A Spirited Valentine ...

PorterRedkey

I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet. I think Disney does a terrible job of advertising their animated movies so it may be better than is being presented. I think it will fall along the lines of Good Dinosaur IMO, in terms of reception and box office. We'll see.

I really had high hopes when the concept was 1st released. I thought that Pixar + Day of the Dead = Awesome, now I am not so sure.
I almost have a feeling that the scene with the dog and the bone won't be in the movie. Just like the original Olaf clip wasn't included in Frozen.

I am still hopeful, we haven't seen a whole lot yet.

Absimilliard

Regarding DLP, what is probably the last shareholder meeting is starting in a few minutes (as I write this, it is 09:23am in Paris and it starts at 09:30am).

What we know so far is that an investment plan of around 2 billion euros was presented as part of the hostile takeover package. The breakdown I saw was around 1 billion on a new Value Resort hotel refurbishment and Disney Village, 223 million on IT upgrade and around 750 million euros in the park from now until 2025.

I am sniffing around on every french Disney site and it appears the rumored project of bringing Marvel to Walt Disney Studios has been confirmed. Cinemagique (which closed down 2 days ago) and Rock n Roller Coaster are mentioned as getting makeovers in official documents given to the soon to be ex small shareholders. As for the rest, some "insider" who I don't know how good he or she is is mentioning 2019 for Toy Story Mania! at Walt Disney Studios and a Frozen mini land on what was the land for the Little Mermaid ride, between Discoveryland and Fantasyland. Frozen would be a 2020, so we'll know soon enough as there is a minimum of 3 to 6 months permit process before they can start construction. A permit for Toy Story Mania would have to be presented in the next few months if they want to open in 2019.

Only two things came out of the shareholder meeting:

1- Members of the current shareholders club will keep their benefits 10 years. This is for tickets, discounts, special events.

2- Marvel and Star Wars are going to be a focus.

BrianLo

This movie keeps looking like a bad version of Book of Life. BoL has a unique style, and a great story and cast. I will wait and see, but I was hoping for more than a dog chasing a skeleton bone. It seems like that has been done and done. Pixar is better than that IMHO. Despite my early fears, I hope it turns out well.

That's a special short made to advertise the movie, not a scene that will be in the final cut. Reminiscent of Olaf and Sven fighting over his nose on the pond.

I'm a big fan of them frankly, we get too much in trailers these days. But I've noticed people frequently react poorly to them.

BrianLo

Speaking of international Disney parks anyone know when the fantasyland expansion in Tokyo is scheduled to open and what ever happened to the frozen plans?

2019 Soarin', 2020 B&TB and the Fantasyland theatre. The big hero whip I'm not totally sure if that's 2019 or 2020.

Frozen is apparently still on the docket for 2021 behind Arabian coast and Indy utilizing the parking lot. I expect we'll hear more about it in the next year.

Kman101

I don't really "do" the water parks (a lot of is because of heights) but I'm already looking forward to planning a stay at Cabana Bay and checking it out.

If we're passholders I was hearing you have to pay to upgrade or something? I need to do some research, do you know @Disneyhead'71 ? I'm sure I'll go and find out now but just curious.

Disneyhead'71

I don't really "do" the water parks (a lot of is because of heights) but I'm already looking forward to planning a stay at Cabana Bay and checking it out.

If we're passholders I was hearing you have to pay to upgrade or something? I need to do some research, do you know @Disneyhead'71 ? I'm sure I'll go and find out now but just curious.
It is $99 to upgrade the Preferred Pass, and $150 to upgrade a Premium Pass.

And there are blackout dates for all of July.

Kman101

Parking isn't free anymore for APs?

Parking is free for Disney passholders. I have a Weekday Select pass and I sure didn't pay $20 this last week anywhere to park :) I love they included parking in this pass finally (but I think he needs to be more clear in his post; I'm getting a bit confused what he's implying)

I also have the Universal Preferred Pass and I sure don't pay for parking either

JoeCamel

Parking is free for Disney passholders. I have a Weekday Select pass and I sure didn't pay $20 this last week anywhere to park :) I love they included parking in this pass finally (but I think he needs to be more clear in his post; I'm getting a bit confused what he's implying)

I also have the Universal Preferred Pass and I sure don't pay for parking either
The fee to upgrade is for the length of AP remaining. If yours expires next month then don't upgrade. Once it expires then you will pay the higher rate for that new pass if you want VB included. You can still buy a pass that does not include VB. Preferred and Premiere passes both have parking included, Premiere also has valet included.

All passes except Premiere are blocked out for July at VB. May be different next year

Last edited:

Kman101

The fee to upgrade is for the length of AP remaining. If yours expires next month then don't upgrade. Once it expires then you will pay the higher rate for that new pass if you want VB included. You can still buy a pass that does not include VB. Preferred and Premiere passes both have parking included, Premiere also has valet included.

All passes except Premiere are blocked out for July at VB. May be different next year

Thank you!

asianway

2019 Soarin', 2020 B&TB and the Fantasyland theatre. The big hero whip I'm not totally sure if that's 2019 or 2020.

Frozen is apparently still on the docket for 2021 behind Arabian coast and Indy utilizing the parking lot. I expect we'll hear more about it in the next year.
Not Arabian Coast, right?

the.dreamfinder

http://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...beauty-and-the-beast-live-action-adaptations/
The Trend of Bloated Live-Action Remakes of Animated Movies Must Be Stopped
Animated films were animated for a reason, and films like Beauty and the Beast and Ghost in the Shell show a disrespect for the art form.
Corey AtadMar 30, 2017
landscape-1490882949-untitled-design-1.png

Hollywood has always been a factory, finding trends and exploiting them until well past viability. The latest product to get manufactured en masse by studio executives is the live-action remake of animated films. It started with Tim Burton's not-so-remake of Alice in Wonderland in 2010. Then came Maleficent, and Cinderella, and The Jungle Book, and now Beauty and the Beast. Disney's business model of capitalizing on our collective childhoods is fully eating its own tail, with many more live-action remakes of classic animated films on the way.

And Disney isn't the only one. Other studios are playing a similar game, remaking classic anime films and series. This weekend, Ghost in the Shell will attempt to bring the incredible 1994 anime film to "life" with star Scarlett Johansson.

There's nothing wrong with this trend per se. Movies get remade and reimagined all the time. People complain, and usually the remakes aren't as good, but then most movies aren't actually that good so it's no big loss. It's not like the originals have disappeared. Yet there is something somewhat perverse about the endeavor to remake animated films in live-action. It's not that studios have found new and interesting ways to tell an old story. Instead, they're making a bet that what audiences really want is the same story—only "real."

It turns out they're not far off base at all. Disney's remakes of their own animated canon have been wildly successful. Beauty and the Beast is on track to make over $1 billion worldwide. Ghost in the Shell will be a harder sell. The trailers are strange, giving little insight into a convoluted plot, and the controversy surrounding its decision to cast white actors in a Japanese story may have tainted perception of the film in some circles. Whitewashing isn't the only problem Ghost in the Shell faces, though. The truth is, the concept of a live-action remake of an animated film is flawed to its core. For whatever gains in supposed realism, there is so much more lost by ditching animation.

On Twitter, Nick Bertke pointed out one of the problems with the recent slate of live-action remakes.

Animated films were animated for a reason. Animators and animation fans often point out that animated films are not a genre, but rather a medium or a format. Animation is merely way of telling a story, with its own unique quirks and advantages. One of those advantages is a degree of exaggerated expression almost entirely unavailable in live-action, where photorealism, as Bertke shows, limits possibilities.

The urge to make a film like Beauty and the Beast—which takes the original, updates it a bit, but sticks to it pretty slavishly—signals a kind of disrespect for animation.

The urge to make a film like Beauty and the Beast—which takes the original, updates it a bit, but sticks to it pretty slavishly—signals a kind of disrespect for animation. There's an implication in the effort that while the animated film might be great, what it could really use is a dose of reality. Animated films are a trifle; live-action films are real films. To remake Beauty and the Beast in live-action confers onto it a dignity usually reserved for films with real photographed actors and photoreal visual effects. I mean, it's not like Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast was a widely acclaimed masterpiece and the first animated film nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars or anything.

In the latest episode of the Slate Culture Gabfest, the hosts talk about their appreciation for the fact that the new Beauty and the Beast mostly stays away from being too theatrical, too "Broadway." The restraint is a plus. But of course. Live-action films, especially modern ones, are meant to avoid all impression of artificiality, theatricality, exaggerated expression. God forbid somebody sing with gusto and the story move with all the force of melodrama. The original Disney film was a direct descendant of Broadway. Alan Menken and Howard Ashman brought their stage sensibility to the music and story of Beauty and the Beast, letting the animators take full advantage of the range available in the medium to take a strikingly simple story and turn it into an epic, classic "tale as old as time."

Ghost in the Shell, meanwhile, featured some of the most impressive animation of any animated film in the '90s. Its melding of traditional and computer animation was used to build a world of incredible intricacy and wild flights of imagination. Its action moved in ways no live-action film ever could. Of course, Hollywood had to try. Sure, it's cool to see impossible stunts in animation, but wouldn't it be cooler if it were "real?"

The appeal of such an attempt is on some level undeniable, but it also misses the point. Animation wasn't used because the action couldn't be done in live-action; rather, it was used because it allowed a fullness of motion and expression to match its story. To reimagine Ghost in the Shell as just another sci-fi action film is to almost entirely miss the point. Its animation was crucial. Take that away, and you'd better have something special to add.

It's not that live-action remakes must be bad. Maleficent was decent enough. Cinderella and The Jungle Book were surprisingly good! Those films each managed to bring something unique to the table outside of the simple fact that they were live-action. Still, the factory mentality of it is unsettling. One of the upcoming Disney remakes is The Lion King, which will be entirely animated, but in a photorealistic way. "Live-action." What's the point? What does that bring to the table except a pitch for seriousness? As though The Lion King isn't one of the most beautiful, majestic family films ever made. As though it doesn't make everyone who watches it cry. As though it doesn't already feature deep human complexity. But like the original Beauty and the Beast, or Ghost in the Shell, I guess it's just not serious enough. Audiences crave something more grounded in reality. So we'll keep remaking animated films in live-action until we run out of animated films—or the box office returns dry up, whichever comes first. And then it'll be off to the next trend.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Trend of Bloated Live-Action Animated Remakes of Animated Movies Manga and Folk Tales Must Be Stopped

Animated films Manga and folktales were animated written/illustrated for a reason, and animated films and anime like Beauty and the Beast and Ghost in the Shell show a disrespect for the art form.

FTFY! Ghost in the Shell and Beauty and the Beast should never have been animated!! Respect art!!!!

Kman101

So basically the author is ranting about Ghost in the Shell and using Disney live action movies, which they say are quite good, as an example? LOL. They really just wanted to rant about Ghost in the Shell.

I don't mind the live action remakes, but there comes a point that you have to wonder if they're pushing it, especially with Dumbo. But I personally don't have any issues with Aladdin, Little Mermaid or even Lion King (though LK gave me a bit of a pause, but I'm now interested in seeing it pulled off). It's obviously a way to capitalize on nostalgia and make some money but it's not like they're all bad films.

Were they "needed"? Probably not. But there's clearly an audience for it. If it keeps the original animated classics in the spotlight for future generations I'm not against it. I'm surprised Pinocchio isn't on the docket yet (maybe it is). Although hasn't it been done?

Last edited:

clemmo

Speaking of uni whatever happened to the secret life of pets dark ride is that still rumored? If not it seems like 2019 could be a gap year in Orlando with nothing new unless SWL opens up just before the clock strikes twelve on NYE.

Mike S

Speaking of uni whatever happened to the secret life of pets dark ride is that still rumored? If not it seems like 2019 could be a gap year in Orlando with nothing new unless SWL opens up just before the clock strikes twelve on NYE.
Plans changed. It seems the Dragon Challenge replacement took precedent.

I'm not complaining :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom