A Spirited Valentine ...

becca_

I think there's more to SeaWorld than the animals to a certain degree. I think it has a solid fanbase. They've had attendance declines I believe but the park isn't dead. They keep adding things and updating things. Somehow they manage to find the money to do so. I think the documentaries have hurt a bit but I think that's faded a bit. I haven't seen them and probably won't. I think they also do a lot of good work with animals. Some people just don't like to see animals 'in captivity' and think they know what's best, but a lot of animals get rescued and cared for and nursed back to health and released. I think SeaWorld gets a bit of a bad rap.

I think they're moving away though from animal shows and just being about animals. They've added coasters, dark rides, themed around animals and sea life. I think that's the better option.

(I say animals but obviously it's mammals and sea life ... )
Its hard for me to tell based on my one experience so I was just curious. I obviously hope they're treating any living creature there with respect & giving the animals the attention/care they deserve. I just know a looooot of people on twitter are always tweeting about how Orcas live longer in the wild, stuff like that, videos of people protesting outside the park - having families turn away. But if they are doing mostly rescues and not breeding or "stealing" animals, and keeping them in cages that have a lot of room for them (all that good stuff) I have no issue with that.

Maybe they just need to rebrand themselves a bit? Get information out more to the public? Hopefully that will get rid of the bad reputation.

Kman101

Its hard for me to tell based on my one experience so I was just curious. I obviously hope they're treating any living creature there with respect & giving the animals the attention/care they deserve. I just know a looooot of people on twitter are always tweeting about how Orcas live longer in the wild, stuff like that, videos of people protesting outside the park - having families turn away. But if they are doing mostly rescues and not breeding or "stealing" animals, and keeping them in cages that have a lot of room for them (all that good stuff) I have no issue with that.

Maybe they just need to rebrand themselves a bit? Get information out more to the public? Hopefully that will get rid of the bad reputation.

I agree on the rebranding. I think they're working on that. I think it should be more about educating than having Shamu, dolphins and sea lions perform. I think it always kind of was about educating you about caring about them, but animal rights activists often paint things to the extreme (how about they focus on the elephants being beaten and whipped in foreign countries like Thailand, so you can get a ride on them ... but they focus on things like SeaWorld and zoos and circuses, often many of them who actually care about these animals ... well maybe not a circus, I can understand being bothered by that type of performance). I don't know how I feel about it. But that's probably a debate for another time.

Mike S

Sort of but they're not preparing to shutter their doors. But that has nothing to do with how you described the park. It's not falling down, it's not dirty or like some back alley with shady characters milling about LOL. It's not some run down Six Flags. They've done some updating to some things, have some nice coasters. They've consistently added things over the years. Their new nighttime stuff is fairly solid.

It's honestly a solid and nicely themed park.

Have you been there?
I've explained before. My example wasn't saying the park is shady. My example was about SeaWorld getting beat down by Disney and Universal as if they were a guy in a shady alley getting jumped by thugs.

NearTheEars

I've explained before. My example wasn't saying the park is shady. My example was about SeaWorld getting beat down by Disney and Universal as if they were a guy in a shady alley getting jumped by thugs.

Thanks for clearing that up earlier, but you still haven't said if you even been to the park recently.
Obviously they are having some attendance and financial issues in the wake of Blackfish, but they aren't closing anytime soon. And they keep adding attractions.

NearTheEars

Do you think SeaWorld is under pressure to close because of all the animal advocacy groups & such? Or does the general population going to Orlando not really care?

I haven't been to SeaWorld since 2013 (San Diego) and honestly I don't think I'd go back after watching documentaries, seeing posts about the treatment of animals, etc.

I don't think they are under pressure to close, just to change. But it seems that their strategy for change is different depending on what coast you are on. There's a lot of people out there under the impression that the orca shows at all parks have been suspended or become strictly educational. That's definitely not the case in Orlando. And based on the crowds I've seen this year packing Shamu Stadium (full disclosure we only visit on weekends) there's still plenty of folks OK with/excited to see a performance-based show with music and choreography.

They are however are really, really pushing the message about their research and rescue programs at every show.

BrianLo

But in no way, shape or form can the railroad be a part of Star Wars

Just saying...

20160509_startours_08.jpg

It would probably look more congruous in SW:GE than Paris... where it is quite literally a part of Star Tours.

No Name

They are in financial trouble are they not?

They are in financial trouble, but a random visitor wouldn't know that after spending a day at the park.

I find it's generally clean and well-maintained, it has more attractions than ever (and continues to add), the music is stellar, the theme is strong (though slightly hypocritical), and the atmosphere is lively. It may not be Disney quality, but it's leagues above anything Cedar Fair has. And I'm saying all that as someone who does not like animals performing in captivity. I hope SeaWorld adapts and improves well... I'd absolutely hate to see them go away.

Mike S

Thanks for clearing that up earlier, but you still haven't said if you even been to the park recently.
Obviously they are having some attendance and financial issues in the wake of Blackfish, but they aren't closing anytime soon. And they keep adding attractions.
I haven't and don't plan to. There's absolutely nothing there for me.

No Name

Not to rub you the wrong way, but maybe if you go, you'll like it? You don't know there's nothing there for you. Just curious why you won't give it a shot.

Wild Arctic is one of my favorite attractions in Orlando. Better than Star Tours.

TP2000

MK's River is indeed in danger, as is TSI.

I hope you're wrong. That would be like destroying my childhood! :(

What is even the point now? It's down to one riverboat and TSI, that close at dusk and stay closed without a water show.

If anything, these changes really have secured Disneyland's rivers future for a long time to come.

I rode the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Sailing Ship Columbia and the Canoes this past weekend. Plus did the Railroad twice. The changes are truly spectacular. It's obvious they spent a fortune on this big project. The future of Disneyland's Rivers of America complex is not just secured for a long time to come, it's secured as the best Rivers of America complex in any Castle park for a long time to come.

It's "been in danger" for a long time, unfortunately. It's only a matter of time before they pull the plug on it in it's current form.

Good riddance. As I said above, they've let it devolve into nothing. They closed the Canoes and Keelboats decades ago, never replaced the second riverboat when it rotted away, and the entire complex closes at dusk. Why even bother when it takes up 25% of the park property? A giant waste of space at this point, sadly.

TalkingHead

For my money, Manta is the most breathtaking coaster in Orlando, and as others have said, SeaWorld does the best job in town with their Christmas entertainment. The park has a nice ambience that distinguishes it from the other resorts.

Also, spent the day at WDW and the nighttime situation at MK is dreadful.

The fireworks were at 9, ended by 9:20, park closed at 10. Monorails, ferries and busses were already packed -- hadn't caught up from the fireworks crowd -- when we lined up at 10:30. It took over an hour to get to the parking lot; the resort monorail line was at a standstill for 15 min or so. Express had more trains, but also larger crowds. I don't know if it was a result of the seasonal APs going valid today, but the transportation at MK tonight was more miserable than normal. The summer closing hours should be at least 11:00, or Ops should be prepared with enough trains to deal with the hordes leaving between 9:30 and 10:30. Nights like this I wish walking back to TTC had been an option.

On the other hand, Happlily Ever After is the best nighttime show at WDW since...ever? The Genie scene is a jawdropper, even after seeing it a couple times. Absolutely an E-ticket show, which WDW badly needed.

Elsewhere, The Tiki Room E-stopped near the end of the show; hadn't seen that before. The music vanished and all that was left was the clicking of the tiki mouths and bird beaks. Hope they're not neglecting it with an eye to closing it.

NearTheEars

I know you really like UNI, so figured you were a coaster/thrill ride guy. And it seems that's what SeaWorld is doubling down on with their new additions. Obviously if you don't go because of an objection to their captive animal stuff, I'm not going to fight that battle as I fall somewhere in the middle.

COProgressFan

For my money, Manta is the most breathtaking coaster in Orlando, and as others have said, SeaWorld does the best job in town with their Christmas entertainment. The park has a nice ambience that distinguishes it from the other resorts.

Also, spent the day at WDW and the nighttime situation at MK is dreadful.

The fireworks were at 9, ended by 9:20, park closed at 10. Monorails, ferries and busses were already packed -- hadn't caught up from the fireworks crowd -- when we lined up at 10:30. It took over an hour to get to the parking lot; the resort monorail line was at a standstill for 15 min or so. Express had more trains, but also larger crowds. I don't know if it was a result of the seasonal APs going valid today, but the transportation at MK tonight was more miserable than normal. The summer closing hours should be at least 11:00, or Ops should be prepared with enough trains to deal with the hordes leaving between 9:30 and 10:30. Nights like this I wish walking back to TTC had been an option.

On the other hand, Happlily Ever After is the best nighttime show at WDW since...ever? The Genie scene is a jawdropper, even after seeing it a couple times. Absolutely an E-ticket show, which WDW badly needed.

Elsewhere, The Tiki Room E-stopped near the end of the show; hadn't seen that before. The music vanished and all that was left was the clicking of the tiki mouths and bird beaks. Hope they're not neglecting it with an eye to closing it.

The 10pm closes at MK this summer are ridiculous. In the attempt to save labor hours they've been shuffling over to DAK, they've shut down their most popular park early nearly every night this summer, which leads to the significant ops problems as you've described.

HEA is extremely popular (and rightly so) and closing the park 45 minutes after it's over just shows they're not especially concerned with the nightmare that is getting out of the MK near closing time. Most summers see 11pm closes (or even midnight) which results in guests leaving at a more steady rate over a couple hour period. Not having a night parade is making the situation worse (people might stay a bit later if there was a parade to see at 10pm).

Goob

Speaking of closing times, does anyone who has worked at one of the parks have any knowledge on the protocol for closing? As in, how do they know for sure everyone is out? I've always wondered how this works.

Seabasealpha1

I dunno...I'm a die hard Disney man myself...but my parents are Seaworld people and bought us tickets...I enjoyed it for what it was...you can tell that there's a lot of dated stuff and of course there's the whole "Blackfish" fiasco that's drastically changing the way SeaWorld does what they do...but at the same time, I felt like there was so much potential...like, it didn't at all feel dead yet... I didn't have any expectations other than the expected "it's not Disney" but for that matter, I'd do it again...the wait times for attractions were short (minus that HUGELY disappointing Artic attraction) and the staff was very friendly. Of course, this was 2015. They've done a LOT since then...and I do keep up on it here and there...it's my hope they're able to keep at it... I'd say give it a shot...like others have said...it's not crappy Six Flags...

The_Jobu

Speaking of closing times, does anyone who has worked at one of the parks have any knowledge on the protocol for closing? As in, how do they know for sure everyone is out? I've always wondered how this works.

I asked this myself once. I was told you'd be found almost instantly as the parks are packed with maintenance and cleaning crews over night as well as security.

But if a former CM has more detail please share.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom