A Spirited Valentine ...

brb1006

The Lion King also runs 180 to the cultural morays of Chinese culture. The Lion King violates the tenant of respect and reverence of elders.

The Book of Mormon would be just as successful if it were playing in Salt Lake.
Is the Pooh rides even popular in Shanghai after the recent events about the Pooh ban?

Haymarket2008

The Lion King also runs 180 to the cultural morays of Chinese culture. The Lion King violates the tenant of respect and reverence of elders.

The Book of Mormon would be just as successful if it were playing in Salt Lake.

I could be reading your response wrong, but in regard to Book of Mormon it is quite the contrary. The show is quite popular with Mormons.

lazyboy97o

The Mandarin language production of "The Lion King" at SDR's Disneytown will close this October. New Broadway musical (Beauty and the Beast?) coming in 2018.
http://tdrexplorer.com/lion-king-musical-close-shanghai-disneyland/

One wonders how much of this early closure, they were offering generous discounts on tickets at one point, can be attributed to Disneytown's location far away from the SDR metro station given the struggles of other vendors.
If I had to sum up Shanghai Fisney Resort with two words, they would be “poor planning.” The park and the resort are just so poorly laid out.

Here's a useful chart I made to keep track of various posters.

(I'm somewhere on the left side of the blue square, not that anyone cares)

(( I'm not going to say where I've placed various posters, that will just ignite flames ))
Now I’m just curious as to where I would fall.

EricsBiscuit

If I had to sum up Shanghai Fisney Resort with two words, they would be “poor planning.” The park and the resort are just so poorly laid out.

Now I’m just curious as to where I would fall.
I disagree. Have you actually been there? It's a lot of walking but keep in mind the culture does a lot of walking to. I met up with a friend from college and her mother who is Chinese and 80 plus years old WALKED the entire park the whole day! So while it is a huge park, it is certainly manageable. Overall, of the international Disney parks it comes in right behind TDS in my rankings.

lazyboy97o

I disagree. Have you actually been there? It's a lot of walking but keep in mind the culture does a lot of walking to. I met up with a friend from college and her mother who is Chinese and 80 plus years old WALKED the entire park the whole day! So while it is a huge park, it is certainly manageable. Overall, of the international Disney parks it comes in right behind TDS in my rankings.
Yes, I’ve been. I also said nothing about too much walking. Understanding the organization is also [clearly] not predicated entirely on visitation.

Cesar R M

I also recall that Spirit noted the show's storyline did not resonate with the Chinese audience which probably is a bigger factor.

Disney is going to need to bring in Chinese stories because most of Disneys stories are based on western mythology and literature which does not Necessarily translate to Chinese sensibilities

Heck the Lion King is based on Hamlet, and the ideas expressed in many cases is subversive to the Chinese.
I wonder if Disney will try to bring a Monkey King adaptation.
Speaking of Monkey King, theres like 2 new movies every year now.

BrianLo

The Mandarin language production of "The Lion King" at SDR's Disneytown will close this October. New Broadway musical (Beauty and the Beast?) coming in 2018.
http://tdrexplorer.com/lion-king-musical-close-shanghai-disneyland/

One wonders how much of this early closure, they were offering generous discounts on tickets at one point, can be attributed to Disneytown's location far away from the SDR metro station given the struggles of other vendors.

I wouldn't call it far from the Metro, but perhaps on the wrong side of the park. However, I'd be shocked if the purpose of Lion King was to garner walk up business. It does beg the question about whether these Downtown Disney type concepts can be supported by a not-quite resort (aka one-park) "resort".

I think ironically they under-did the hotels this time, but overcalled the out of park retail. They still don't have a home-grown full theatrical venue at Disney Springs! (Aka not Cirque).

BrianLo

Yes, I’ve been. I also said nothing about too much walking. Understanding the organization is also [clearly] not predicated entirely on visitation.

Agreed. There are some odd-ball choices when it comes to the initial resort placement and especially the layout of DisneyTown.

Hong Kong probably has the best resort layout - even if they totally botched the park itself with every expansion. Two parks across the esplanade. Metro on one end, ferries on the other. Room for retail expansion in the middle. Resorts congregated with an Ocean view strip. Simple and elegant.

Nubs70

I could be reading your response wrong, but in regard to Book of Mormon it is quite the contrary. The show is quite popular with Mormons.
Maybe a better analogy would be a theatrical presentation of the Vagina Monolouges in Riyahd.

Anyhow, my point is that themes that resonate in one culture can be deemed offensive in others. Take a look at Hofsteede's Cultural Analysis and see if there are conflicts between themes of The Lion King and Chinese cultural values.

While Chinese are starving for western items, the Chinese are not necessarily longing for Western values.

Mike S

Maybe a better analogy would be a theatrical presentation of the Vagina Monolouges in Riyahd.

Anyhow, my point is that themes that resonate in one culture can be deemed offensive in others. Take a look at Hofsteede's Cultural Analysis and see if there are conflicts between themes of The Lion King and Chinese cultural values.

While Chinese are starving for western items, the Chinese are not necessarily longing for Western values.
giphy.gif

And yet we can't say Dick Van .

Go figure.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think your thinking way to hard about this.

Not really, If you do business internationally you start to think about cultural loading in just about everything you do. And that sensitivity extends to everyday life.

If im talking to peers in china about western books the books in question will be mathematically or technically oriented rather than popular western literature for reasons which are obvious

RSoxNo1

Right now the only thing that could alter Disney's course is a takeover attempt of Disney as Disney is being managed entirely to boost the stock price.

Disney is about halfway down Jim Collins ('Built to Last, Good to Great) Five Stages of Failure from the book 'How The Mighty Fail'

I put them somewhere about 2.5

http://samrainer.com/2009/07/the-five-stages-to-failure/

Part of my thought process is that Iger actually said that Disney has 5 years to implement streaming for his properties. Also the near endless reorganizations and musical VP's game

Iger had 5 years to do streaming back in 2012, He's about to overrun the end of the runway and he has no clue hes near it.

I'm really good at analyzing and predicting failure and based on that preventing future failure.
Disney Movies Anywhere is a great streaming service. First run Disney movies are on Netflix with a cycling lifespan, and all of their content is available on iTunes.

truecoat

Rumored before but now confirmed, Sept 4th is your last chance to ride Dragon's Challenge over at Universal. Being replaced with a new unnamed but Potter themed coaster.

I’m super excited to tell you that a new generation of thrill ride is coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Universal’s Islands of Adventure in 2019! I can’t tell you everything about the new ride just yet, but here’s what I can share:

• This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.
  • The new attraction will be one of the most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way.
  • Our award-winning Universal Creative team is once again collaborating with Warner Bros. and the production design team from the Harry Potter films to bring this new coaster experience to life.
  • This ride is going to redefine the category and transport you to thrilling places, drawing you into even more exciting adventures within the wizarding world. It’s going to be the perfect addition to Hogsmeade.
We’re permanently closing Dragon Challenge on September 5 to make way for this all-new ride. The last day of operation will be Monday, September 4.

Stay tuned to the blog or sign up for email updates – more details will be released in the future.

In the meantime, make sure you come out and take your last ride on Dragon Challenge before it closes.

the.dreamfinder

Disney Movies Anywhere is a great streaming service. First run Disney movies are on Netflix with a cycling lifespan, and all of their content is available on iTunes.
But long term, do you really want Netflix, a competitor, to have rights to those films in that exclusive capacity?

Dinoman96

Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge shutting down is, in a way, kind of a small tragedy in of itself.

Unlike Universal Studios Florida, which has essentially gutted out every original attraction that was present at opening day (with the lone exception of ET Adventure), Islands of Adventure had always done a good job of maintaining all of its rides and attractions it had since it first opened. The only things we've lost over the years were mostly minor stuff like the Triceratops Encounter and Island Skipper Tours.

So yeah, Dueling Dragons is the park's first true casualty in that regard. It's just a shame how much the attraction deteriorated over the years. It used to be a premier attraction, a unique one of a kind coaster(s) with luxurious and detailed theming for its queue line when it was apart of The Lost Continent. Then of course, Harry Potter came along and gutted that area, and then it eventually lost the ability to duel, finally removing the ride(s) completely of its soul. And now here we are, and it's all going to disappear completely.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is no doubt a huge accomplishment for theme park design and I'm looking forward to seeing this new attraction, but, as an old fan of Islands of Adventure, I kinda hate to see how much was sacrificed for it. I'll always miss walking by the two awesome fire and ice dragons that used to be in front of Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge...

battling-dragons-dueling.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom