spirit keeps bringing up Florida is behind. Anyone who can read and has eyes knows they're behind. He acts like there will be years between the two or something. Maybe the next post or thread will give some clarity but I don't get the need to keep saying it.

Yep. Most everyone agrees that DHS is somewhere around 6 mo behind DL. Spirit says that WDW is "years" or "18-24 months" behind DL and get called out on it because it is inconsistent with what other insiders are saying. Disney officially announces that both SW:GE lands will open in 2019 with DL opening first and DHS later (consistent with the ~6 months give or take that most everyone agrees on) and then Spirit comes on here to use that as evidence that he's right? Doesn't make much sense.

That's some jt04 level logic there.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I know the space restaurant was hinted at by a few here but it got lost in the sea of forum posts. The China film was I think a surprise to everyone or at least the vast majority of peeps on the forum and at D23. I'm interested to see what they do with the China film. I blast IPs on occasion but I think in this instance an expanded Meet and Greet and a "Mushui presents" film could work well. Is Imagineering doing anything specifically new in the pavilion or is it just an updated film?

Kman101

I know the space restaurant was hinted at by a few here but it got lost in the sea of forum posts. The China film was I think a surprise to everyone or at least the vast majority of peeps on the forum and at D23. I'm interested to see what they do with the China film. I blast IPs on occasion but I think in this instance an expanded Meet and Greet and a "Mushui presents" film could work well. Is Imagineering doing anything specifically new in the pavilion or is it just an updated film?

I feel like even the China film got hinted at, somewhere, by someone. I think Martin had alluded to films being looked at or updated but I could be wrong.

I think people should just expect Mulan/Mushu and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't include them.

jakeman

TRON isn't what the MK needs but I'm not upset we're getting it. I'm not upset at the Guardians attraction either, in isolation. I don't really mind losing Energy but most of us have stated over and over that Guardians is going into the wrong park. Had they switched Tron and Guardians I'd have been a lot more happy, but I'm still happy they're coming and I won't apologize for being happy. I'm well aware of the faults and the mistakes made by the company. And how they're run. And it's fine if some want to dislike things based on 'the standards' they set for themselves but you're never going to be happy with anything then.

Yep. Most everyone agrees that DHS is somewhere around 6 mo behind DL. Spirit says that WDW is "years" or "18-24 months" behind DL and get called out on it because it is inconsistent with what other insiders are saying. Disney officially announces that both SW:GE lands will open in 2019 with DL opening first and DHS later (consistent with the ~6 months give or take that most everyone agrees on) and then Spirit comes on here to use that as evidence that he's right? Doesn't make much sense.

That's some jt04 level logic there.
Careful fellas. You know what happens to folks when they question the revisionism...

Kman101

Careful fellas. You know what happens to folks when they question the revisionism...

LOL. I think sometimes he fans the flames a bit and that's fine but I've questioned his stance on SW:GE before and now his insistence that other things are 'later'. We're all pretty aware of the timelines for most of what was announced. I just would like to know what he's implying, that's all.

And for me, I'm under no illusion that "suddenly Iger and Chapek" care about the parks in the swamps. Most of us on here can be happy things are coming but I think we're under no illusion that a lot of it is being forced on them. The decade+ stagnation has caught up to them and they have no choice now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom