A Spirited Valentine ...

Princess Leia

In other Star Wars related news Imperial Stormtroopers banned at Princeton

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/1/stormtrooper-costumes-banned-from-star-wars-themed/

It appears DM's alma mater has lost their collective minds over a FANTASY universe You just can't make this stuff up.
1. Someone needs to alert DHS that they have 'nazis' parading up and down their streets, and some are 'arresting' tourists.
2. If I had a dollar for every time I read 'Rouge One' in an article, I'd have enough money to buy 8 Mickey Premium Bars. It's Rogue, not Rouge. The red color was already taken by Red Squadron ;)

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Disagree, Reducing the buybacks would tank the stock, Stopping construction in MCO on a single attraction could be spun any number of ways all of which would require on-site inspection to verify. My personal favorite in this case would be 'soil mechanics' requiring additional engineering study...

I would agree if it was a single attraction. It is not. It is being billed as their Potter-killer and an immersive themed land based on one of the most successful and popular movie franchises in history. It is much more than a "single attraction" which is why I think it would be seen as a major negative if they put it in hold.

HMF

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would agree if it was a single attraction. It is not. It is being billed as their Potter-killer and an immersive themed land based on one of the most successful and popular movie franchises in history. It is much more than a "single attraction" which is why I think it would be seen as a major negative if they put it in hold.

My point has always been I'm not sure Wall St is behind building TWO of them at the same time, Wall St would say let's see if the one in DL is successful (All of us here on WDWMagic know it will be) then we will bless the one in WDW.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Universities are about as fun as a gulag these days.

Well they ARE run by people who believe in the social system which created Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago, i.e. conformity to an arbitrary standard designed to create 'The New Soviet Man'. Conformity in word, thought and action.

the.dreamfinder

My point has always been I'm not sure Wall St is behind building TWO of them at the same time, Wall St would say let's see if the one in DL is successful (All of us here on WDWMagic know it will be) then we will bless the one in WDW.
I see cost being the biggest problem. It's generally understood around these parts each land costs in the ballpark of $1 billion. How do you justify that when UNI spends less than half of that on each WW?

As much as folks complain about WDI's creative soulessness, hi Joe!, their profond failure to build quality projects on a reasonable budget is the biggest problem they face.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think you misunderstand me, SWL is definitely coming SOMETIME to DHS It's just that I can't see Wall St allowing Disney to build TWO at the same time. Carsland is NEVER coming to WDW because it's DL's signature E-ticket at the moment. And I think JL fights to keep it that way.

Please explain why Wall Street is calling the shots for one particular thing (no two SWLs!) but is not involved in calling the shots for some other thing (no two Carslands!).

You really need to keep your conspiracy theories self-consistent.

DisneyFan 2000

Not sure why this is still a discussion. Star Wars is coming, and it's not waiting on Disneyland. The paperwork has been filled, and more importantly, contracts with third parties (construction crews) have been signed and agreed upon. Nothing short of a large scale disaster will make Disney turn back from this. R&D is already paid for, and the cost of having to back out of said contracts is cause enough for Disney to go full steam ahead. Not really sure where all this speculation about the land is coming from.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Please explain why Wall Street is calling the shots for one particular thing (no two SWLs!) but is not involved in calling the shots for some other thing (no two Carslands!).

You really need to keep your conspiracy theories self-consistent.

Do you really think anything beyond SWL demo and ground prep ,Hotels and TSL have been greenlighted If so you are deluding yourself.

Disney by 2019 will need to spend 14B on share repurchases to keep them at Today's level. Where are they going to get that money besides slashing construction budgets???.

No conspiracy theory it's simply a fact that Disneys stock price is supported by share repurchases and Parks and Studios are the only units NOT BLEEDING MONEY.

I keep hearing 'Disney is a Business' well then LOOK AT IT AS A BUSINESS not as a Fanboi, Disneys only concern is maintaining the stock price and because of poor fundamentals in most of their lines of business share repurchases are essential to maintenance of the stock price and that takes cash and you can only spend a dollar once

If it comes down to needing to allocate cash to WDW SWL or share repurchases well share repurchases will win every time. No conspiracy simply reality in a public company as Disneys only responsibility is to maximize shareholder value by any legal means

Last edited:

NearTheEars

Not sure why this is still a discussion. Star Wars is coming, and it's not waiting on Disneyland. The paperwork has been filled, and more importantly, contracts with third parties (construction crews) have been signed and agreed upon. Nothing short of a large scale disaster will make Disney turn back from this. R&D is already paid for, and the cost of having to back out of said contracts is cause enough for Disney to go full steam ahead. Not really sure where all this speculation about the land is coming from.

It's been coming from one poster from the beginning. They've gone all in on it.

rael ramone

Kablam!

Yes, Joe Rohde, I think that ugly word is apt for what your overlords are forcing you to do in Anaheim, Hong Kong and all points in between where Disney has outposts:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-disney-marvel-20170302-story.html

I wonder how soon before Guest Relations have a new word added to their vocabulary by Management...

'Kablam' could be the reason behind everything that isn't working from waiting excessively for ADRs to dirty bathrooms to out of place Upcharges that intrude on the theme...

CrescentLake

I largely agree with what you are feeling. I have Universal fatigue. Too much of the same thing. I love Potter, but ultimately UNI isn't 'The Harry Potter Park' despite being referred to that way in Disney P&R research. Transformers was simply a louder, longer, yet less satisfying, Spidey. Kong is more of the same. Sorry, UNI fanbois, but the parks are way too heavy on screens. If you have motion sickness there literally is almost nothing to do at the two parks. And instead of improving where they are weak, we just get more of the same and ... well, I don't know anyone -- even UNI foamers -- who are raving about Jimmy Fallon and Fast and Furious. Nintendo looks really, really great. But it is years away and Disney will have new and compelling product open by the time it debuts.

I think this is much like 1999 when IOA opened and the resort expansion happened, they have all this momentum and they're blowing it.

Volcano Bay ... I don't even know what to say beyond Jason Surrell (you recall that psycho who was arguing with fanbois on this site while his wife was in labor with their first child) doing media for it. I saw a major story yesterday, but didn't want him getting attention from me by placing it here. It's a water park. Probably a nice one. Already have three in O-Town. No one was clamoring for yet another.

Appreciate somebody finally saying this. I am all for theme park competition, for Universal succeeding, etc. But it is not for me. I have motion sickness (enough that I can usually only muster one ride on Star Tours/one ride on Expedition Everest per trip), so there is nothing for me in Universal. I am frustrated by this, especially since my family wants to take a day out of our next Disney trip to see Harry Potter. Doesn't make financial sense for me to do that- and I do not want to be a drag on the group. I am selfishly hoping Uni invests in some rides that I can ride, so I can justify the expense.

Sue_Vongello

I wonder how soon before Guest Relations have a new word added to their vocabulary by Management...

'Kablam' could be the reason behind everything that isn't working from waiting excessively for ADRs to dirty bathrooms to out of place Upcharges that intrude on the theme...

Haha! Great thought because honestly how can you refute that?

The food quality has gone down but the prices have gone up, any reason?

Kaboom!

Why is Jasmine wearing a costume that has never been featured on the character ever AND looks awful?

Kablam!

Why keep XXX attraction open when half the effects aren't working?

Kablam!

I got my knees taken out by an ECV whose driver wasn't paying attention, anything we can do about that? (This actually happened 2 weeks ago at Epcot)

Kablam!

Oh ... okay? Thanks?

Hahaha ... I love this more than I should ... I definitely love it more than the will build/won't build SWL talk.

HauntedMansionFLA

Do you really think anything beyond SWL demo and ground prep ,Hotels and TSL have been greenlighted If so you are deluding yourself.

Disney by 2019 will need to spend 14B on share repurchases to keep them at Today's level. Where are they going to get that money besides slashing construction budgets???.

No conspiracy theory it's simply a fact that Disneys stock price is supported by share repurchases and Parks and Studios are the only units NOT BLEEDING MONEY.

I keep hearing 'Disney is a Business' well then LOOK AT IT AS BUSINESS not as a Fanboi, Disneys only concern is maintaining the stock price and because of poor fundamentals in most of their lines of business share repurchases are essential to maintenance of the stock price and that takes cash and you can only spend a dollar once

If it comes down to needing to allocate cash to SWL or share repurchases we'll share repurchases will win every time. No conspiracy simply reality in a public company as Disneys only responsibility is to maximize shareholder value by any legal means
Need to spend 14B in 2019? Iger leaves in 2018?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I see cost being the biggest problem. It's generally understood around these parts each land costs in the ballpark of $1 billion. How do you justify that when UNI spends less than half of that on each WW?

As much as folks complain about WDI's creative soulessness, hi Joe!, their profond failure to build quality projects on a reasonable budget is the biggest problem they face.

As I've said before WDI is the division where TWDC probably hides their losses, And it's done by charging exhorbitant amounts to the other B/U's it's probably one of those places where a single copy costs a buck or two not 0.05 cents like the real world (overhead you know... wink, wink, nudge).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom